How do you do this?

Super Fast

I have to run 32 bit CCleaner in 32 bit windows, but sometimes in 64 bit windows, I still mess up & make a mistake & run 32 bit CCleaner.

Having to have both 32 & 64 bit means there is greater chance for err, & also that I have more files...

Does anyone know any scripts, programs, or SFX commands I can use automatically determine if an OS is 32 or 64 bit, then launch the correct version of CCleaner in a folder?

Ideally, I would love to be able to use a RAR SFX command, but I am open to ideas & suggestions for other apps/scripts/ideas as well.

If u know any way(s) to pull this off, please enlighten me! I am stumped!

You are doing it wrong ! !

CCleaner does the job all by itself.

I have just downloaded the latest Portable CCleaner and unzipped it.

In the same folder are CCleaner.exe and CCleaner64.exe

When I double click on CCleaner.exe I actually launch CCleaner64.exe.

As a double check I renamed CCleaner.ini as CCleaner#ini and relaunched CCleaner.exe

This time it was again CCleaner64.exe - but this time a clean start offering to save cookies.

To answer the OP's question, you can check if %PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE% is AMD64 or not.

Does this also apply if the CPU came from Intel ?

How about testing for the presence of the folder SysWow64

Does this also apply if the CPU came from Intel ?

Yes. The "x86-64" architecture is commonly referred to as AMD64 because AMD invented it, even when talking about Intel processors.

Checking for the presence of SysWoW64 is a hack, and might stop working in the next version of Windows ;)

(Intel's 64-bit architecture is the Itanium, which failed in the consumer market because it lacks compatibility with 32- and 16-bit instructions - which is also the reason they created UEFI since the standard BIOS is 16-bit only)

Piriform French translator

. . it can be 25-30 seconds of boot time before you see the first bit of OS sign-on"...wtf?

I think they mean "It can be 25-30 seconds before you are able to log into your computer after turning it on"

Not really true on hardware designed for your system, but I have seen such things on some slower laptops and the like.

I just now timed a cold boot-to-logon, 1:35 -- quite slow according to that story. :D

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Updated next day: This morning's bootup was 51 secs. It had more pep after a full night's rest. :)

It's Vista Basic, 3 yrs old with a 2 Ghz Celeron 440, RAM maxed out at 2 Gigs, so I can't upgrade. It'll become a backup unit in November when I spring for a quad core box with 8 Gigs RAM. Prices drop like a stone in November, so I gotta wait till then cos I'm a bargain hunter. :)

As a realist, I'm not expecting UEFI to be on the new unit.

I remember reading several times that newer desktops can hold up to 8 gigs of ram but unless you have "x" it will only recognize 6 gigs ram. And I believe "x" was "a 64 bit system", which I have. I currently have 6 gigs of ram but my system only recognizes 5.75 ram. Would it be worth it to get 2 more gigs of ram, being how cheap it is these days?

The newest boxes are holding 16 GB RAM. Check your specs for type of RAM and max capacity.

I believe that 5.75 GB is available RAM after what's dedicated to graphics. If you added 2 GB your available RAM would increase to 7.75.

PNY is selling 2 GB DDR3 for $15 today. Will it fit your system?

16 gigs ram? Whoa. :blink: Speccy tells me I have DDR3 ram, 3 of 4 slots taken. $15? Sounds good to me. I'll check that out. Thanks! :)

When you say, "Will it fit your system", do you mean does it have the correct bottom slot locations? (I have a recent HP Pavilion desktop.) Haven't they gone universal in that regard so "1 fits all"? :huh:

As for fitting your system, I meant to ask if your pc will actually accept a 2GB PC3-10666 1333MHz DDR3 Desktop DIMM module without exceeding the memory limit, and all the numbers are compatible.

The slots are standard hardware, and Speccy claims there is a vacant slot, but you should open up the unit and verify.

You see, Speccy does sometimes err. It claims I have 4 slots, 2 are empty. Not true. I have 2 slots, no empties. I consider it a minor error and not worth pressing cos I know what's all inside for I often leave the box open. In fact it's open right now cos I leave the side panel off during the summer, which helps it run cooler.