pc not shutting down after auto clean

moriez

Hi,

I am on XP Pro SP3, latest version of Ccleaner. Problem is that /auto /shutdown does not always power-off the pc. I just read this thread but I am not sure if the info applies to me. Could someone clarify why it does not work or help fix it without having to use another app.

Thanks

• Moderators

Hi moriez.

I think you're suffering from the long standing "hanging shut-downs" XP bug, which is obviously an XP issue and not a CCleaner one.

I would suggest installing and running Microsoft's "UPHClean", which will probably fix the issue.

System processes and applications occasionally maintain connections to registry keys in the user profile after a user logs off. In those cases the user session is prevented from completely ending.

http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=6676 (V1.6)

If you have XP 64bit, you will need to use the V2 version here ...

http://blogs.technet...ing-system.aspx

I've been trying the 32bit version of UPHClean V2 for a while now with no issues.

For info, I've used CCleaners "Auto-Shutdown" routine for a long time, and since installing "UPHClean" a few years ago, I've never had a hung shutdown.

Hope that helps.

Unfortunately UPHClean did not solve the problem. I suspect that Sysinternals ProcessExplorer is causing this. I have replaced the default task manager with that one. For now I have it disabled to see if that indeed solves it.

• Moderators

If you decide to keep UPHClean, that should remove the known "XP hung shutdown" possibility.

Looking for something else interfering with it is worth what could be a "time taking" process of elimination. I've no other suggestions at the moment, but if any of the other guys do I'm sure they'll contribute.

No reason to not keep UPHClean ;)

I posted the issue over at the Sysinternals forum and the suggestion is to create a batchfile to run Ccleaner and shutdown. Let's see where that takes us.

Thanks for your reply.

• Moderators

You've found your own solution it seems, although running batch files to do what you want doesn't sound like an ideal one.

Although your reasons for running ProcessExplorer will be your own, could you not get the info you require with something else. Like Windows own Task Manager maybe.

I've had Task Manager starting and running with Windows (minimised to the systray) for a long time, and it gives me what I need in way of an instant visual indication of high or unusual CPU usage.

That one indicator then prompts me, if I think it's necessary, to launch ProcessExplorer to investigate in more detail.

There has never been a problem with CCleaners Auto Shutdown and an active and running XP Task Manger.

Just a thought.

You know what? Although I already settled for it you have a good point. It is not ideal. I use PE/TM for exact the same reason as you do: to have a visual indication of cpu usage in tray. While TM has always been sufficient, PE was needed for some troubleshooting some time ago and I then stuck with it. The batch file actually does a fine job and it even seems to do a faster job at shutting down. Nevertheless.. reconsidering! ^_^

Thanks.

Btw, is it me or did you notice a difference in cpu indication between the two as well?

• Moderators

I've never used PE long enough to compare the two, but if there is a difference I would think readings from either would be similar enough for a sudden spike of high usage to grasp my attention.

Interesting what you say about the perceived quicker shutdown with the batch file. Sometimes there's no figuring computers is there?

Either way, I'm pleased you've sorted your problem.

:)

EDIT: Couldn't resist doing a comparison, and although there is occasionally a slight difference, they're mostly pretty similar.

Took this while Avast was updating ...

2012_01_28_134726.jpg