Huge reserved MFT space

Chilli71

Hi,

Windows (XP) drive info and defraggler both state, that alomst half of the partition is free space. Nevertheless when starting defrag, defraggler complains about less than 10% free space.

Root cause seems to be a unreasonable high MTF space block claimed by defraggler.

What can I do to harmonize defraggler with the partition?

Regards

Chilli

post-57350-0-58025100-1316608403_thumb.jpg

thx for the answer. I might try the only hint with moving the files backwards.

I also just noticed that defraggler says "no files in the block" what means that obviously also the ghost block posts do apply.

But I've to leave for today now.

Regards

Chilli

I finally dramatically reduced reserved MTF area by copying files to the partition. Since I'm made a defrag freespace afterwards this is irreversible. I have many large files (many MB range documents and some GB range files, which is large compared to 4kB chunks) on the partition, I would never use up the MTF space that the system has reserved. Dont' know what IT department has done that the reserved space was exceeding the standard 12,5% and only on the second partition. Don't know, why I don't see any reserved MTF space on the first partition at all (first partition is system partition and has much more small files). Ofcourse the first partitions MTF is fragmented.

It is very strange observing defraggler moving data to the (new) empty area, resulting in fragmented blocks there (the GB range file are fragmented, but most blocks have only a one fragment). The reasons are not obviously. Also free space defrag does not completely do, what the name implies (looks like it stopped, when 90% done ;-) ). I attached a screenshot of finished free space defrag. If you are interested you can not only see the imho suboptimal result, but also compare with the previous screenshot to see how much MTF reserved space I converted to free space.

post-57350-0-42168500-1316763931_thumb.jpg