Restore points / Hibernation file should be excluded by default

eL_PuSHeR

• 4 weeks later...

Ditto on sounds like a good idea.

And is related to the separate suggestion I made a little while back, about being able to move the Restore points (and similar) files to the back end/slow end of the drive.

And, FYI for DennisD,

I have allowed several different defragment applications over the years to defragment the drive, and have seen them shuffle around the SystemVolumeInformation contents with no apparent ill effects.

Of course, it does seem silly to be shuffling the restore points around, since they are just snapshots taken once a day, and then never accessed except in case of emergency. So not needing constant defragmenting.

The Universe is intelligent and friendly 8-)

• 11 months later...

Can someone please give me simple instructions as to how exclude Restore Points when using Defraggler? I have been using it for ages but only discovered they are being deleted recently when I was unable to restore after a problem. Grateful for any advice here.

Of course, it does seem silly to be shuffling the restore points around, since they are just snapshots taken once a day, and then never accessed except in case of emergency. So not needing constant defragmenting.

They are also creating during major events. Antivirus install, service pack update, etc.

They are also creating during major events. Antivirus install, service pack update, etc.

The creation of a new Restore Point may be a fraction of a second faster if an hour or whatever has first been spent on defragging the free space which is used for that Restore Point,

but I doubt that speed of creation would be affected by the fragmentation of previous restore points.

Not unless, of course, user has tons of restore points.

I personally have seen users with 10+ GB restore points.

That does tend to make a difference when they are cleared, because system files can be placed tighter, & it runs slight bit faster.

I have also seen people with so many restore points AND system trash, that they ran out of free space!!!

One time, someone said their computer was dog slow. Guess it was! They had maybe 10 MB free space or so. After CCleaner removed 10+ GB, they were actually able to use the PC!!!