Secure File Deletion Question

Drew99GT

I know this question gets asked about every day on these forums, so I'll ask it again!!!!!!(just kidding).

Would it be difficult for anykind of malacious software/spyware to recover say, credit card numbers or bank account info after using CCleaner? Without having a malacious keylogger on your computer, are webforms where credit card numbers entered even stored anywhere on a computer or in web surfing tracks? Just wondering if a secure web tracks cleaner is needed such as CleanUp!, which is free and does everything that CCleaner does, but also securly deletes web surfing tracks. I love CCleaner cause it hasn't given me a hint of problems but after purusing the forums for CleanUp!, well, it looks like it's majorly screwed many peoples computers. Thanks for any info. ps my fear is from a friend getting a malacious software on her computer that somehow got access to her Amazon account info. I've armed myself with a barage of antispyware/antivirus/firewall software but lack "privacy" software that securly deletes web surfing tracks.

Oh, does Eraser freeware easily erase web surfing tracks, or is it a click and drag file schredder?

• Moderators

Ok....(prepares for long post)

First lets dismiss clean up. I have seen that program advertised on a couple spyware removal forums that for some reason either didnt like ccleaner or didnt know about it. Clean up does almost nothing that cc does. It empties internet info but it dosent clean your registry or clean up after programs(which is ccleaners best parts!)

Webform info isnt stored on your pc unless you save it so that the information is autmatically inputed for you.(a nice feature of FF and IE.) If you log onto a forum or something a cookie is put on your pc so the site wont ask you to log in again but the actual pasword isnt saved on your pc.

The keylogger that your friend got did excatly what the name implys. It recoreded every key pressed on the keyboard and every site that the pc went to. So the hacker who got the info didnt get it from the temp files he got it from the actual keys being pressed in real time.

So no secure deleting your temp files dosent matter. I would like to let you know that ccleaner will have secure delete funtions in the near future though.

http://forum.ccleaner.com/index.php?showtopic=3118