The Firefox/Mozilla Thread

nodles

• Moderators

There's an about:config pref to disable to new download manager. I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread

browser.download.useToolkitUI

To get the old download manager, paste the above into the about:config search bar and toggle to "true".

• Moderators

Disabling the "new" download manager and reverting back to the "old" good one just doesn't work correctly, as in it will not behave like the old download manager did so I found it pointless to use after about a week or so, and thus returned to the p.o.s. "new" one.

• Moderators

Disabling the "new" download manager and reverting back to the "old" good one just doesn't work correctly

i also found reverting back didn't work properly. the download window would pop-up but not show anything. the download would still work though.

i don't mind the new method, i like the 'in-view' feature of showing the progress bar and the time left in the download icon.

but it did take some getting used to FF killing the download if you quit FF - that is a strange development.

made me try PaleMoon, but of course, being so similar, it too has the some 'feature'.

but i'm liking PM and have stuck to it (thanks to @Alan_B constant praise)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

See I use "DownloadThis" add-on and have never used either old (crappy) or new (crappier) native download manger

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

closing the firefox window while a download is running and the download window is open will NOT cancel the download.

hmmm, just double checked and, yes, you are right, but that wasn't the case in the recent past.

i certainly was having the same issue @eL_PuSHeR mentioned, must have been in a previous version (or I have lost my marbles)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

See I use "DownloadThis" add-on...

Never heard of DownloadThis however later on I will install DownThemAll which I had forgotten all about until your post reminded me of download manager add-ons, that alone should de-crapify the Firefox downloading experience.

• Moderators

Never heard of DownloadThis however later on I will install DownThemAll which I had forgotten all about until your post reminded me of download manager add-ons, that alone should de-crapify the Firefox downloading experience.

:lol: yeah that's the one couldn't remember the full actual name I guess.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

hmmm, just double checked and, yes, you are right, but that wasn't the case in the recent past.

i certainly was having the same issue @eL_PuSHeR mentioned, must have been in a previous version (or I have lost my marbles)

I use Nightly, which is 3 versions ahead of 'release' firefox, so it could be.

• Moderators

I think you guys must be using a later and possibly more "progressive" version of Firefox than my version 12.0, because I reverted to the old download manager after using that huge space wasting new one just a couple of times.

Since then, it's worked perfectly and exactly as it did before.

I also use a third party download manager, but for run of the mill small downloads such as installers, images etc the old FF one is absolutely fine.

• Moderators

I think you guys must be using a later and possibly more "progressive" version of Firefox than my version 12.0...

I'm using the newest available Firefox Portable by PortableApps.com. Really the only reason I'm even bothering to use it is because Comodo Dragon has issues loading some sites, for instance the Adobe Flash Player download page which it endless tries to load but never can not even with all addons/extensions disabled.

• 3 weeks later...

Tonight's nightly (2013-06-25) will include the version bump to 25.0a1. Many people on mozillazine suspect that Australis (the new UI that I've shown above in UX) will land during 25 (skipping 24 because it's an ESR)

Firefox 22 should be landing on stable tomorrow as well.

The new v22 release really makes a massve improvement on Javascript performance. Using BananaBench to test, FF21 showed the gameplay stuttery, FF22 it runs smooth, evidence of that is in the test stats:

FF21

preload : 25.528 seconds

startup : 28.482 seconds

gameplay: 95.018 total seconds

gameplay: 83.679 JS seconds

FF22

preload : 26.4 seconds

startup : 24.935 seconds

gameplay: 40.588 total seconds

gameplay: 31.606 JS seconds

Who knows how much that will impact general FF usage but a big improvement where it does.

Currently it's just a mockup for private browsing, but I'd love to use it anytime.

Edit:

Firefox 22 Release Notes:

http://www.mozilla.o...0/releasenotes/

Firefox 23 Beta

http://www.mozilla.o...a/releasenotes/

Firefox 24 Aurora (not up yet)

http://www.mozilla.o...a2/auroranotes/