Utilize free space on other drives

sgadecki

An excellent feature would be to utilize free space across ALL installed drives. This way if a drive is full, it can still be defragmented using free space on other drive(s) where it is available.

For example, I want to defrag F: drive, but it only has 4% free space, however G: drive has 60% free space that could be utilized for a temporary swap file during the defrag process.

• Moderators

I haven't seen no defragmenter that could do that (and I have tried a lot of them). It may compromise data integrity but who knows.

That's what I was thinking along the lines of.

Of course the ultimate solution is to invest in bigger capacity hard disks, even beyond the capacity you think you'll ever need so as to not have the issue in the first place.

That's a bit complex.

Well, I think the correct way is to delete any junk or used files BEFORE defragmenting because that would result to less files that needed to be defraged and it further improves performance and effciency. Not all people have huge capacities so I guess we need more people to learn to keep things clean.

I have read somewhere that too much defragging can be bad for the hard disk espcially on sollid state drives. I only advise it once every 2 weeks after a through disk cleanup.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

• Moderators

I have read somewhere that too much defragging can be bad for the hard disk espcially on sollid state drives. I only advise it once every 2 weeks after a through disk cleanup.

I've been defragmenting everyday on this computer for 8 years straight, sometimes more than once per day but those are quick and over so nothing too stressing and not one problem, I did exactly the same with my previous computer for 5 years straight. However I don't have any SSD drives which I do know are not supposed to be defragged.

SGA, this is a seemingly good idea, initially, but it would run into the following problems:

As of Windows ME & later, they all have system restore & various other things that work in the background that fill up drives.

If you have 4% free space & wish to defrag using other drives free space, that may work, but it will leave you with still 4% space left.

Meaning, you would still be unable to use the drive properly. Because Windows needs free space, Firefox/Explorer/Opera etc need free space, programs need free space, & so on. This would do NOTHING to FIX the problem, which would be -> low free space.

Best way to fix your problem, is:

- Run CCleaner

- Clear your restore points

- Uninstall toolbars & programs you no longer use

- Move all your music & movies to an external or flash drive

Or, just get a bigger drive & don't worry about the low space.

I like your idea, but it just won't fix the root of the problem.