Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 takes 65GB?

arikshtiv

I have this showing in the installed programs in CCleaner:

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Microsoft Corporation 02/10/2011 65,040 MB 2.2.30730

Could this be a bug or is this really true, because that's too much for a single application.

Is there a way to confirm this manually?

Thank you.

• Moderators

as .net is about 64.1 MB I think your regional settings may be set for europe (non english speaking)

The 10th resolution of CGPM in 2003 declared that "the symbol for the decimal marker shall be either the point on the line or the comma on the line." In practice, the decimal point is used in English-speaking countries and most of Asia, and the comma in most continental European languages.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I have this showing in the installed programs in CCleaner:

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Microsoft Corporation 02/10/2011 65,040 MB 2.2.30730

Could this be a bug or is this really true, because that's too much for a single application.

This is not a bug. The .Net installers use a compressed file, such as a .Cab (Cabinet) for storing files, thus the downloaded size may be 22 or 23 MB, etc.

But after inflation to the proper directories, they may expand to double, or even triple the size

The compression is to save time downloading.

I have checked my regional settings and it says the number format is "123,456,789.00" - see the dot? - that means it can't possibly be that and also other program sizes in CCleaner do have a dot.

So not a reading problem on my end...

I also been recieving endless window updated, could this be that?

Perhaps it really is 65 GB due to security patches that fail to lock in but still occupy disk space as Windows updates tries again

and again and again and again and again and again and again.

What is the size when you look at Windows Control Panel => Add/Remove programs (or whatever name is used by your version of Windows)

That would show if CCleaner has made a mistake, or if you need to consider reinstalling Windows :o

Yes, but the size they're reporting is 300 times the size of a 22mb installer. :lol:

Ah.... I see now. At first, I thought he said 65 MB.

Well, sometimes Windows does mess up on reporting the size of installations.

This is a problem with Windows, not Piriform.

If you check installers, especially .MSI based ones, you will find that over time, many of them are ginormously large seeming...

This may not be a problem at first, but it can be a problem over time!

* When installing Office, for example, it also clones a copy of the setup files in a directory on the C:/ drive, so that it is able to perform a "repair install" later, without needing the source disk. Whether Windows includes that in the "total size", I am not sure, but it does make it bigger!

This is one of the reasons I detest .Net + .MSI, because it makes files + fragmentation so much larger, when a simple re-install is much better solution than a repair install that does the same thing. And without taking up so much space!

Perhaps it really is 65 GB due to security patches that fail to lock in but still occupy disk space as Windows updates tries again

and again and again and again and again and again and again.

What is the size when you look at Windows Control Panel => Add/Remove programs (or whatever name is used by your version of Windows)

That would show if CCleaner has made a mistake, or if you need to consider reinstalling Windows :o

Can the OP simply uninstall .NET Framework, delete the folder which is inside Windows\Microsoft.NET, and reinstall the update?

Can the OP simply uninstall .NET Framework, delete the folder which is inside Windows\Microsoft.NET, and reinstall the update?

Yes - if you have a fairy God Mother :unsure:

Windows Updates was unable to install a .NET update.

The only solution from Microsoft Tech Support involving several emails and phone calls,

was that the .NET installation was corrupt,

and I had to uninstall each and every version of .NET from the latest back to the first.

Regrettably .NET only got more corrupt and could not go with no reasons given.

I came across a website with tool to do the job.

The MSVP Aaron Stebner now has this website :-

http://blogs.msdn.co...27/9850215.aspx

His tool created a log that showed me the removal failure was due to the absence of a manifest,

and therefore Windows did not know the order of installation,

and therefore could not remove in the reverse direction.

I allowed Aaron's tool to proceed regardless and it did a clean job.

I then Analysed the registry and saw thousands of missing shared dll's

I did not know whether that meant a .NET component had forgotten to decrement a "shared counter" when it no longer needed that dll,

or if it had removed shared dll regardless of the corresponding "shared counter" indicating that other applications also needed that dll.

I did NOT clean the registry - never intended to.

I installed all the .NET versions.

I hoped (but did not expect) that all required dll's were now present and shared counters were all valid

I looked at the registry and my fears were realised - there were still a few dozen missing shared dll's

I always make a fresh partition image backup before I allow a Windows update to happen.

I simply restored my system back to how it was before that original patch failure,

and chose to live with one unpatched vulnerability that is harmless because of my image backups,

rather than find out a year later that an important application fails due to the loss of a "shared dll".

Your mileage may vary.

I do recommend making and validating a partition image backup file before venturing into the abyss.

First it looks like I forgot to mention I'm using Windows XP, and I just checked and Add/Remove Programs shows:

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 - 185MB

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 - 168MB

And also CCleaner says that ".NET Framework 3.0" takes 6GB, and I have been seeing an ever growing usage of the hard drive, I'm left with only 18GB out of 160GB.

@Alan_B

Thank you for that link, I will try it and hopefully since I'm using Windows XP that tool would have different results than you did.

I have used the "Setup Verification Tool" and it verified both 2.0 and 3.0 frameworks, yet to try the removal.

*update*

Cleanup failed for product .NET Framework 2.0

Cleanup failed for product .NET Framework 3.0

Dammit...

• Moderators

If you look in the Windows folder, and then right-click the Microsoft.NET folder and click Properties it will tell you how much hard disk space it consumes.

I have every version of it starting from 1.0 to 4.0 and it is using 589 MB.

Yeah your'e right, I even removed both versions in hope of fixing them - guess what - I can't reinstall them lol, I just get different errors, well it's a talk for a different place.

But it does mean that CCleaner was reporting the size wrong, I even checked with WinDirStat and it appears that a million games took too much space and not the .Net framework.

But it does mean that CCleaner was reporting the size wrong, I even checked with WinDirStat and it appears that a million games took too much space and not the .Net framework.

I am not saying CCleaner does not report incorrect size but have you also checked Add/Remove programs to see what they report & whether it differs from CCleaner uninstaller/

I am not saying CCleaner does not report incorrect size but have you also checked Add/Remove programs to see what they report & whether it differs from CCleaner uninstaller/

I just did:

First it looks like I forgot to mention I'm using Windows XP, and I just checked and Add/Remove Programs shows:

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 - 185MB

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 - 168MB