In XP, new version of CCleaner fails to list details of recycle bin cleaning

John Puccio

Regarding version 3.11.1541 and using Windows XP Home, CCleaner fails to report the details of cleaning the recycle bin. It cleans the recycle bin fine; it just doesn't list anything having been cleaned. Even analyzing the scan beforehand, it doesn't list anything in the recycle bin, even though a check of the recycle bin shows numerous items there. So, CCleaner is working with the XP recycle bin, cleaning it as usual, but it's not reporting anything as it should.

I tested this with my wife's computer as well. Same thing; she uses XP Professional with CCleaner, and, again, the new version of CCleaner fails to list anything in the recycle bin (even though it may have many items in it), before or after cleaning it. Then it cleans it up perfectly but doesn't list what it deleted.

So it's not just my computer. Ver. 3.11.1541 is misbehaving in exactly the same way on two very different computers.

• Moderators

I'm not seeing this issue on XP Professional SP3.

post-21882-0-14329700-1317253645_thumb.jpg

However I have seen a few others report a similar issue. Are you double clicking the entry in the summary?

post-21882-0-67543200-1317253756_thumb.jpg

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

There isn't even an entry for the recycle bin I can see in the clean-up lists. In all past versions of CCleaner (and both my wife and I have been using the program for as many years as the company has made it available, meaning many years), you could see the recycle bin entry, whether CCleaner just cleaned it up or in the analysis beforehand. Now, there is no mention of the recycle bin anywhere (except the check box to clean it or not), before or after clean-up, and no listings anywhere of what's been cleaned (or will be cleaned). And this happens whether I've checked the advanced, expanded details or not.

• Moderators

that's because recycler is still on the FAT32 drive (as well as the ntfs, if i'm reading this right her 2nd drive in the same computer is fat32)

also (slightly off topic but I'm curious) any particular reason why you've not converted her second drive to ntfs (at the very least, if not both fat32)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

also (slightly off topic but I'm curious) any particular reason why you've not converted her second drive to ntfs (at the very least, if not both fat32)

No, no particular reason for not converting the second drive to NTFS except that neither my wife nor I has seen any reason to do it. It's just a small drive with a few document files on it.