How do I restore the registry copy I made before cleaning?

jdthackery

• Moderators

Also it only backs up what you removed, not the whole registry

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 3 weeks later...

Find the file, right click and Merge.

► The file will be named cc_00000000.reg (with a unique number).

Hello. when I tried to do this, I received an error message: Cannot import C:\Users\Tish\Documents\cc_...........reg. Error accessing the registry.

I think I have inadvertently messed up my computer. Never had problems simply deleting all the files using CC's default settings. However, I am now unable to access my husband's desktop and I think it might be because of registry files which were cleaned. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tish

P.S. I am NOT what I would consider computer savvy or literate.

Also are you having any other problems with your computer recently?

Is your anti virus up to date and the scans coming up clean?

Scans are all coming up clean and my anti-virus is UTD. It began with my computer not shutting down properly, going to a blue screen w/the message "Preparing to configure Windows. Do not shut computer off..." It was stuck there for hours (overnight actually), so I had to shut it down. Now upon rebooting, I am taken to a black screen with the choice of starting in several different safe modes or in the normal mode. For a while, I could not access my husband's desktop. The message said the User Profile Service had failed, or something like that. I was able to find a solution, which included some regedit changes that I followed to a tee, online.

I am fairly confident I do not have a virus. I recalled that during my last use of CCleaner, the cleaner seemed to pick up many more files in the registry cleaning than ever before even though I had not ticked any additional categories to be cleaned (if that makes sense). Not knowing any better, I had CC fix "all selected problems." I believe this is the root of my problems. In looking at my CCleaner registry cleaner, ALL the boxes are ticked for some reason. I never checked them all and am clueless as to why they are all checked now. In any event, I always make a back up of the registry before I clean it, and noticed the size of the latest CC registry back-up is more than FOUR TIMES the size of previous files. Weird. I would like to "merge" or restore the files somehow, but I keep getting the same error message I posted initially.

I will try it again in Safe Mode to see if I can get it done. Any other suggestions you might have are welcome! Thanks.

. . . ALL the boxes are ticked for some reason. I never checked them all and am clueless as to why they are all checked now.

Unfortunately the boxes are ticked by default. I would like to see them unticked, so users would have to choose what to clean.

• Moderators

It began with my computer not shutting down properly, going to a blue screen w/the message "Preparing to configure Windows. Do not shut computer off..." It was stuck there for hours (overnight actually), so I had to shut it down. Now upon rebooting, I am taken to a black screen with the choice of starting in several different safe modes or in the normal mode. For a while, I could not access my husband's desktop. The message said the User Profile Service had failed, or something like that. I was able to find a solution, which included some regedit changes that I followed to a tee, online.

Quoted above is info that you really should have put in your first post.

What is your operating system.... Vista, XP or Windows 7?

You need to run a system file check but how you do that depends on what your operating system is.

Do you have a disk for your operating system?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

You need to run a system file check but how you do that depends on what your operating system is.

Sorry, Hazlenut, I didn't think to add all that info on my first inquiry. My operating system is Windows 7 and I do not have a disk. I was able to successfully merge the backed up registry files while in Safe Mode. Unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem. Still get stuck in the "Preparing to Configure Windows, Do not shut computer off..." when shutting down. Darn. It. Back to the drawing board.

I forgot to ask: What is a system file check? Thanks.

Unfortunately the boxes are ticked by default. I would like to see them unticked, so users would have to choose what to clean.

I've never really paid any attention to it, actually. Whenever I've used the Cleaner, I also performed a Registry cleaning, opting to fix all things found, and have never had any problems. The last one took longer than usual and netted many more registries than ever before. I don't know why.

• Moderators
Preparing to Configure Windows, Do not shut computer off..

you have a stuck windows update

you need to system restore to the last date you successfully were able to reboot the system without this message. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/preparing-to-configure-windows-please-do-not-turn/99a1e8f6-5939-43f4-b884-1b48f85555fa

http://www.tipandtrick.net/2008/endless-reboot-loop-while-configuring-updates-stage-3-of-3-during-vista-sp1-installation/

that's for vista but I'm pretty sure it's the same still with 7

imho this is coincidental with the ccleaning. However from now on with this or any registry cleaner follow the advice in my signature

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

you have a stuck windows update

you need to system restore to the last date you successfully were able to reboot the system without this message. http://answers.micro...84-1b48f85555fa

http://www.tipandtri...1-installation/

that's for vista but I'm pretty sure it's the same still with 7

imho this is coincidental with the ccleaning. However from now on with this or any registry cleaner follow the advice in my signature

Thanks, Nergal. Will give it a try again. I have tried to do a System Restore since this all started, but have been unable to do so. My system gets stuck doing it whether in Safe Mode or normal mode. If that doesn't work, I have a network engineer scheduled to get my computer this afternoon so he can fix whatever needs fixing.

Thanks, again.

Tish

Tish, I would like to hear what fixed it, if it isn't too much trouble. :)

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• 3 years later...

I found this when I was doing a search on piriform.

How do I restore registry backups?

Right-click on the .REG file created and select 'Merge'.
By default these files will be saved into your 'My Documents' folder.

It worked for me.