Free Antivirus & other software for LINUX?

olieviya

Hello

Your resource for free software is:

Freshmeat

SourceForge.Net

You dont really need virus protection when you run Linux because there are pretty much next to none viruses for the Linux platform and the operating system is pretty secure by design.

However, if you want virus protection, you can use ClamAV or gui-based application such as ClamTK. There is also AntiVir.

For firewall, you use iptables (probably comes with your Linux distribution) or some script that uses iptables.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

Your distribution comes with alot of software for everyday use, which Linux distribution do you use?

I recently tried Ubuntu Linux, it was pretty nice.

My distribution of choice is Slackware Linux.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

Your distribution comes with alot of software for everyday use, which Linux distribution do you use?

I recently tried Ubuntu Linux, it was pretty nice.

My distribution of choice is Slackware Linux.

23845[/snapback]

I'm on Ubuntu, how's Slackware?

there's also an open source firewall called ClamAV. you might wanna check it out. i tried the Windows version of it and it worked like a charm :).

23960[/snapback]

Well, I'm having some trouble with my repositories and so I can't install it right now, but when I do I'll give you my opinion!

Ubuntu Linux is nice. My experience with it, was that its just run it and its ready and everything works.

Slackware is a little different, it is more Unix-like. It puts more emphasis on the console. It is like Linux without flavour. :)

Ubuntu Linux which you run comes with alot of software for everyday use. Check the Ubuntu software repositry, check SourceForge, check Freshmeat.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

Ubuntu Linux is nice. My experience with it, was that its just run it and its ready and everything works.

Slackware is a little different, it is more Unix-like. It puts more emphasis on the console. It is like Linux without flavour. :)

Ubuntu Linux which you run comes with alot of software for everyday use. Check the Ubuntu software repositry, check SourceForge, check Freshmeat.

24008[/snapback]

I'm having a shitload of trouble with Ubuntu at the moment... screen not centered, network not right etc etc and I tried d/l clam but when it installs it fails and i get errors all over the place even after pressing the shut down/restart button... When I do get all that stuff fixed and working, if ever, I will be sure to use those sites!

What version of Ubuntu do you use?

The newest version is "Breezy Badger", last I tried was "Hoary Hedgehog". Runned it off a LiveCD, worked like a charm.

Ubuntu website have a forum with alot of helpful people that can help you with your trouble and you can report about your problems. You can also get live support on IRC in #ubuntu at Freenode (irc.freenode.net)

Maybe you have more luck with another distribution.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png