CCleaner takes several minutes to analyze because of the Temporary Files.

Newtype

Hi, I'm not reporting this as a bug because it doesn't happen on my other computer that has the same OS, but when I analyze, it takes around 4 minutes for it to finish because it gets stuck at 25% when it is scanning the System Temporary Files. I tried unchecking Temporary Files and analyzing took 2 seconds. Also, the option to only delete temp files that haven't been used in the last 24 hours is enabled. I don't know why it does this only on my computer. I've always taken good care of it. I use CCleaner every day, I always do clean installs, I'm using the latest version of CCleaner, I run antivirus scans with NOD32, I defrag, etc. Does anyone know why it does this?

Here are my system specs:

Operating System

MS Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3

CPU

Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2.20GHz

RAM

2.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz

Motherboard

ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5GC-MX/1333

Graphics

SMB2430H (1920x1080@60Hz)

256MB GeForce 7300 GT (ASUStek Computer Inc)

Hard Drives

313GB Western Digital WDC WD3200AAKS-00B3A0 (SATA)

Thanks for reading.

Edit: I meant "24 hours", not "48 hours".

Edited by Newtype

The reason it takes so long is probably because a) your temporary files folder is big, or B) it has a lot of files in it. You should check what is in C:\Documents and Settings\[Profile]\Local Settings\Temp and C:\Windows\Temp and delete files that have no use (e.g. install files that you have already installed).

I don't have the option to only delete temp files that haven't been used in the last 48 hours enabled but have never found there to be an issue when deleting the contents of my temp folder using CCleaner.

The reason it takes so long is probably because it has a lot of files in it. You should check what is in C:\Documents and Settings\[Profile]\Local Settings\Temp and C:\Windows\Temp and delete files that have no use (e.g. install files that you have already installed).

I don't have the option to only delete temp files that haven't been used in the last 48 hours enabled but have never found there to be an issue when deleting the contents of my temp folder using CCleaner.

Thanks, you were right! My Temp folder had lots of files in it. However, I don't understand why.

With the "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 24 hours" setting enabled, CCleaner found 1 file after analysis.

With the setting disabled, it found 4802 files after analysis.

Is this a bug? There's no way I amassed 4802 files in the last 24 hours. Some of those files were probably there ever since I got my computer! So why wasn't CCleaner deleting those files when the 24 hour setting was enabled?

• Moderators

not bug each of those files has been either created or modified within the last 24 hours, yes it happens

first clean uncheck the 24 hours clean all of the temp folder

let it empty those 4000+ files

then decide whether to check the 24 hour box or not (I've never fold a reason to have it checked, and find much more comes off my computer if I don't check it)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com