New version - new observation!

Just ran CCleaner ver. 3.11. Used the 3 pass secure delete option. Wxp home, 5 year old computer, 2 year old HD.

Had about 144 mb of files in recycle. Replaced these files after each run below.

1st used the right click > Open CCleaner option.

2nd used the right click > run CCleaner option.

3rd just opened CCleaner & selected recycle bin.

Nothing but normal sounds from the HD.

I could hear it, I guess that is the arm moving ??, but it sounded normal, same as always.

Just did this to provide some point of comparison, Slowday444. ... Because I have always heard that "new" noises from the HD might mean it is failing.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

You may wish to take backups of your data.

Winapp, is that for me or for slowday444? Or both? :D

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Just ran CCleaner ver. 3.11. Used the 3 pass secure delete option. Wxp home, 5 year old computer, 2 year old HD.

Had about 144 mb of files in recycle. Replaced these files after each run below.

1st used the right click > Open CCleaner option.

2nd used the right click > run CCleaner option.

3rd just opened CCleaner & selected recycle bin.

Nothing but normal sounds from the HD.

I could hear it, I guess that is the arm moving ??, but it sounded normal, same as always.

Just did this to provide some point of comparison, Slowday444. ... Because I have always heard that "new" noises from the HD might mean it is failing.

I suppose then it was always doing it!

• Moderators

Have you got any drives set to turn off after a set period of inactivity?

My second internal drive turns off after 30 minutes, but it "clicks" back on when CCleaner's used as the program has to check the hidden "Recycler" folder on each drive.

Just a thought.

• Moderators

Wait I think some of us think on thing and others think another

when you say "normal click sound"

do you mean your actual harddrive is clicking https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/File:WD_bad_heads_click_of_death.ogg (see: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Click_of_death#Hard_disk_drives)

or the sound event for recycler has been triggered (C:\windows\Media\Windows XP Recycle.wav )?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I didn't say that very well.

I can hear it when the OS accesses the hard drive. It isn'r really a click, can't describe it. I always thought it was that read arm moving, but it doesn't matter what it is.

So I ran ccleaner and heard nothing out of the ordinary, so CCleaner isn't causing anything to click louder.

Now if something IS clicking louder, there is maybe a problem developing as suggested above, and you should back up your data.

If it was me, I would clone the whole hard drive to a new one if I thought it was about to fail, but that's just me.

Good catch, Nergal. :)

I agree that I'm probably just hearing the read arm, but like I said, I never noticed it before. It indeed occurs when it is emptying the RB because I disabled that feature, ran CC and it was quite as a church mouse. I'm not concerned, there are other applications that create the same noise, although I'd say far less than 10% of ones I might regularly use.

So I guess I'm not as crazy as I thought I was. I included a floppy drive with this tower six or seven years ago as some of my children had floppy data. Apparently that is what I was hearing and now things are back to normal. Than you Mr.T and Mr.G!

Well, good grief. :P Sure hope I didn't cause you unnecessary distress. Glad it's fixed.

Well, good grief. :P Sure hope I didn't cause you unnecessary distress. Glad it's fixed.

Not in the least! I was quite confident there were no issues with my ole trusty desktop, just an issue with my hearing. lol I actually have hearing aids I received from the Veterans Administration but only wear them when I'm archery hunting. Hate when those bucks sneak in on me!