Missing typelib reference

cnroe

So i ran a registry scan and it has successfully resolved all the issues except one. Everytime i try to fix the issue it will immediately come back so im just wondering if anyone knows what this is and if i even need to fix it and if i do how should i go about doing that. Here is what the pops up everytime

Problem: Missing Typelib Reference

Data: IBackupLocationsShellFolderImpl - {00020424-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

Registry Key: HKCR\Interface\{F0E3A5D7-80C7-4228-90FE-61DF01C417A5}

• Moderators

the Ibackup is usually tied to your antivirus (you wouldn't want them to advertise there existance that's why ccleaner can't match it)

I believe that comes from Norton/Symantec. you can add it to your exclude list

Also best way to "clean" the registry is to follow the advice in my signature

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 1 year later...

For Nergal,

Took note of you signature line from a couple of posts and based upon what I have read it sounds like sound advice but here is my issue. Running the Registry Cleaner on my wife's computer provides over 600 problem registry entries. So what exactly do you mean by "Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)"? Am I supposed to clean one item, close out Ccleaner and see if everything works ok before I move to the next item? I just don't think that is a very realistic option considering the time involved. Is there some guidance to compare registry entries to better determine validity before removing them or am I just stuck with the task of removing and checking system integrity and operability one entry at a time? Thank you for the help.

• Moderators

quickly, though if you have further questions please start your own new topic, the checkmarks on the left pane (registry categories) is what I mean. I then (personally) clean little bits of that at a time (say all the .net 1.023456 entries after .net has become 1.023457).The backup I save, I name it so I can quickly find it (.net_nergalpc3_01262013.reg) Doing this reduces the likelihood that a backup made in the clean will be unable to be remerged.

The most important advice is that cleaning the registry, even with a gentle cleaner such as CCleaner, is dangerous and provides little benefit so only remove entries you know for a fact are unneeded (see paranthetical example above)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com