3 Terabyte drive: "Analysis Failed."

Virtual Ron

I have a WD Ext HDD 1021 USB connected, 3 Terabyte Hard drive.

After a little time, Defraggler will sense that it is connected (though not usually immediately, as for hard drives.

Any time that I try to analyze the drive for fragmentation, Defraggler returns the message "Analysis failed".

I am using the latest version of Defraggler. I am running Windows XP, not Windows 7.

Thanks for the head's-up. Is there any indication that this is being addressed? It would seem likely that dirves are not going to be getting any smaller...

Ah-- strike that question-- found it in another thread and forum: yes, apparently the issue is being "looked into". Good t hear.

• 5 weeks later...

Ah...I was wondering why it kept failing. Well, I guess I'll fall back to MyDefrag till the problem is resolved.

I was really looking forward to using Defraggler. I have 2 of the 3TB WD Drives and it would have worked

really well schedule-wise.

Thanks for the heads-up!

I used to use MyDefrag instead of Defraggler, but now I use more Defraggler than MyDefrag. MyDefrag is slower and crashes more easily, but it might do a bit "better" work than Defraggler. Defraggler can be used also as portable, which is good. Also MyDefrag haven't been updated in a while; v4.3.1 came ~1,5 years ago.

• 4 months later...

To whom it may concern,

I am running a Vista box and a Win7 box each with a WD My Book Essentials 3TB Ext HDD (WDBACW0030HBK-NESN) that also show ''Analysis Failed''. I also own the same but in 2TB drives (WDBACW0020HBK-NESN) that analyze and defrag just fine.

I frequently use quick defrag: df X: /QD

For the 3TB drives, I use the OS defrag: %windir%\system32\defrag.exe X:

until Piriform.com gets this issue fixed. I hope it will be soon. I'm migrating to 4TB and 8TB drives soon.

Thank you for your time.

John Callaghan, Eng.