Cookies not recognized in build 1.26.218

ELaimins

Hi folks,

I've been using CCleaner for about a year now,and in the last build - 1.26.218 - the App does not see any of my cookies (yes, I confirmed this second that I at this moment in fact have three cookies in my Temporary Internet Files folder...

Now, if I go to CCleaener -> Options -> Cleaner it only sees two...

Furthermore, when I specify these two, for example, as "cookies to keep", the next time I run CCleaner they are deleted anyway...

Note: Earlier builds (I cannot tell you which ones-but they were perhaps about six weeks or older ago-did not have this problem).

Before anyone asks, this is fact:

when I specify cookies as "cookies to keep", the next time I run CCleaner they are deleted anyway...

Any thoughts folks?

Eric

= = = =

Update:

Now it retains the cookies - at least in theory. Let me explain...

Under (IE6) Tools -> Internet Options -> Privacy -> Advanced , I ALWAYS choose the "override automatic cookie handling" option, checking to block first and third party cookies, BUT ALWAYS ALLOWING Session cookies.

I then go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Privacy -> Edit and then specify the explicit (the aforementioned six) sites that I "always allow" to always give me a cookie, update my cookie-from the aforementioned half dozen sites. It worked very well for a couple of years.

Now I am in cookie hell...

I run CCleaner and-POOF-the cookies still stay on my PC after the sweep, but they are now unrecognizable by the six sites and I have to re-login all over again...

Thanks!

Eric

Edited by ELaimins

This has been around for a while with minor variations.

See http://forum.ccleaner.com/index.php?showtopic=3272 & http://forum.ccleaner.com/index.php?showtopic=3284

As noted in the second post above, I found that clearing all the cookies once seems to clear up the problem.

23338[/snapback]

Hey Glenn,

Good stuff and you are spot on. Clearing all the cookies first and then re-adding them (new ones) does the trick ;)

Thank you Sir!

You're welcome.? But it's a pain in the a**.? Fortunately, it only seems to be necessary after some updates.

23343[/snapback]

Glenn! :(

Bad news I'm afraid...

It worked FOR A WHILE -> maybe about three runs of CCleaner, and now am back where I started...

Yes, the cookies show up in the "cookies to keep" list, yes the cookies show up in IE's "Temporary Internet Files" folder, BUT here's where it gets really funky...

My six cookies are now no longer recognized by SOME sites, and are by other sites after running CCleaner about three times or so...

Cookies are cookies are cookies, and they are handled identically by my PC's browser-none are in "trusted sites" in IE Security Tab for example...

GRRRRRRRR ;)

So I am going to de-select cookies from my CCleaner list of stuff to clean, and take it from there as my browser is already set up to refuse all cookies except session cookies...

Possible explanation for some working and others not:

Check C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Cookies before and after using a site whose cookies aren't recognized.

Some sites seem to rename cookies as they update, i.e., the number in <username>@webaddress[1].txt increments [1] to [2] to [3], etc. or toggles [1] to [2] to [1] each session. You won't see this when the cookie is displayed in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files as Cookie:<username>@webaddress\ .

Possible explanation for some working and others not:

Check C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Cookies before and after using a site whose cookies aren't recognized.?

Some sites seem to rename cookies as they update, i.e., the number in <username>@webaddress[1].txt increments [1] to [2] to [3], etc. or toggles [1] to [2] to [1] each session.? You won't see this when the cookie is displayed in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files as Cookie:<username>@webaddress\ .

23374[/snapback]

TGIF Glenn,

You are quite correct. The sites that do not retain a "functioning" cookie for the six Sites I login to frequently increment their cookies with a >>> (1).txt <<< suffix placed at the end.

What's really weird is that when I go to my Temporary Internet Files Folder ALL the cookies appear normal (NO suffixes at all).

It was only when I tried to open the cookies for the Sites that were not retaining logon credentials did an error message appear in IE stating "cannot find the file <username>@webaddress[1].txt" even though when viewing the Temporary Internet Files by eye they did not have the "[1].txt" suffix, just the typcial <username>@webaddress.txt cookie.

In other words, they LOOK all normal, it's only when one tries to open the cookies did I find out that they have the [1].txt suffix...

What's is REALLY REALLY weird ;) is that if I don't run CCleaner at all, including de-selecting the "clean cookies"option, my logon cookies retain their "integrity", if you will. Running CCleaner regardless of whether I choose to select or not to "clean cookies" makes no difference. Simply running CCleaner brings about the problem we are discussing...

Many thanks for your input, Glenn.

E

Not that this helps solve the problem but, as near as I can tell, this is what happens:

CCleaner says it's going to keep "glenn@news.google.ca" but is really referencing "glenn@news.google[1].txt".

I go to the site and do something which replaces "glenn@news.google[1].txt" with "glenn@news.google[2].txt". Then I run CCleaner which wipes the cookie because of the [2]. I go back to the site and it gives me a new "glenn@news.google[1].txt" which doesn't contain my account info. This will be kept because it matches but if I re-enter my account info, it toggles to [2] and will be wiped again. If I do something else on the site, it may toggle back to [1] and be kept.

Google News has used the "toggle" for some time. Hotmail seems to have changed to this system last month. Others may be doing the same.

Not that this helps solve the problem but, as near as I can tell, this is what happens:

CCleaner says it's going to keep "glenn@news.google.ca" but is really referencing "glenn@news.google[1].txt". 

I go to the site and do something which replaces "glenn@news.google[1].txt" with "glenn@news.google[2].txt".  Then I run CCleaner which wipes the cookie because of the [2].  I go back to the site and it gives me a new "glenn@news.google[1].txt" which doesn't contain my account info.  This will be kept because it matches but if I re-enter my account info, it toggles to [2] and will be wiped again.  If I do something else on the site, it may toggle back to [1] and be kept.

Google News has used the "toggle" for some time.  Hotmail seems to have changed to this system last month.  Others may be doing the same.

23388[/snapback]

Hey Glenn,

Okie dokie.

Anyone know if a wildcard can somehow be added "somewhere" (i.e. to the cookies themselves or in IE Tools -> Internet Options ->Privacy ->Edit ) to address this cookie toggling issue?