help needed

oh boy

Try Macrium Reflect 4.2.3775

This is already present according to

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

This should allow you to create in a spare internal partition and/or an external drive,

a partition image of C:\.

Then if you do further damage to C:\ it is easy to undo the damage by restore that image.

• Moderators

With your parents not being too knowledgeable about computers, can we assume that "System Restore" would have been active and running before this glitch?

That's also assuming you didn't turn it off at any stage. :)

If the answers yes, I can probably help you get that computer restored to a date before whatever happened, happened.

All you would need is access to a CDROM drive, and hope that the hardware is actually OK, and this is a software glitch.

• Moderators

A question for you guys.

Firstly, sorry for the late entry into this thread, but I usually suggest my "Rescue CD" as a last resort if all else fails. So Logins hard work and suggestion to use Checkdisk is definitely worth trying first as it may make my suggestion totally unnecessary.

I posted so "oh boy" would know there's another option in case Checkdisk didn't help, to make sure he came back to the thread.

Secondly, and I think I already know the answer to this one ... Is it possible to download an ISO containing the NTFS file system, and then burn it to CD as an "Image" with a Mac, to use on a Windows computer.

Yea, a stupid question, and I believe it can't be done, but as I've never done it, I thought I would ask.

I'm also a little late on responding to this thread too ;)

From the description it does sound like a problem with the file system so I would agree with login123 you should burn and boot Hiren's Boot CD into "Mini XP" mode.

Once at the desktop open a DOS Prompt: Start, Run, cmd.exe

and enter: chkdsk.exe c: /f

If XP still doesn't boot normally then try: chkdsk.exe c: /r

@Dennis an ISO is an ISO it doesn't contain an NTFS file system it could however contain a file which itself an image file i.e. VHD, VDI, RAW etc.

If all you're doing is downloading a ISO file and burning a CD using a Mac then I don't see this being a problem.

Richard S.

I downloaded W.A.I.K. from Microsoft. It was a 1.7 GB ISO that took more than 1 hour to download.

I then had to burn it to a DVD and then it was ready to install the W.A.I.K. in Windows 7 x64.

I guess that any operating system can, with the right tool, burn an ISO file to disc without being concerned about the contents of the ISO.

This says you can burn an ISO from MAC OS X

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/maciso

Ubunto must be easy, it even has a snapshot showing a pussycat using it.

• Moderators

When you burn an ISO to a CD as an "Image", the ISO isn't burned to the disk as an ISO.

All the files are extracted and then burned, and the disk made bootable in the process. This ISO contains a mini Windows, and is I believe in NTFS form.

This is what the CD looks like after the ISO is burned as an "Image" ...

A Mac won't write these types of file/folders to CD surely.

If I'm wrong I'll be happy, as it makes it easy for the OP to burn this Rescue CD using his Mac.

This CD, after booting, attaches itself to the Windows Installation, and because of that, can run System Restore on that computer via a very easy "Wizard", which as far as I can tell is otherwise impossible if you can't even get to Safe Mode.

XP's Recovery Console can't run System Restore, and I haven't found a live CD which can do this either.

EDIT: I appreciate the link and input Alan, but it doesn't say it will burn the ISO into something Windows will run.

Again, I'd love to be wrong, so maybe "oh boy" could try it at the cost of 1 blank CD.

There's no such thing as FAT32, NTFS, EXT3, or HPS+ with regards to the CD file system because it was designed to be cross-platform compatible. Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9660

ISO 9660, also referred to as CDFS (Compact Disc File System) by some hardware and software providers, is a file system standard published by the International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO) for optical disc media. It aims at supporting different computer operating systems such as Windows, classic Mac OS, and Unix-like systems, so that data may be exchanged.

If you have an ISO file that needs burning to CD then burn it using a Mac (as "image" not as file) which should be no different than burning the same image with a PC or Linux machine.

Richard S.

>>Whew<< Boy am I glad to see you guys. It's like the calvary has arrived. :D I think checkdisk will work if the HD is OK, but several heads are better than one. (but hats will cost more)

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

I suggested Hiren's and chkdsk 'cause they are free and (fairly) easy, and if that works it's the most efficient.

And I ran Hiren's and chkdsk here and chkdsk worked.

Plus, that's what redhawk always says. :P

That Hiren's v- 14.1 is worth its weight in gold. Has a ton of apps on it. Including some tools that will format the disk to NTFS, but oh boy is maybe not ready for that yet? Just asking.

I'm gonna sign off and get back on w/ Hiren's disk so I can explore a bit if you guys have suggestions. Will be working without a net, tho, cause Powershadow will be off. :unsure:

Back in a minute.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

• Moderators

If you have an ISO file that needs burning to CD then burn it using a Mac (as "image" not as file) which should be no different than burning the same image with a PC or Linux machine.

Richard S.

That really surprises me, but I'm happy to be contradicted in this case.

If checkdisk doesn't do it, then he can now try the System Restore and use his Mac to make the CD. Or in fact, use Puppy if it has Image burning software installed.

Login, the cavalry isn't coming yet, but we're just over the hill waiting. :)

Back now, Mini XP running in RAM, using Opera browser. I'll post up some screenshots from here.

Hey oh boy, you got Hiren's on a cd yet? If you do, it'll almost certainly hook up to the net for you, if Puppy did.

Fwiw, here is a scr shot of windows explorer running in Mini XP. Will post more later if oh boy isn't fixed by then and if they are needed, but right now duty calls.

Btw, screenshots are a pain in Mini XP, Flash will not install, so getting the forum code is a clumsy.

but here it is: th_Hirens141_mycomputer.jpg and with "windows" expanded th_Hirens141_windows.jpg

If you open Hiren's CD in a running windows OS, you can see two files called "HBCD.txt" and "HBCD Menu.cmd".

HBCD.txt is a text file listing the apps on the cd.

HBCD Menu.cmd opens the "Program Launcher" which will actually launch'em.

Not suggesting to use anything except Mini XP > chkdsk /r yet, just mentioning it because I don't remember that from earlier versions of Hiren's.

Other members will know more about what each of those apps can do. Just doing a bit of legwork for them.

Here is what the Program Launcher looks like when you click on "Programs" at upper left: th_Hirens_Program_Launcher.jpg

Hi everyone,

first, sorry for the delayed reply. After my last post i went ahead and burned the Hirens .iso file on a CD. Unfortunately i choose not to read the repeated advise from Dennis

Worth a try, just remember it must be burned as an "Image".

Alan's link has the how to, but you probably already know how to do this.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/maciso

so that CD turned out to be useless. And it also turned out to be my last empty CDR, so that was that for the day. Yesterday i was away for the whole day, but managed to buy new CDR's and had access to a Windows computer, where i got to burn the Hirens CD properly with the included BurnCDCC (and Dennis' Rescue CD as well, just in case).

So, today i was able to boot into Mini Windows XP and follow Login's instructions. So far it doesn't seem to work out, but i encountered some unforseen error-messages and i might not have done what i should have been doing. I'll show you some screenshots (that i took by manouvering my mac in front of the other monitor, so sorry for the bad picture quality). Maybe you'll see right away what's wrong here.

Right after the start of Mini Windows XP i got these two messages where i just said OK and didn't do anything else:

fotoam010927u9d5khp4b.jpg

fotoam01092aebcxvq7r6.jpg

i'll better make a new post for the rest - TBC in a few minutes

okay, after i clicked these two messages away i went to Start->Run->CMD->C:

fotoam01092u4zxdhi9tj.jpg

i got this:

fotoam01092q7evtupgwz.jpg

i said no to force dismount and then on the next question i said yes to a check with the next start

fotoam01092kq0o5awy7t.jpg

However, that didn't happen. After i exited and rebooted again into Mini-Windows, it was exactly the same as the first time. So i went ahead and tried "chkdsk /f" (instead of "/r") as suggested by redhawk in post #30.

fotoam01092uec36lox4f.jpg

with the same result:

fotoam01092n78xyectzh.jpg

so i thought i'd try the forced dismount thing:

fotoam01092ni4kybvczt.jpg

the result was this:

fotoam01092bo19shmfnp.jpg

BUT (the regular) Windows XP still won't boot.

Sooo... i happen to have a few hours time right now... any immediate suggestions (aside from buying a new PC :) )

Would any other screenshots be useful? - Just tell me what to post!

Am thinking...never easy for me... Good on you to work so much to fix your parent's computer. :)

I'm on here now using mini xp. Exploring the utilities menus.

Did you try to reboot the xp computer with the cd out of the drive, and it wouldn't go?

If so, restart it with the cd in go to mini xp,

and look down in the lower right corner at the little wrench icon.

click on it and then system information and then run speccy to see how much memory you have.

Scratch that...can't get speccy to run here, so run SIW (system information for windows) and go down to memory and see how much it says you have.

When you boot XP as normal please access the boot menu by hitting F8 just before the splash screen and select "Disable automatic restart on system failure"

When you get the Blue Screen of Death write down the STOP Code you're crashing on.

btw: have you tried "Safe Mode" yet??

Richard S.

Am thinking...never easy for me... Good on you to work so much to fix your parent's computer. :)

I'm on here now using mini xp. Exploring the utilities menus.

Did you try to reboot the xp computer with the cd out of the drive, and it wouldn't go?

If so, restart it with the cd in go to mini xp,

and look down in the lower right corner at the little wrench icon.

click on it and then system information and then run speccy to see how much memory you have.

yeah well... i broke it, so i guess i have to fix it :)

besides - i find it kinda educational... i mean i won't get an expert through this, but some knowledge will stick.

so, yes i restarted the computer with the cd and without it, it won't boot in the regular XP either way.

When i click on Speccy i only get this:

fotoam020923jgvqdkxro.jpg

is this of some help?

fotoam02092k7myo2zqiv.jpg

In Hiren's Mini XP are you able to access "C:\System Volume Information" and a folder _restore(random charters)\rp(some numbers)\SNAPSHOT ?? (fyi they contain system restore registry snapshot files)

Richard S.