WD Raptor HD crashed, need to recover data.

Stephen

My WD Raptor HD has my OS on it. It won't boot up, appears to be seriously hosed. I installed the OS on my second HD, made it the boot drive. While both OS show up in the bios the crashed drive does not show up when I boot up in the other HD. Is there any software I can get to recover the data from the crashed drive? My OS is Windows 7.

Thanks from me, Hazel. Got it. Looks like a pretty comprehensive suite of fixit tools. :)

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Ok, I tried Bootmed. I got into the menu, double-clicked my computer, and tried to access the harddrive. I got a message that said "Unable to mount location. Error mounting . Mount exited with exit code 13 $MFTMirr does not match $MFT (record 0)."

Any suggestions?

• Moderators

Hopefully you have a Windows 7 install disk or made the Windows 7 repair disk. (If not a friend may let you borrow one)

See the steps here

http://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=6565

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

You could maybe try another free rescue CD ...

Paragon Rescue Kit 11 Free Edition:

I don't know if you'll encounter the same problem you had with Bootmed, but at the cost of a blank CD, worth a try. Burn it to disk as an "Image".

Just a couple of thoughts.

Is your faulty hard drive mounted inside the PC with your new hard drive?

If so, they don't have the same drive letter do they?

And again, are they properly configured as "Master" and "Slave".

I did the "same drive letter" c**k up some time ago, and it causes real problems, although I've no idea if it would pop up the above error.

Just a thought.

Edit: Dennis, please forgive me for intruding, won't say any more, just thought the pictures might help.

Attached is a picture of the Ubuntu desktop in Bootmed.

Don't know how much of this you did, so forgive me if I am stating the obvious, but:

- Double click the computer screen in the up left corner to see the names of connected drives. The sizes might be wrong.

- if you can open them you can recover your files to some other medium, like a usb stick.

- That "GParted" shortcut on the desktop will show you information about all your connected drives.

- Write down the bad one's name.

- I wouldn't use GParted for anything except viewing the drives, its dangerous.

- That "TestDisk" shortcut on the desktop might be all you need to fix the bad one.

th_bootmed4_desktop.png ... th_bootmed5_gparted.png ... th_bootmed6_testdisk.png

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

I forgot to add this comment the other day Login but you're definitely not intruding as that's an extremely helpful post.

Not only to the OP, but anyone else following this thread who hasn't seen Bootmed. The old "picture worth a thousand words" thing.