Auto Update Feature

mikelu

Why would this not be a good-idea? Although it is a simple matter to launch the browser, download and install it manually, It remains a nuisance simply because many of us have already been spoiled by every other application already. It's almost "expected" nowadays and lacking the feature appears seemingly unnecessary by comparison and as such, tedious. I do remain grateful for the quality software provided to me for free, so thanks Piriform but still, it's a very wanted feature by me and probably many other fans out there.. and hey, it could always be toggled off for those who feel "it's not a good idea" right? Would it make it less secure or something? I'm sure there is a good reason, just wondering what it is exactly? Thanks.

Why would this not be a good-idea?

- New updates sometimes have bugs, such as the recent recycle bin bug in CCleaner.

- Auto-updater might auto-include a google or ask toolbar (do you want that?)

- Checking for updates for lots of programs may bog ur internet connection down somewhat, if every application on your computer pings for a new update.

- New updates sometimes have bugs, such as the recent recycle bin bug in CCleaner.

- Auto-updater might auto-include a google or ask toolbar (do you want that?)

- Checking for updates for lots of programs may bog ur internet connection down somewhat, if every application on your computer pings for a new update.

Thats not entirely what I was trying to say athough your points are totally valid on their own accord.

It's really not even a huge deal but what I was really trying to ask for is that when I--of my own volition--decide to click on the "check for updates" button in CCleaner, which currently launches my browser; to instead simply connect on it's own to their server and download the update all within the CCleaner program, apply the update and then restart itself all in one-go. The way many other apps do..This is distinct from a memory-residing, scheduled task constantly checking around-the-clock for updates (the bad way)!. I certainly was not implying that every program would be pinging and bogging my system all at once.

As for a toolbar or other mal-ware installing itself well, that would be entirely up to Piriform and could occur just as easily from a manual update if they really wanted to sneak it by us. I trust Piriform would inform their users prior to installation if they ever decided to include a toolbar within a release.

It's really not a big deal, I was just trying to cast another vote for a feature I'd like to see in a program I love.. not trying to hate or anything.. and wanted to know reasons why it might not be a good idea. for science

I think your mistake was in the title which is something I would never want.

I want to be on control of my own fate - and I never let any updates usurp my rights.

Microsoft Security updates have killed my system twice in the 8 months I have used Windows 7.

What you really want is ONE-CLICK-UPDATE,

and I plus many people who object to AUTO-UPDATE disruption are likely to welcome an instant Click-n-Go on demand.

Alan

I think your mistake was in the title which is something I would never want.

I want to be on control of my own fate - and I never let any updates usurp my rights.

Microsoft Security updates have killed my system twice in the 8 months I have used Windows 7.

What you really want is ONE-CLICK-UPDATE,

and I plus many people who object to AUTO-UPDATE disruption are likely to welcome an instant Click-n-Go on demand.

Alan

Yea man you're totally right. Colloquially speaking it is still a very automatic process but yes, "one-click updates"--that's what I mean, my bad. Point still remains even though I'm posting in the wrong thread now.. I have A.D.D