windows doesnt recognize partition as a partition

pwh

I had a hard drive with two partitions, C: (system) and D: (docs). I reformatted and installed a fresh copy of XP on C:. After installing, I went into my computer and double-clicked on D:, but windows didn't know how to open it, as if it was an unrecognized file type.

I chose to open it with explorer, which I figured was the obvious choice (and it worked), but I couldn't choose to "always open with this program" or whatever. How can I get around this and have windows recognize it as the other half of the hard drive?

Hi, pwh. :)

It isn't that your question is being ignored, so much as maybe nobody knows what to say.

Maybe a bit more information would help.

How did you reformat that hard drive?

When you say explorer, does that mean windows explorer, that is, explorer.exe?

What do you see when you open it with explorer?

Can you see and/or access any files on D: ?

edit: what do you see when you right click on D: in windows explorer?

Nuther edit: Some information about the built in Win XP disk management function is here:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/disk_management.htm

That picture is pretty complex, I guess because the author wanted to show lots of examples.

When you run diskmgmt.msc, do you see unallocated or free space?

Be careful with diskmgmt.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

I reformatted it using EASEUS patition master 9. also, when I did boot from disc (the xp install disc) and chose which partition to use, I also formatted it again for good measure, both times in NTFS.

Yes, explorer.exe. I went into the windows system folder and chose to open it with explorer.exe. The weird thing is the box for "always open with this program" is greyed out, no matter what program I choose.

As double clicking leads to the pop up about not knowing how to open it, I can simply right click and choose "explore" and it will open as it normally should, with some folders that have been there sitting there like I expect. I have no problem accessing, adding, or deleting the data on that partition.

I am not at that computer at the moment, but I will update with the last 2 requests soon.

Well, be careful with diskmgmt. From the title of your topic is sounded like there is something wrong with Partition D:. Now it doesn't sound so much like that. Diskmgmt is for modifying partitions...don't do anything with it except maybe look.

I can't tell for sure what you are trying to do.

The Windows system folder is usually "C:\WINDOWS\system32".

Usually if you right click on "C:\WINDOWS\system32" and select "Explore" it just opens it, so you can see the files and folders in it.

Can you give an example of a program you are not able to open, or run? What is its name and file path?

For example on this computer, there is a folder called "C:\Program Files\CCleaner" and in it is a file called "CCleaner.exe". Double clicking CCleaner.exe runs CCleaner. That is, when everything is working right.

Is that the sort of thing that will not work for you since your reinstallation?

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

I dont think we're on the same page here. I'll put it simply since I've probably caused confusion. I can access the data on the D partition no problem. I just cant access it by double clicking; I must right click and choose "explore" instead. Otherwise, everything is fine.

The software I used has a similar function to Diskmgmt, and I remember seeing the status as " ", as in there wasn't one. C:, as to be expected, is listed as "System". I will try to convert it to logical, like how I expect it to say (I've created partitions many times on other computers). I will be able to work on it again tomorrow, so I will update then.

OK, forgive me if I told you something you already knew. Wasn't sure.

I'm still not sure what you're doing, but it looks like you know what you're doing.

Still, it might be interesting to see what diskmgmt shows about free space or partition types.

Post back how it goes.

And a belated welcome. :)

edit: fwiw, this is what diskmgmt shows here, with no unallocated nor free space.

th_diskmgmt1.jpg

This seems to be the answer for most users, you need to delete the hidden file Autorun.inf on the D partition

1. First go to cmd, type “attrib X:\Autorun.inf –s –r –h” without quotes where X is your drive name which is having the problem.

2. Now the file is visible and ready to delete.

3. After deleting the file, close the explorer and open it again or just give a reboot to the computer, your problem is fixed.

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro

Wow. Hazel, MikeW, You guys get my vote for The Golden Laptop Award. 5735.gif

I have a question, though. I obviously didn't understand pwh's question, and maybe still don't. Sorry, pwh, its just me I guess. In windows explorer, explorer.exe, I only have to click once, not twice, on a drive, partition, or folder, to open it and see the contents. A double click is required to run an executable, or open a file, but not to open a drive, etc. Isn't that normal?

( I had a hard drive with two partitions, C: (system) and D: (docs). I reformatted and installed a fresh copy of XP on C:. After installing, I went into my computer and double-clicked on D:, but windows didn't know how to open it, as if it was an unrecognized file type.)

Exploring via My Computer requires a double click in XP to open a drive

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro

MikeW: "Exploring via My Computer requires a double click in XP to open a drive"

Ahhh, cheeese, I gotta get out more. I have never done it that way. Another vast ignorance revealed. :( I always just hit the windows key + e or click on a shortcut to explorer.exe.

• Moderators

Like your C: drive, it will show as a Logical Disk, but maybe you should set it as a "Primary" partition if your software can do that.

I have my system drive partitioned, and the data partition E has always been "Primary", as is my second internal HD.

2012_02_06_214023.jpg

Hi, Dennis. Folder options here are set jlike yours. C: drive is set as a primary partition also. The Acronis disk director shows that better than diskmgmt. .

th_diskmgmt2-acr.jpg

My apologies to the OP also. I didn't understand what pwh was asking. Never need to double click on anything unless to run it.

(This is very off topic so please forgive me.) This is incredible. Can it be, 20 - 30 years from now Hazelnut & Dennis D & Andavaari will be the lone few of the several online grandparent bloggers that will be telling newcomers of weird things like hives, partitions, and the Run command? It's amazing how much everyone associated here knows.

Well, poor pwh has apparently gone, probably ran off screaming, but I do hope to hear how the situation worked out. Looks like Hazelnut's suggestions would have worked.

Sorry, I had been busy. So the autorun file was the culprit. Thanks very much all of you for the help. I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but it's fixed now. If I have anymore problems, I will most likely just reformat that partition as well. Thanks again!