English Wikipedia to be blacked out for 24 hours

hazelnut

In the end having a "black out" won't change what lawmakers do!

. . .

Quite so. They survive on money and votes. Hopefully if they see that a gazillion persons are against an idea, they will think of it in terms of lost votes, lost money, and vote against it.

There are several sides in any issue, I know a number of writers who lose lots of money when someone puts their work online for free, and it is wrong to do that. They don't have tons of money for legal contests. Don't know many entertainers, but they are in the same boat, I guess.

The Entertainment Industry (note the caps) already has legal remedies available for intellectual property theft, and lots of money to pursue these remedies, but it would be made much easier if the government would just give them special help. So lets swat that fly with a sledge hammer.

There. That oughta start a good bar fight. :P

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

There are several sides in any issue, I know a number of writers who lose lots of money when someone puts their work online for free, and it is wrong to do that. They don't have tons of money for legal contests. Don't know many entertainers, but they are in the same boat, I guess.

The Entertainment Industry (note the caps) already has legal remedies available for intellectual property theft, and lots of money to pursue these remedies, but it would be made much easier if the government would just give them special help. So lets swat that fly with a sledge hammer.

There. That oughta start a good bar fight. :P

@login123, you don't lose money because people share. You lose money becaue people don't pay you. And people don't pay people who sue them.

A ton of people burned their Metallica CD's after they sued thousands of their fans. Those fans never went back. You can't rip your fans & expect them to buy your stuff.

If sharing knowledge = stealing, then not only did you steal every word you posted up here from someone else, you also stole every copyrighted painting you looked at, since you created a mental image. Not only did you not pay for that mental image, you also didn't agree not to reproduce it in any form, whether thinking about it, dreaming about it, drawing it, etc, etc.

I expect the RIAA/MPAA will be knocking on your door! Haha!

So, where are the mental handcuffs? What's next? Reprogramming repeat criminal thought crime offenders into Zombies?

Edit: Sorry about stealing your paragraph by hitting the "Quote" button. I didn't mean to steal. Can I puhlease, please, please have your permission to repeat what you said next time? Oh, don't call me a criminal!

Oops! Just realized. I didn't even have to hit "Quote" to steal it, since reading it is stealing it. My brain automatically stores copies of what you say. Hmmm... Should we just stop thinking?

In the end having a "black out" won't change what lawmakers do!

And by the way there's already websites partially inaccessible to U.S. citizens; as in downloads don't work from them as they're view only!

Your partially correct. Although, you can download from them if you use a Proxy server.

Thats an interesting viewpoint, Super Fast. I had not thought of it before now, but the 'net may change the very meaning of copyrighting a product.

I worry more about abuse of legal authority. This business of blocking sites because the GVT thinks they are not in the population's best interest is dangerous. Sort of reminds me of book burning. "We have decided that you should not read this".

But then, there are those writers . . . they really don't have the cash to combat every kid with a scanner / copier who uploads their books so that one need not buy them to be able to read them. Costs'em money, see?

@ Hazelnut: That is a very nice news site. Gives a different perspective. Saved it to favorites.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Things move on, Megaupload is gone

http://rt.com/usa/ne...uthorities-231/

Crap....there goes all my files I stored. I should have kept them in my Dropbox :(

Amazing how Rapidshare stays on line.

They need to hit the idiots where it hurts.

25qd6wl.jpg

• Moderators

so much for land of the free

It has never been free, they let us do particular things to keep the farce alive.

----------

Edit:

I'm surprised they haven't pulled the plug on YouTube, well at least those "promised music videos" which turn out to be a damned still image screenshot of an album cover playing music. Surely that isn't legal either. :rolleyes:

Why, I'm horrified that they still leave free radio.

Surely, that's the worst piracy of all? I mean, I have a Rockford system in my car.

What happens if the people riding with me bump to some good music? Is that wrong? LOL!

Oh, why did I give gestepado USA ideas, :) Look for FREE radio to be criminalized next, & all those "non-payin pirates" to be jailed!