VERY! slow secure deletion in latest version 3.12.1572

wtd3

Hello,

I just upgraded from version 3.11.1550 to the latest version 3.12.1572 and have always forever used the 35-pass deletion process. Now with the latest version the 35-pass delete process takes FOREVER!! Even the single pass is a lot slower. I did not change any setting from the previous version or add more things to delete/clean. To trouble shoot the issue, I tried uninstalling CCleaner and reboot my pc and reinstalling CCleaner and it is still taking forever to delete stuff. Next I tried uninstalling CCleaner again and rebooting my PC and then installing the previous version prior to this...version 3.11.1550...and it deletes at 35-pass very fast again.

Is anyone else experiencing slow delete/cleans? Is there a bug or resolution?

FYI, I am using Window 7 Pro 64-Bit with all the latest Windows updates.

Thanks,

wtd3

• Moderators

Possibly something they've fixed or tweaked, and also they've included the ability to get rid of Cluster Tips so that may be the reason. I've noticed no difference in using the 1-pass myself.

And like Winapp2.ini stated using 35-pass is a waste of your time, plus it stresses your hard disk - search the forums for valid reasons why by reading previous topics. Rest assured CCleaner's 1-pass is more than enough.

i was having the same issue, even though i only used the 7 pass erasing option. although i appreciate that the higher the erasing option chosen can slow things down, surely it shouldn't make such a vast difference, should it? mine went from 1.5secs approx to 1.5 minutes. reverted to previous version and speed back to 1.5 secs. what change has been made to influence such a drastic time increase?

i was having the same issue, even though i only used the 7 pass erasing option. although i appreciate that the higher the erasing option chosen can slow things down, surely it shouldn't make such a vast difference, should it? mine went from 1.5secs approx to 1.5 minutes. reverted to previous version and speed back to 1.5 secs. what change has been made to influence such a drastic time increase?

Exactly my problem and waiting for an answer like you as to what is causing the cleaning time increase. Anyone know?

I have the same problem. Went from cleaning in a matter of minutes to taking hours to complete. It does not make a difference if I check or uncheck the cluster tips and alternate data streams. Something is broke. I've tried to reinstall three times and I get the same result.

I have the same problem. Went from cleaning in a matter of minutes to taking hours to complete. It does not make a difference if I check or uncheck the cluster tips and alternate data streams. Something is broke. I've tried to reinstall three times and I get the same result.

Same as what ?

Same O.S. ?

Same 7 Pass ?

Same 35 Pass ?

Hi folks,

Same problem, if it really is a problem with the latest build of ccleaner, taking more than twice as long now to do a clean on my windows 7 32 bit system, I do have the cluster tips selected, maybe that is it, I don't know. I have the 7 pass selected and never had any problems with the length of time needed on previous builds.

paddy

. . . taking more than twice as long now to do a clean . . . I do have the cluster tips selected . . .

Some years ago when using Eraser, I remember halving the erase time by skipping the cluster tips during free space erase. :)

Until this last month I had not heard of Cluster Tips.

Is there a 100% increase in data removal due to the extra 100% of time taken to erase Cluster Tips ?

Is there any difference between the privacy data quality between Tips and non-Tips ?

Tip size will vary. If a file occupies 2.5 clusters, the cluster tip would be 0.5 cluster. If you have a lot of tiny files avging 0.25 clusters, you'd have a lot of 0.75 tips.

It's a paranoia factor -- forensics can recover some data by not erasing the tips.