The Firefox/Mozilla Thread

nodles

• Moderators

Aren't they supposed to end legacy support for OSes like XP and Vista in version 55.0?

If so that would equal no updating browsers for those systems, maybe then time to get a lightweight Linux distro on this old machine.

1 hour ago, Andavari said:

. . .  time to get a lightweight Linux distro on this old machine.

GASP!!   Another one bites the dust.  :o 

Serious question.  What is the latest ESR version you guys can run on xp, assuming it has the necessary processor capabilities?
I have had success up to 52.8.0, will try 52.8.1 when time permits. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/end-support-windows-xp-and-vista

Firefox 52 ESR security updates for XP and Vista users will continue until August 2018

ps. not on my xp - you know my problem ;-) long time ago ff-version works (48 or so)

How can I get the newest features of Firefox?

• (Advanced): Switch to a Linux-based operating system. Please see the support websites for the version of Linux that you're interested in. :-)

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

4 hours ago, login123 said:

I have had success up to 52.8.0, will try 52.8.1 when time permits. 

i mean until v52.9.x - the end of the ff legacy v52 line

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

2 hours ago, Andavari said:

I delete all the 64-bit stuff I don't need which cuts the file size in half.

oh yes, i (me?) too :-) i use only the 32 bit versions

DO-IT-YOURSELF-SEMI-PORTABLE-PROFILES-OPTION:  :rolleyes: B)

It don't need Portable Apps for making FF portable - he's simply portable with Profiles in the Firefox folder.

(the Profilemanger is a on board option).

I use this method (and multiple profiles) for Years ...

Firefox Downloads in 32-bit OR/AND 64-bit (many languages) ...

https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

# Rename to Firefox Setup 52.8.1esr.exe.ZIP

# Unpack the core folder - rename it to e.g. Firefox.

# Create an empty folder with a Profilename e.g. My52

and then (attention: adapt the standard-paths direct into the firefox folder) ... 

(e.g. create a link to the firefox.exe and then add firefox.exe -P (or -p or -ProfileManager = any of them should work)

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=Managing+profiles

OR

https://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Firefox-Profile

at least once a day : to think different ;o)

• Moderators

For me it's quicker to just use the PortableApps.com portable version. Then after it unpacks I run a single batch file that automatically deletes all the 64-bit files I don't need and then it automatically repacks the whole thing with just the 32-bit files I require along with my profile using 7-Zip Standalone Console taken from 7-Zip Extra.

• 2 weeks later...

ff v52.9.0 esr

26. june 2018

Fixed

ff v61.0

26. june 2018

New

• Enhanced performance:

• Faster page rendering with Quantum CSS improvements and the new retained display list feature
    • Faster switching between tabs on Windows and Linux
    • WebExtensions now run in their own process on MacOS
  • Convenient access to more search engines: You can now add search engines to the address bar “Search with” tool from the page action menu when on a webpage that provides an OpenSearch plugin

• Share links from Firefox for MacOS more easily: You can now share the URL of an active tab from the page actions menu in the address bar

• Improved security:

• On-by-default support for the latest draft of the TLS 1.3 specification
    • Access to FTP subresources inside http(s) pages has been blocked
  • A more consistent user experience: Improvements for dark theme support across the entire Firefox user interface

• More customization for tab management: added support to allow WebExtensions to hide tabs

• Improved bookmark syncing

Fixed

Changed

• The settings for customizing your homepage and new tab page in Firefox have been added to a new Preferences section that can be accessed from Firefox at about:preferences#home. The settings can also be accessed via the gear icon on the New Tab page.

unresolved

• Users with Avast or AVG security software using the HTTPS Scanning feature may get an error message (SSL_ERROR_RX_RECORD_TOO_LONG) when trying to access secure sites. Workarounds are available from this support article until fixed versions of Avast and AVG are available

ff v60.1.0 esr

26. june 2018

Fixed

This version, 52.8.1, suggests to update to 52.9.0. Is the portableapps  com version up yet? 
There are little firefoxes all over the place, but not portable version 52.9.0 esr, only installers?

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

• Moderators

The PortableApps version sometimes takes awhile before it's available. Also with Firefox suggesting to update that's why I set it to 'never check for updates...', because I'd imagine if allowed to update it would mess up the PortableApps version.

59 minutes ago, Andavari said:

The PortableApps version sometimes takes awhile before it's available. Also with Firefox suggesting to update that's why I set it to 'never check for updates...', because I'd imagine if allowed to update it would mess up the PortableApps version.

no, it doesn't,I updated mine some days ago without problems

6 hours ago, hazelnut said:

Yes, Hazelnut, it is. Thank you.  I wondered about that because the naming convention is different.

That file name is FirefoxPortableLegacy52_52.9.0_English.paf. . .
Earlier files saved here are named like : 
FirefoxPortableESR_52.7.4_English.paf
FirefoxPortableESR_52.8.1_English.paf, etc

Also, thanks patrickdrd, but ffox here runs sandboxed so I can't update it "on the fly". 
Upside is that if anything goes blooey it is easily fixed.
Downside is the time required to make changes, updates, etc, 

• Moderators
7 hours ago, patrickdrd said:

no, it doesn't,I updated mine some days ago without problems

Updated what, your reply doesn't tell me much? Did you update an installed version you had alongside the PortableApps.com version, or did you update the PortableApps.com version? And as far as letting the PortableApps.com version auto-update for which the update comes from Mozilla not PortableApps.com I know for a fact that it causes issues because I've had to previously restore it from a backup I luckily had.

Note that we were referring to the ESR build. Also note that as of a few seconds ago PortableApps.com still shows only v52.8.1 ESR is available on the official webpage located here: https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox-portable-esr

13 hours ago, Andavari said:

Updated what, your reply doesn't tell me much? Did you update an installed version you had alongside the PortableApps.com version, or did you update the PortableApps.com version? And as far as letting the PortableApps.com version auto-update for which the update comes from Mozilla not PortableApps.com I know for a fact that it causes issues because I've had to previously restore it from a backup I luckily had.

Note that we were referring to the ESR build. Also note that as of a few seconds ago PortableApps.com still shows only v52.8.1 ESR is available on the official webpage located here: https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox-portable-esr

Fwiw.  Just ran the paf.exe file Hazelnut pointed to, it is indeed the portable version 52.9.0 ESR, has the 32 and 64 bit folders, runs fine here on xp 32.  No smoke or strange noises, so now to go about setting it up permanently. :) 

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Firefox 61.0.2. is out.

For Windows users, it comes with a new feature that will automatically restore a user's browsing sessions after Windows restarts. This is particularly useful, if Windows restarted your computer to install updates while you had Firefox open.

“Adds support for automatically restoring your Firefox session after Windows restarts," Mozilla announced in their release notes. "Currently, this feature is not enabled by default for most users, but will be gradually enabled over the coming weeks."

After a Windows restart if you don't want Firefox to restart with all the tabs you had open here is how to turn the option off.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/software/mozilla-firefox-6102-released-with-new-automatic-restore-feature-for-windows/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

?????

I'm sure Firefox already had the option to restore last session even after a shutdown/restart.

Not something I would use, I have it set to always start a new session, but I'm sure the option was already there.

Am I missing something here?

PS. I've never had Windows restart on it's own.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

3 hours ago, JDPower said:

So revolutionary. I've had my Firefox set up to do this for years - tabs restored from last session and FF set to run at startup :lol:

Chrome has a similar feature that I've noticed but never seen discussed, so does Windows Explorer!

I think this is something Microsoft is trying to take on as a UX problem (ie. unexpected restarts interrupt a user's workflow in a very destructive way) 

Timeline on Windows 10 and the upcoming (or released? I'm not sure) "Sets" feature I've seen talked about seem to be about remembering the context of your open applications and restoring them when appropriate.