New CCleaner won't install over old version

ChrisPDavies

Hi

The "Topic Title" pretty much explains it all: I can't, and haven't been able to since time immemorial, install new versions of CCleaner (or Defraggler for that matter) over the old ones. It always stops at the point where it is trying to install the file "ccleaner.exe".

Can anyone help?

Regards

Chris

P.S. I have recently reinstalled Windows XP, and it was the same on the previous XP install, and all other installations prior to that one.

• Moderators

How are you installing?

Are you downloading from the internet, saving it to your desktop (or downloads folder) and then installing from there?

Also have a quick read here

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=5739

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• 2 weeks later...

You cannot overwrite an open file. I just tried it just to be sure.

Update. Tr3, I'm still waiting for CC 3.11 to check this. Meanwhile, today I installed Defraggler 2.07 while Defraggler was open.

I'll test all the Piriform products when revised and may report my findings here.

• Moderators

Update. Tr3, I'm still waiting for CC 3.11 to check this. Meanwhile, today I installed Defraggler 2.07 while Defraggler was open.

Some setups will let you get away with doing that however they may require a reboot after installation for the new version files to actually be copied over the old files to replace them.

FWIW, just installed 3.10 over 3.07 while 3.07 was open. Only had to run the installer.

Worked OK, the installer shut 3.07 off and when it reopened it it said 3.10.

WXP home sp3.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

FWIW, just installed 3.10 over 3.07 while 3.07 was open. Only had to run the installer.

Worked OK, the installer shut 3.07 off and when it reopened it it said 3.10.

WXP home sp3.

Good to know that works with CCleaner.

But that sure won't work with all software installers, and it's a good practice when updating software to make sure nothing related to it is running.

I use portable 64 bit CCleaner.

I launched and it immediately grabbed 5 MB of RAM.

The *.exe is 3 MB so I guess the chances are it loads into RAM and executes from RAM,

hence the executable can be replaced or renamed without difficulty whilst it runs.

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

Minutes ago I installed CC 3.11 while CCleaner 3.10 was open. As soon as install was finished CCleaner displayed it was v3.11. No program reboot was necessary. Also ran a registry scan and it showed only 4 items -- improved as reported in Release Notes. I'm using Vista 32-bit SP2.

So Tr3, try installing 3.11 while CC is running. You should succeed this time.

Turn OFF all, I repeat ALL, ANTI-MALWARE products. Then, do the install.

Geoff

Naaww, don't turn that stuff off.

Just my opinion, but that shouldn't be necessary and isn't safe.

If it won't install, go the long way around. Uninstall the old one, restart, install the new one.

If that won't work, there is some other problem so post back.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

I agree that you should not HAVE to turn off anti-malware protection.

However, depending on what anti-malware product(s) are currently in use, and how old/outdated they are, turning them off would be the first step for a long term resolution. If the install works, then it is one or more of the anti-malware products causing the problem. Having two or more real-time anti-malware products installed is a great place to start looking. Now, for all those who believe that if one real-time anti-malware product installed is good, then two installed must be better, take your discussion elsewhere.

Geoff

BPAA

• Moderators

If the install works, then it is one or more of the anti-malware products causing the problem.

That can be the common solution when installing many types of software, especially hardware drivers. And every now and then some antivirus' produce a false positive against CCleaner, but I suppose an antivirus could also block the installation with no prompts to the user.

Easy, there, Geoff, don't be truculent. :)

I've got every protection software in the known universe running, and the CCleaner install just slips in right over the old version.

And I shall stay here for the time being.

I doubt that Chris is coming back (hope (s)he does but it doesn't look like it) but if so, I must stay with what I said: try the long way. Uninstall the old, restart, install the new. If its a nogo, post back.

Truculent? How long have you been waiting to use that in a sentence?

No problem, however. Users of multiple anti-malware products are akin to MAC users who believe they cannot be infected. Discussions with them are impossible.

Geoff

BPAA

Truculent? How long have you been waiting to use that in a sentence?

Geoff

Decades. :D

And you are quite correct, too many av apps can cause problems. Maybe even interfere with CCleaner Installations.

But if the OP is having that problem, even after "going the long way", imho the best idea is to post back. Might be some other problem at work.

Now I must quit this thread. I think Hazel and Andavari may have posted here to prevent the development of an all out brouhaha. :-)

If so, it won't be long till its locked up tighter than a pit bull on a pot roast.

No brouhaha here. I agree that uninstalling the old and re-installing the new is the proper procedure, if one cannot install over the old. However, some anti-malware products (especially older designs) can and will cause problems with installs.

Geoff

BPAA

• 2 weeks later...

Naaww, don't turn that stuff off.

Just my opinion, but that shouldn't be necessary and isn't safe.

If it won't install, go the long way around. Uninstall the old one, restart, install the new one.

If that won't work, there is some other problem so post back.

I agree, its my practice to uninstall any and all applications, a clean install is the proper way in smart computing, but before you install larger apps run the "Drive Wiper" to make for a clean surface.

Thanks..

everready

israel_xs.gif

Saved By Grace And Grace Alone