Fake ccleaner software

hazelnut

The web is full of crap and dodgy software so it really doesn't surprise me CCleaner got 0wn3d by hackers.

Unfortunately some people aren't street wise enough to spot real from fake and end up spending their money.

Richard S.

• Moderators

Strange that "GFI senior threat researcher " has the ability to get a VirusTotal on the offering,

but not the knowledge to realise that the "Real McCoy" is free of charge.

That surprised me, and the infosecurity report should have at least looked a bit like this ...

GFI Software's senior threat researcher has warned about a Russian website that is apparently offering various low-cost versions of the free CCleaner PC utility, which is widely used to remove unwanted files, fix problematic registry entries and the like. The only problem with the pirate site is that the software is infected with malware.

... and a link to a genuine download would have helped.

Strange that "GFI senior threat researcher " has the ability to get a VirusTotal on the offering,

but not the knowledge to realise that the "Real McCoy" is free of charge.

You mean its free? :mellow::huh::o:blink:

;)

25qd6wl.jpg

Hazel, a big vote of thanks for the vigilance on scams such as these. I could have been one of the suckers. Thanks again for your valuable contributions and looking over us.

If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain. (Emily Dickinson-1830-1886)

This wants shouting from the roof tops !

and the dodgy ebay listing wants ebay threatened with selling fake goods they`ll soon take it down if then

You mean its free? :mellow::huh::o:blink:

;)

Nope its not, it cost only 5$ a year, all money is directly paid to my bankaccount for full download ;)

Jokes aside. It is indeed sadening how companys and website owners out there always try to make a easy coin out of unknowing users... And whats even more sad is that some people really fall for it to :wacko:

Well this kind of methods are used since years unfortunately. Actually, if more people would simply think when surfing, and maybe put a little effort in things(better double check then beeing sorry later), these kind of methods would die out, because there wouldnt be enough people who fall for it. Also sadly i notice it in some of my own friends, many of them dont give a damn and go surfing like lalala, not thinking, sometimes to regret it one day. Sadly most people just dont pay enough attention, be it to websites and if they are trustworthy, or security, both the same dramas always.

It's a real bitch to get it pulled off eBay as just a normal eBay customer, believe me I've tried and failed miserably when I spotted it. I think it would take Piriform serving some cease and desist papers to them.

I have just got an Ebay / PayPal receipt for ?4-90 GBP Laptop charger.

The really scary thing about this is the customer protection that is denied.

The receipt concludes :-

Consumer advisory- PayPal Pte. Ltd., the holder of PayPal?s stored value

facility, does not require the approval of the Monetary Authority of Singapore.

Users are advised to read the terms and conditions carefully.

For 70 years I never knew that the Monetary Authority of Singapore even existed.

Now that I know of them it is worrying to think that they cannot intervene should there be any dispute over my ?4-90 GBP ! !

• Moderators

Now that I know of them it is worrying to think that they cannot intervene should there be any dispute over my ?4-90 GBP ! !

Have a lawyer send them some documentation and they'd probably give your money back, I don't think they'd want to be embarrassed over a few pounds which could turn into much more.

Edit:

Here's something funny though I once made a purchase on there and forgot to look where it would ship from, turns out it was from Hong Hong and what was more interesting is the guy shipped the item so much faster than people that live in my country. That and I liked the text and stuff on the packaging, it was interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a real bitch to get it pulled off eBay as just a normal eBay customer, believe me I've tried and failed miserably when I spotted it. I think it would take Piriform serving some cease and desist papers to them.

That's amazing.

They would probably just say they were only charging for the cost of the media to burn it to, & that it was a user's own choice in buying it though.

Which would make it even harder to get it pulled, I guess.

So nice to know that there are people out there like this!

• Moderators

They were charging if I remember correctly as it's been months ago $9.95 (U.S.), and media shipping on eBay for disks, Video games (even those large PlayStation 3 cases), etc., shouldn't cost no more than perhaps $1.50 (U.S.) so the cost of media excuse if someone used that wouldn't save them in my opinion -- they're just trying to profit on something illegally.