Help req for Easeus PM under Sandboxie

Augeas

• Moderators

I'm trying to format an 8gb flash to EXT3, so I had the bright idea of doing it with Easeus Partition Master. I duly downloaded epm Home Edition 9.1.0 and installed it under Sandboxie, as is my habit (I don't like installing applications for one-off use). I have no epm previous experience, I don't partition disks very often.

When epm launched I had the following error message:

Disk device not detected by EPM, reinstall and don't forbid its driver installing or related registry writing in the anti-virus program's pop-up window.

After closing that I get the epm window with everything greyed out and unclickable, not even Help. There was no av pop-up, of course.

So, any better or easier ways of partitioning the flash drive to ext3? Will epm do it safely? Will epm run under Sandboxie? What am I doing wrong?

Oh yes, XPHSP3

• Moderators

MiniTool Partition Wizard Home (Free) will install and run sandboxed. It can format your flash drive to what you require.

http://www.snapfiles...t/pwizhome.html

In those well worn words ... hope that helps. :)

EDIT: Highlight the partition section (inside area) of the flash drive to get the options shown ...

2012_02_11_173300.jpg

If you highlight the device (outside area), you'll get different options on the left.

• Moderators

Thanks Dennis, that looks like a nice piece of software. I installed and ran it under Sandboxie, then selected the flash drive, selected format to ext3, then applied the change, there was a red light on the flash drive for a few seconds, Partition Wizard said formatting then done, and nothing happened. Did that twice to make sure. I think it could be the Sandboxie environment that's stopping the action.

• Moderators

It is a good program, and after reading your reply, I went back and tried it again, and I managed to format both a camera card and a flash drive to ext3 using it from the sandbox.

2012_02_12_211838.jpg

2012_02_12_211901.jpg

I closed down MiniTool, unplugged them both, stuck them back in again, launched MiniTool again by delving into the Program Files folder in the sandbox (desktop shortcut was gone), and then formatted both back to FAT32.

Two thoughts Augeas ...

Firstly, did you right click the MiniTool installer and select "Run Sandboxed"?

I don't know how else it can be done, but there might be another way which you tried.

Secondly, if it won't work for you from the sandbox, while it's installed in there dig down into the "Program Files" folder and copy the "MiniTool Partition Wizard" folder to somewhere else, maybe onto another flash drive.

2012_02_12_214145.jpg

It will run from a flash drive, and as far as I can find will add only one entry to the registry (a reference to it's location) in the MUI Cache.

That disappeared after I'd tried this and pulled the flash drive. Least ways, I can't find it again today with regedit.

Let me know how you get on.

• Moderators

Computers are just weird aren't they.

Before I posted those suggestions I had a good look around for a portable freeware version of any decent partition-managing application, but came up with nothing.

If I do, I'll let you know.

Gparted will run from a live cd. I've never used it so, but have used a linux version, it worked ok. Will it work for what you want?

http://gparted.sourc...et/download.php

and

http://gparted.sourc...et/features.php

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

Just to finish this off, in case there are any other weirdos trying to do this. No? Ah well.

I gave up with Partition Wizard under Sandboxie, the install wanted to load a couple of drivers and Sandboxie refused, even though I had unblocked driver installs. So I just installed PW anyway and ran it. I formatted the flash drive to a single ext3 partition. So far so average.

I put the flash drive into my Humax PVR so that I could download a large film, in excess of 4 gb. The humax recognised the drive, but when I said copy it replied with zero space available. More surfing required.

Back in Partition Wizard I erased the ext3 partition, and created a 1 gb Fat32 partition. I then clicked on create partition and PW said that Windows couldn't recognise the existing partition, which it quite clearly could as I could copy files to it. Anyway I ignored that and created a 7 gb ext2 partition to fill the drive. Ext2 is supposed to be less resource intensive as it doesn't journal. I stuck the drive back into the Humax, selected copy and it recognised the two partitions. Copy completed.

Back on the PC I ran Linux Reader from DiskInternals and recovered the three files from the Humax. At long last I had my film onto the pc. Phew.