Kingsoft Office Free (well sort of free)

hazelnut

Phooey. :angry:

There is no chance that the uninstaller for an app like that will remove it all.

Thats why I like Powershadow...when I restart, all 173 mb of files and gazillion registry entries will be gone.

It sure did look like a good office app, though, Hazel. I'll still wait for their reply, post what they say this time.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Just got this :( :

Actually, the free version will be upgraded and I'm afraid it will not be free forever.

However, we will continuously improve our product to satisfy our customers.

Best Regards, etc

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Hazel just put your clock forward one year and then load the Writer app you'll get the dialog box asking you to buy the software or run in view mode.

In view mode you can open files, save files, convert to pdf, cut and paste (oddly enough) but you cannot type on the keyboard or edit the text in the usual way.

btw: if you're running Anti-logger you need to set the clock to the correct year and reboot to fix the license problem.

Richard S.

• Moderators

That's what I don't understand Richard.

They replied in an email here that it was an error in the suite the fact that it asked for a key after a year.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1937010&postcount=48

Why aren't things more transparent.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

What does that mean, the free version will be upgraded and then not be free?

Do you take that to mean it is time limited, or that the upgrade will not be free?

Don't know what it means... :blink: ... think it means time limited.

Before installing it permanently, I would want to know that:

1. It will run as-is from now on, even if a better version comes out.

2. If that better version comes out, I can choose to run the old unimproved one if I wish.

3. It won't phone home to China at some point and lock up on a "BUY ME" popup.

Soooo, thinking there might be a language problem, I restated the question twice, got the indirect answers seen here. Melissa is not obtuse. I think Kingsoft avoids the direct answer.

FWIW Melissa said in one of those emails that they would set the price of the updated version later, I think she meant when it is released.

Also fwiw, I have always read that some software just locks up if you tinker with the calendar, and that may be the case here. Don't know much about that, tho.

• Moderators

Because they'll eventually or probably want some money for it which is what I suspect. Might as well use something else that is known to be free or GNU GPL license, or if wanting all the bells and whistles what I did was buy Microsoft Office and haven't regretted it.

It is just deceptive.

At first it might have been a mistake, but when you get ambiguous answers to direct questions, that appears to be deliberate.

Also, I didn't find anything on their website to indicate any limitation except that a better (paid) version was in the works.

Afaik, It is just a convention that requires an explanation of limitations up front, but developers who flout that convention do so at their own peril.

• Moderators

developers who flout that convention do so at their own peril.

Just have everyone email them like crazy, they'll soon get so annoyed they'll need to make things clearer. And I doubt their non-transparency is a Chinese to English translation issue.

"And I doubt their non-transparency is a Chinese to English translation issue." :P

Ok, Ok, this is the kinder / gentler / warmer / fuzzier login123. Work with me here...