Optimize Defraggler

Super Fast

Currently, Defraggler only consolidates files & free space.

This eliminates free space fragmentation, but Windows still suffers from File Fragmentation.

Look at the example below, to get an idea of what I mean by this.

Let User Files = -, System Files = +, & Free Space = *

-> Fragmented -> -/+/*/-/-/-/-/+/+/-/*/*/*/*/-/*/-/*/*/*/-/+/+/-/*/-/+/*/*/-/*/+/-/+/* (UF/SF/FS are randomly placed. No optimization)

-> Defragged -> -/+/+/-/+/+/-/-/+/+/+/-/-/-/-/+/-/+/+/-/+/-/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/* (UF/SF are randomly placed. FS is together. Partial optimization)

Proposed new defrag pattern:

-> Defragged -> +/+/+/+/+/+/+/+/+/+/+/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/* (SF/UF/FS are all together. Complete optimization)

The reason this is bad, is because as a drive grows in size, the amount of space between system files grows expotentially.

The Windows files are the most critical to performance, as these are the ones that it uses the most to keep Windows loaded.

As Windows files are placed ever further apart, the file fragmentation slows systems expotentially with the growth of user files.

Eventually, Windows has no choice but to jump multi-GB of user videos/games/files just to get to the next system file.

By grouping all Windows/system files together, these gaps are eliminated, & system performance increases.

This is very easily accomplished. Defraggler could do the following:

Automatically sort System Files to the fastest part of the drive, followed by user files. (Defraggler can scan for all Microsoft files)

OR, it can do the following:

Folder grouping:

-> Windows - Since most of the system files are in this folder (including System32), place the whole folder at the fastest part of the drive

-> Program Files - Probably the next most system files. Place right after Windows folder

-> Users folder - Place this folder after Program Files folder, & all other user files after this.

* Everyone knows that jumping sectors to find files decreases performance. Not everyone also knows that having system files spread in between GB of user files ALSO decreases performance, since Windows still has to jump across them to find the system files it needs.

Please allow users the option to group system files in a future release. It would solve file fragmentation problems. It doesn't matter where user files are located as much as it does the System files.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

+1

Though, it would be even better if we can customize the order of files and folders and have an initial predefined list of SF folders and their order (i.e. %SystemRoot%, %WinDir%, %ProgramFiles%, %ProgramFiles(x86)%, %AppData%, %UserProfile% etc.).

1. I am not a computer person really -- so my question might be very basic -- I just had my system re-installed and the defragler was down to 0 == now after 3 weeks it will only go down to 24%. What do I have on the machine or am doing to create just a high fragmentation?

I am not a computer person really -- so my question might be very basic -- I just had my system re-installed and the defragler was down to 0 == now after 3 weeks it will only go down to 24%. What do I have on the machine or am doing to create just a high fragmentation?

☑ Tick these 3 boxes dep56p.png and then tick ☑ Filename RECo7.png and click Defrag Checked.

Finish with a Boot Time Defrag. 35bv39e.png

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks I did this -- I will see how it works. The files are not temporary internet files... they are temporary system files but have not been on it since I did what you said to do.

I also don't really know what boxes should be marked on the cccleaner. I have marked everything in the first two sections (except for history and passwords) and then on system I have the first 6 marked, last 5 not marked and then on advanced -- nothing marked. Is that correct? Registry cleaner I have them all marked. Thanks for your assistance. This computer has had issues and hope this will resolve it.