CCleaner Now Cleans avast!....What exactly Does It Clean?

D Bone

Does anybody know exactly what CCleaner cleans in avast!? I updated CCleaner today, and it now has avast! as an option, and it's checked by default. I chose to clean avast! and it removed 18mg's of something, what, I don't know.............. Anybody?

[Avast! Antivirus 4]

ID=2160

LangSecRef=3024

Detect=HKCU\Software\ALWIL Software\Avast\4.0

Default=True

FileKey1=%ProgramFiles%\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\report|avast.xsl;Resident protection.txt;Simple user interface.txt;Simple user interface*.xml

FileKey2=%ProgramFiles%\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log|*.*

[Avast! Antivirus 5]

ID=2161

LangSecRef=3024

Detect=HKCU\Software\ALWIL Software\Avast\5.0

Default=True

FileKey1=%ProgramData%\Alwil Software\Avast5\report|avast.xsl;avast.xsl;Resident protection.txt;Simple user interface.txt;Simple user interface*.xml

FileKey2=%ProgramData%\Alwil Software\Avast5\log|*.*

[Avast! Antivirus 6]

ID=2271

LangSecRef=3024

Detect=HKCU\Software\Avast Software\Avast

Default=True

FileKey1=%ProgramData%\Avast Software\Avast\log|*.*

Log files, it would seem.

Yes, I see only log files.

C:\ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5\log\AshWebSv.ws.ori	2 KB
C:\ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5\log\aswAr.log	49 KB
C:\ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5\log\Chest.log	1 KB
C:\ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5\log\Mail.log	2 KB
C:\ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5\log\Setup.log	59 KB
C:\ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5\log\usntr.log	5 KB

I did some testing and CCleaner also removes all stored data from an avast! full scan. The first time I ran CCleaner on avast!, it cleaned 18MG's of something, and each time after that, it only cleaned a few KB. Today, I used CCleaner to clean everything, including avast!, then I did an avast! manual full scan, and it took 8min longer then normal (29 vs 21). Then after avast! finished I analyzed with CCleaner, and what do you know, there was 18MG's again waiting to be cleaned...............I have unchecked the avast! box, and will not clean it again. It defeats the whole purpose of avast! storing files in the persistent cache to speed up its performance.

Also, yesterday, I started having a yellow ! in my wireless connection task bar notifications icon. It would only last 3-5 seconds on boot, but it was a problem that I have never had. I thought it was an avast! signature update issue causing it, but as soon as I repopulated the persistent cache (that CCleaner emptied) by doing a full scan, the problem immediately disappeared.

Does anybody know exactly what CCleaner cleans in avast!? I updated CCleaner today, and it now has avast! as an option, and it's checked by default. I chose to clean avast! and it removed 18mg's of something, what, I don't know.............. Anybody?

It should be very easy for you to find out for yourself.

Simply ANALYZE but do not "Run Cleaner"

That will show you the 18 MB in a summary.

Select that one entry and double click and you will see a detailed view of the individual files WITH THEIR PATHS.

If you select one of these and right click you can "Save to Text file" and you could copy the contents of that file and paste into your next reply for any further discussion.