Release 2.07 and wrong SSD detection -

MenosOcho

I have version 2.06.328 and have not downloaded this new version 2.07.346 because of what I have read in this thread. Can you give a novice like me a simple explanation of what would happen if you had a traditional HD and ran the new version and it defraged it as a SSD? Would it cause damage? Sould I wait till this is resolved till I download the new version since I have a traditional HD ( I do not know the model ) ? Or simple what does the amount to if ran on a traditional HD? Thanks, I am new here. Have used CCleaner for years and now trying out Defraggler.

I have version 2.06.328 and have not downloaded this new version 2.07.346 because of what I have read in this thread. Can you give a novice like me a simple explanation of what would happen if you had a traditional HD and ran the new version and it defraged it as a SSD? Would it cause damage? Sould I wait till this is resolved till I download the new version since I have a traditional HD ( I do not know the model ) ? Or simple what does the amount to if ran on a traditional HD? Thanks, I am new here. Have used CCleaner for years and now trying out Defraggler.

I think there is no difference in the process for defragmenting a drive, be it HD or SSD. Some people say defragmenting SSD, usb pendrives and such USB memory devices can lead to a shortened lifespam on those devices because they just withstand a certain number of write operations before kicking the bucket. That's why defragmenting those devices is not recommended.

Same problem here, Speccy sees as normal.

SD

Hitachi HTS547550A9E384

Manufacturer Hitachi

Product Family Travelstar

Series Prefix Standard

Speed, Expressed in Revolutions Per Minute (rpm) 5400

Model Capacity For This Specific Drive 750GB

Heads 16

Cylinders 16383

SATA type SATA-II 3.0Gb/s

Device type Fixed

ATA Standard ATA8-ACS

48-bit LBA Supported

Serial Number J2150050G0Y6ZC

Interface SATA

Capacity 488GB

Real size 500,107,862,016 bytes

RAID Type None

Suffering the same problem with v2.07.346 (64-bit) oh every drive and partition.

Windows 7 Enterperise 64-bit

OS version: 6.1.7601

Mobo: ASRock Z68 Pro3-M

BIOS: P1.40

RAID Chipset: Intel Rapid Storage

Driver: v10.6.0.1002
ROM: v10.5.0.1034

HDD 0: (2) Seagate ST310005N1A1AS in RAID 1

Firmware: CC49

HDD 1: (1) Seagate ST320005N4A

Firmware: CC35

I'm adding my computer to this list of wrong SSD detects.

I run XP 64 on a system I built myself, AMD Phenom II with 8 GB of RAM and about 5 TB of hard drive storage. Two external 3 TB hard drives are detected normally.

Defraggler misidentifies 4 internal drives, perfectly normal Seagate 500 GB each, as SSDs. It looks pretty silly, as these are about as standard/plain-Jane as you can get; nothing at all exotic about them.

The idea that a defragger wouldn't be able to properly distinguish the very drives it's defragging is unnerving. I used to have much more confidence in Defraggler, but I'm not staying with this version or ANY version. The defragging process itself would be unrelated to the drive ID, but something here is very wrong. If the algorithms established as acceptable don't know what kind of drive is being defragged, how can I assume the algorithms for carrying out intricate work on these same drives will be okay?

It is kind of creepy, because this is not a Beta version, and it's behaving like an Alpha. Someone in Piriform has been way, way overconfident. He's damaging Piriform's reputation.

No, no thanks to using Defraggler on my system any more. These drives and their content are very important to me. I'm continuing with CCleaner for the time being, but I'm watching it carefully. I notice it is now split into a $$$ version and a free version. I do hope Piriform hasn't gone the way of Aljazeera.

Sorry; it's a shame, really. Thanks very much anyway.

I notice it is now split into a $$$ version and a free version.

Defraggler is FREE. Read the download page carefully. The paid version is buying priority tech support only - $24.95 priority support for home users, $39.95 priority support for business users. You would be paying for the support, not the product.

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

• 2 weeks later...

Also showing as SSD..

WDC WD1001FALS-00E8B0

Manufacturer Western Digital

Form Factor TB/3.5-inch (new format)

Business Unit/Brand Desktop/WD Caviar®

RPM/Buffer Size or Attribute 7200 RPM with 32 MB cache

Interface/Connector SATA 3 Gb/s with 22-pin SATA connector/SATA 1.5 Gb/s with 22-pin SATA connector (Mobile)

Heads 16

Cylinders 16383

Device type Fixed

ATA Standard ATA8-ACS

48-bit LBA Supported

Serial Number WD-WMATV1972456

Interface SATA

Capacity 977GB

Real size 1,000,204,886,016 bytes

RAID Type None

This one is right.

M4-CT128M4SSD2

Manufacturer Unknown manufacturer

Heads 16

Cylinders 16383

Device type Fixed

ATA Standard ATA8-ACS

48-bit LBA Supported

Serial Number 0000000011320316130C

Interface SATA-SSD

Capacity 125GB

Real size 128,035,676,160 bytes

RAID Type None

Have used CCleaner for years and now trying out Defraggler.

Do you really want to waste your time evaluating a product that has just developed a bug that will probably get fixed by the next release.

Having waited so long without defraggler it might be better to wait another month.

I do wonder why you guys put in a new feature that does not work.

The only way for YOU to avoid such accidents is to refrain from updating - just stick with what works.

The only way for Piriform to avoid such accidents is to refrain from new features.

It is foolish for you to imply that a feature that harmlessly fails for some people was a deliberate intention.

No harm was intended.

No harm was done - I see no complaints that Windows had to be reinstalled :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

Mine is detecting the HDD as an SSD too.

The motherboard is a Z68X-UD3H-B3 v1.0 and the SATA ports are in AHCI mode.

The HDD is a Hitachi HDT721010SLA360

Its interesting because on the Health tab it has the Rotation rate as 7200 RPM

if you want any more details feel free to contact me. I think if you PM me it will forward me an Email.

Hi !

So what is the story now because YES mein installed Defraggler 2.07 also shows SSD but if I check HEALTH tab it seems to be OK,so only in STATUS tab is showing SSD.

I am only worried if that is able to kill my 2,5 HDD if I use application for defragment??

THANX

Sorry for my english