returning already recovered files to their original locations

immortalfrieza

I recently had a computer crash and lost everything, and I had to reinstall my windows 7 operating system. So I got Recuva to scan my entire computer, find an recover all the files I lost. The problem is that I had not known then about the "restore folder stucture" option, as I had assumed that it would do so automatically. So I recovered all the files but now I have a loooong list of of thousands of files with no way of organizing them into the correct folders and putting them back where they originally were.

Can Recuva be used to help solve this, or does anyone know of a program that I can use which allows me to put files automatically into proper folders for them and place them where they should be so they can operate properly.

• Moderators

If you originally recovered the files to another drive, and it's not too long since your crash, you could retry the recovery with Restore Folder Structure checked. Restore to another device of course. If you can do this with some degree of success you can then copy the folders to where you want them. You can reun Recuva to another device as many times as you wish.

I know of no way to reconstruct the folder structure from a list of files. The info is not held in the files but in the MFT on the original disk, which is why you will have to try rerunning Recuva.

If you originally recovered the files to another drive, and it's not too long since your crash, you could retry the recovery with Restore Folder Structure checked. Restore to another device of course. If you can do this with some degree of success you can then copy the folders to where you want them. You can reun Recuva to another device as many times as you wish.

I know of no way to reconstruct the folder structure from a list of files. The info is not held in the files but in the MFT on the original disk, which is why you will have to try rerunning Recuva.

Thanks for answering. The big problem is that I in fact didn't recover the files to a different drive because I only have one, I recovered them to the drive that they came from. Unfortunately, all the recovered files as is already fill up most all of my storage capacity so I can't redo the file recovery until I figure out how to get rid of them so I have the room to recover them again. I'm having a major run a bad luck apparently. It would probably take a while, but could I store those files elsewhere, such as some sort of online storage, should I delete them, or use some other method so I can rerun Recuva?

• Moderators

I don't think that your chances are high. Recovering to the same device usually wipes out much of the info that was used to create the recovery list, in other words the recovery tends to overwrite the data that's being recovered. It's made worse by the fact that the disk is nearly full.

You could run a Recuva scan to see what's found. It's very unlikey that you will see anything representing the original scan.

I don't think that your chances are high. Recovering to the same device usually wipes out much of the info that was used to create the recovery list, in other words the recovery tends to overwrite the data that's being recovered. It's made worse by the fact that the disk is nearly full.

You could run a Recuva scan to see what's found. It's very unlikey that you will see anything representing the original scan.

I already have rescanned. I've looked though quite a few of the recovered files and noticed that they were the same as the ones that I had recovered earlier, but I can't recover them because I don't have enough space.

Don't you have a flash drive you could recover to? Or a RW cd? It depends on how many GB you're recovering.

The files I recovered were enough to almost completely fill a C: drive with almost 1000 GB worth of room, so I suppose I'm screwed here. (I've been downloading a carload of stuff).

Anyway, I've decided to just take what recovered files I can that would be a pain to redownload and delete everything else.