Advice on new vid card

Corona

I have an ATI Radeon HD 4200 in my Win 7 (64) HP Pavillion. And 8 gigs ram wasted on it. The 4200 is dropping my Windows Experience Index to 4.0, the limit for Aero graphics & such. Any others familiar with ATI graphics cards that could suggest a good mid-level ATI graphics card that would hold out well for a few more years?

I know I could scrounge around online myself, but damn, all of Piriform is just incredible. Learn from the best. cheer.gif

I have a 5770 in my rig right now, and it performs very well. I've been considering upgrading recently, just for the sake of upgrading to the 6870 but I'd say 5770 is still a great card.

Good luck finding it though :(

6700 series would probably be a safe bet, if you can find it in stock

DD3?

I checked your current GPU (AMD HD 4200) and it uses PCI-E (PCI-Express) interface, so the new card should be compatible, because (almost) all new cards are PCI-E.

I guess the only thing is that too big card (or card with big cooler) might not fit in your case, but budjet/mid-level GPU's are usually pretty small and take only 1 slot (from the rear of the case).

DD3?

I checked your current GPU (AMD HD 4200) and it uses PCI-E (PCI-Express) interface, so the new card should be compatible, because (almost) all new cards are PCI-E.

I guess the only thing is that too big card (or card with big cooler) might not fit in your case, but budjet/mid-level GPU's are usually pretty small and take only 1 slot (from the rear of the case).

I took a look at those AMD 6870s and they seem to be double-slotted (using 2 aluminim port openings in the back of the PC...If they're called something else please, please correct me.) It seems I have 4 continuous aluminum port openings available.

I might have to go to Best Buy (I know, I know, it's my only choice out here in the sticks) to "ask" more about this, just to see if my PC is built and ready for this change. (All talk, no spending.) If it's doable I'll definitely get the card from New Egg.

Thanks for confirming my old card is PCI-Express. Speccy doesn't mention that.

Oh, Speccy shows my actual PCs' RAM is DDR3. My bad. ^_^