CCleaner To Remove MS Office 2010 - HELP

onthemarktexas

I'm not a very technical person so I apologize in advance if I tend to use the wrong or generic terms ... in May I downloaded a trial version of MS Office Professional 2010 on my laptop. When the trial period ended in July, my roommate used CCleaner to uninstall all compents of the trial software, and then he reinstalled another version of the MS Office Profesisonal 2010.

Well, the trial period has now come to an end so I attempted to use CCleaner to uninstall MS Office Prof 2010 just like my roommate had. He has since moved out and I can not get a hold of him. I used CCleaner but apparently did not get all the components of the trial version and now the latest trial I attempted to download won't work because it says a prior version of the software was found on my system.

Is there any way to go back "fix" what I have done? Or am I suck with having to use Open Office (which I hate)?

You were given false information.

CCleaner simpler provides a faster access than Windows Add/Remove to the standard uninstall for any App.

To remove all traces you need to use RevoUnistaller to Launch and supervise/monitor/inspect the standard uninstall, and then eliminate remnants.

It is too late to expect good results with Revo at this stage, but it does have a "Hunter" mode that may help.

The Professional version may be worth a try if the Free version fails you

Alan_B:

Thanks for the info. I did download the free version of Revo but when I hit the button to place it in "Hunter Mode" it simply disappears from the screen and there is a small icon in the lower right-hand corner of my icon bar. When I right-click that icon, it only gives me the option to exit or resore to full screen.

I'm not sure how to "hunt" for the old remnants of the Office Prof 2010 ... any advice?

-----

RedHawk:

I'm not sure what you mean by the "Roll Back The Clock" Trick. Sorry, like I stated before, I'm not very technical.

I have never needed or used the Hunter mode.

I get the same result as you.

I think that Hunter Mode is crippled and closes to Notification tray in the free version,

and probably stays in the Pro version which is free for 30 days at

http://www.revounins...l_features.html

Another possibility is Nirsoft who does very nice and portable software.

http://www.nirsoft.n...s/myuninst.html

You may find something useful with a Google search

"broken install remover software"

If you search again without the "quotes then Google will give you

About 315,000,000 results

(not all relevant to your needs ! !)

Totally different approach, use System restore to put the system back as it was before removing Office,

then Revo can get stuck in.

NB if you are on a 64 bit machine the Profession trial Revo can attack both SysWow64 and System32 remnants

whilst the free version will be misled by Windows into cleaning only SysWow64 when It was aiming at System32.

If you do not know what I am talking about be very thankful - I wish I had never stubbed my toes on this one ! !

• Moderators

Hunter mode works fine with my Revo, version 1.9.3 (Free).

http://www.revounins...e_download.html

Apart from that, maybe give these MS fixes a try.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

How do I uninstall Office 2003, Office 2007 or Office 2010 suites if I cannot uninstall it from Control Panel?

There are "Microsoft Fix it" options way down the page.

Edited by DennisD
Link removed

• Moderators

Maybe the fact that you are only allowed one trial may have something to do with it?

Indeed, probably worth noting that Microsoft Office needs purchasing hence the reason I didn't offer any help in this topic on how to remove leftovers to probably circumvent something and get another whole trial period. Sorry if that's rude but that's how I read the original post.

If you're a student you can get Microsoft Office at a reasonable price.

Maybe the fact that you are only allowed one trial may have something to do with it?

Hazelnut, I guess everyone missed the forest cause the trees were in the way.

How come no one else thought of this? There are a lot of software out there that after expiration of trial period, refuses re-installation of trial version otherwise, why bother spending money? Also, a lot of software hide the license information somewhere and in the event of uninstall and upgrade, it automatically inserts the license info.

That thought did cross my mind (honest Indian), but it appears the result of trying to reinstall is gonna be difficult to remove.

"Honest Indian", haven't heard that for ages. I agree, removing the leftovers will be a challenge unless one is to take time and hunt for all the keys in the registry and sometimes, that's even not good enough. There is a registry cleaner called JV16 Power Tools that has proven to be reliable, at least for me. The Trial version is fully functional for 60 days, yes, 60 days. It has capability to search the registry based on publisher name, software name, date,...But again, the culprit could be hidden under any aliases.

Regards

edit: As usual Just a warning to ones not familiar with the disaster that may happen if you mess with the registry; Just because JV16 lists several entries after "SEARCH", it does not mean it is safe to delete them all. Got to look at the description of each item and why it is listed then proceed to "Fix" and backup process in the event you need to revert.

After JV16 has run for 59 days, can it delete itself and all traces so you can then do a clean install and have another free 59 days ! ! !

There are better alternatives than trying to reset the trial period:

1- It would be common sense to support efforts of the developer and provide encouragement by buying a copy for a reasonable price, as the case is with any other software

2- Could download the free version (Lite) with no need to worry about running outta time

3- Become a beta tester and make solid suggestions and receive a free license

There you go ! ! !

I was only joking. It would be a hilarious faux pas if their tool could cripple their own protection.

I am sure the developers of a trace removal tool would cripple any possibility that it might attack their own protection against theft by using more than a single free trial period.

They would probably also, as a courtesy to other software developers, refrain from attacking theft protection of other products.

I was only joking. It would be a hilarious faux pas if their tool could cripple their own protection.

I just was not sure what to make of what you wrote. I have read a lot of your comments and know better by now and I certainly had a feeling you were up to something. However, that was another clear indication that sometimes things in writing appear different in intent relative to if the same exact words were spoken. I knew you were up to something. Next time please give a heads up so it won't be as painful? Regards

I wanted to give a heads up but "smiley" was not working - today of course it is

:mellow::ph34r:

Where were you guys yesterday when I needed you ! ! !

hence I just fell back to three off exclamation marks ! ! !

Oh no - it is NOT working - I tried a full house of those two plus all those in between and was told I had too many smileys.

Every day this site changes.

Yesterday not only were smileys not available,

but the main Piriform Comunity Forums no longer highlighted which forums had new posts,

just a slight green tint to some forums and monochrome grey to others.

I wanted to give a heads up but "smiley" was not working - today of course it is

:mellow::ph34r:

Where were you guys yesterday when I needed you ! ! !

hence I just fell back to three off exclamation marks ! ! !

Oh no - it is NOT working - I tried a full house of those two plus all those in between and was told I had too many smileys.

Every day this site changes.

I hear you. I noticed the icon for the forum in my bookmarks "Finally" changed back to the official Piriform icon. Smileys were not available due to rejection of the committee to give them a pay increase but, the union forced them to temporarily return but, they were not forced to perform.

Regards,