Firefox to offer updates through a Windows service?

hazelnut

• Moderators

Could be a change on the way in which Firefox offers updates, eliminating need for UAC

http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Firefox-developer-reveals-changes-and-new-update-service-1354262.html

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I like it. Especially if it is on by default. But I'm an advocate of pushing people to the newest browsers to foster innovation in the web sector. (and totally not because this brings HTML5 standardization closer to completion, hopefully leading to a painful death for Adobe Flash™, totally not that at all)

• Moderators

I'd rather it go through Windows own built-in Automatic Updates like what MSE can use, but I doubt Microsoft would ever allow its use and they'd have to have their own service - hopefully a very micro sized one.

Don't like it.

If every program has a windows service, just for auto updates, windows will bog down due to the sheer number of running services. I can see it now...

CCleaner service, Recuva service, Firefox service, Chrome service, Opera service, etc, etc, etc.

I hope they leave that one alone!

Many people have a hard enough time getting rid of startup programs, & what happens if they decide to abandon firefox left over service? More junk for you to clean out?

Good sounding in concept, but in practice, bad idea!

• 2 weeks later...

Could be a change on the way in which Firefox offers updates, eliminating need for UAC

Automatic.

That's what is scary. Because I have seen strange bugs, crashes in beta versions of Firefox, or even full edition releases.

Just like CCleaner had the recycle bin bug not too long back.

Good idea in theory, very bad in concept. I like to test what I download, because I don't want what it is replacing to CRASH! Or, do weird things. Or install who knows what toolbars, etc...

Etc, etc, etc!

Since the update to v7, one of my updates ScreenGrab quit working. No problem...I just went in and edited the install.rdf file and it works again. :P

I usually run a new FF update as a separate portable so I first make sure ALL of my add-ons work.

25qd6wl.jpg

• Moderators

I'm not liking the last couple versions of firefox. Its not crashing, but it seems like its slowing down A LOT at times. I'm also having problems with it hanging and loading lots of blank pages. I'm actually using IE9 to post this right now because of this(so if you notice me suddenly having aweful spelling, this is why. :P )

• Moderators

I actually like it a lot too. I love its minimalist interface and it loads pages just as fast as any of the other browsers.

The only thing I don't like is the lack of spell check and the lack of adblock plus. If it had those, I would use it no questions asked. I'm about sick of firefox right now. I keep having it load blank pages, freeze, and on sites where I can type the cursor keeps disappearing(especially on gmail which my university uses for their email system.) <_<

• Moderators

I'll try that but I think I did a crappy job of discussing the problem. The cursor disappears and then doesn't reappear when I click to edit somewhere. Its impossible to figure out where the invisible cursor is to edit what I wrote unless I press a key and see where it appears at. Its a relatively new issue that I've only been having with the last couple of versions.

I'm about sick of firefox right now. I keep having it load blank pages, freeze, and on sites where I can type the cursor keeps disappearing(especially on gmail which my university uses for their email system.) <_<

Usually when that happens, it is because of one of these problems:

- Still using a profile generated by an older firefox version that has different access parameters for certain items in the newer versions

- Corrupted profile.

- Malware/Viruses

- Conflicting plugins

I would try, if you don't have any saved passwords or important information, etc, deleting the Mozilla folder from the current user application data folder, which can be done by uninstalling firefox, & choosing the also erase user data folder. I forget what they call it in the uninstaller, but it has a checkmark box to click.

After doing a total uninstall (including the application data Mozilla folder, per instructions above utilizing the uninstall function), then download & install Firefox 7 stable from Filehippo. Uninstall old flash versions & update to the latest (also on file hippo).

This should fix your problems, unless u have malware.Firefox does this if you have a corrupted profile, or a profile that is hijacked by toolbars/etc, etc.

If u need to save your names/passwords, etc, there is a Moz Backup program that you can backup the names, passwords, bookmarks. Then, after you reinstall a clean firefox version, just re-run Moz Backup & let it restore those files to the new profile.

Speaking of Firefox, anyone tried the latest Aurora build besides me? Using version 9.0a2 right now, and holy crap it's fast.

I tried the 10 nightly a while back, but I hated the dialpad they added to it.

Privacy risk, + I don't use it. They need to fix it!

Usually does have 1 or 2 missing things in the beta, but the final usually nails things down a bit.

I am using 7 final, & plan to do so till they release 8 final.

7 seems fast to me at the moment, but then, I have a fast computer.

But I hope they fix it where they use less memory in newer versions.

Perhaps make tabs only load when you click them, to save memory...

• Moderators

Usually when that happens, it is because of one of these problems:

- Still using a profile generated by an older firefox version that has different access parameters for certain items in the newer versions

- Corrupted profile.

- Malware/Viruses

- Conflicting plugins

I would try, if you don't have any saved passwords or important information, etc, deleting the Mozilla folder from the current user application data folder, which can be done by uninstalling firefox, & choosing the also erase user data folder. I forget what they call it in the uninstaller, but it has a checkmark box to click.

After doing a total uninstall (including the application data Mozilla folder, per instructions above utilizing the uninstall function), then download & install Firefox 7 stable from Filehippo. Uninstall old flash versions & update to the latest (also on file hippo).

This should fix your problems, unless u have malware.Firefox does this if you have a corrupted profile, or a profile that is hijacked by toolbars/etc, etc.

If u need to save your names/passwords, etc, there is a Moz Backup program that you can backup the names, passwords, bookmarks. Then, after you reinstall a clean firefox version, just re-run Moz Backup & let it restore those files to the new profile.

Super Fast I think advising rridgely about the possibility of malware etc could be a waste of time as he used to be one of the forum's Spyware Hell moderators :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

The cursor disappears and then doesn't reappear when I click to edit somewhere. Its impossible to figure out where the invisible cursor is to edit what I wrote unless I press a key and see where it appears at. Its a relatively new issue that I've only been having with the last couple of versions.

That problem often hit me - but it has the intelligence not to bother me now because it knows I know how to fix it B)

I simply hold down the Ctrl key and then shift the mouse with left button down so it highlights the whole area of the screen between where the cursor was hiding and where the mouse has extended the area.

That also works when I take a "comfort break" and on return forget where I had been editing a post :)

I hope they won't do that. A service to update Firefox is already stupid enough, and they're even talking about an OOo-like functionnality which would slow Windows startup down by loading Firefox files - you'd boot slower, but if you wanted to use Firefox it'd be faster. Great. <_<

Piriform French translator