Wiped a partition 3 passes, now I can't read or reformat it....

montejw360

In safe mode try ► Start\Admin Tools\Computer Mgmt\Storage\Disk Mgmt right-click and delete volume.

Didn't think of that, thanks, I'll give it a try. Do you know if it's normal for a wiped partition to show up as unusable/unreadable/unformattable?

In safe mode try ► Start\Admin Tools\Computer Mgmt\Storage\Disk Mgmt right-click and delete volume.

Didn't work. I had mistakenly wiped the "Recovery" partition on my Windows 7 pc. Yes, I typed "ERASE", and CCleaner did just that, erase. Well that makes/made my pc unbootable, so no safe mode. Thank the heavens, and MS for Windows Home Server. It was able to restore the partition and all is well.

But my original question still stands, or at least is now, is it normal for a 3 Pass Wipe to make a partition "almost" unformattable? I'm guessing in safe mode I might have been able to reformat it, but I couldn't boot the computer to try it.

Firstly, I've tested and found that free space wipe gets only 1 pass, when electing 3 passes.

Test ► a 63.4 GB free space wipe, single pass took 0:10:40. Immediately afterward a 3-pass ran 0:10:03. Electing 3 passes should have taken much longer, not less.

Secondly, I guess the only reason why you had trubbs afterward is cos you messed with the Recovery volume.

Anyway, a happy ending cos Windows Home Server saved the day! :)

Didn't work. I had mistakenly wiped the "Recovery" partition on my Windows 7 pc.

Do you mean the tiny 100 MB partition labelled "System Reserved" which by default has no drive letter and is not accessible to CCleaner,

Or some other O.E.M. partition with undefined properties that tries to restore all the junk free software that comes with a pre-installed system and no installation disc?

Yes, I typed "ERASE", and CCleaner did just that, erase.

I have never done this, but I thought that "ERASE" only applied to wiping out all the contents of a partition,

and did NOT happen when simply wiping free space.

I'm guessing in safe mode I might have been able to reformat it, but I couldn't boot the computer to try it.

Do you just mean that Safe Mode failed and you could only boot normally ?

If you cannot boot the computer were you able to even launch

Start\Admin Tools\Computer Mgmt\Storage\Disk Mgmt

i.e. did it fail to launch, or did it launch and see your "Recovery" partition and then fail to do anything with it ?

Do you mean the tiny 100 MB partition labelled "System Reserved" which by default has no drive letter and is not accessible to CCleaner,

Or some other O.E.M. partition with undefined properties that tries to restore all the junk free software that comes with a pre-installed system and no installation disc?

I'm guessing monte alludes to the 11.5GB(D:) Recovery partition, which I too have on Win7.