I'd like to see this change

GWT

How about changing the file measurement from kilobytes (KB) to megabytes (MB) in the Cleaner section?

Or at least give us the option to change it?

It's already MB in the Tools section. Besides, who the hell uses KBs unless it's under 1MB anyway...

+++1

Absolutely! And when it gets over 1024mb, then auto convert it to GB.

Looking at something like 5,698,852 kb (in the millions) is ridiculous.

Ya hear that, developers?

Thanks.

I hate it - unless the results are always sorted in the order of absolute size.

When I look at the Analyse results my eyes are drawn to the big items.

I take notice if CCleaner is prepared to wipe out a 6,789 KB file,

but could easily overlook 6.78 MB sandwiched between 5.67 KB and 7.89 KB

Incidentally w.r.t. 5,698,852 kb,

my mother would have said that anyone who gets his computer that dirty does not deserve to have a computer ! ! !

Having hard to believe Microsoft will ever help us see the difference between binary base 2 measurement and preferable base 10 decimal.

When using binary figures it should at least use correct prefix e.g kib, MiB, GiB etc.

Today when open up properties for files and drives there's only kb MB GB even the numbers are in binary.

Ok, it doesn't make that hugh difference when dealing with smaller files as the difference between base2/base10 ain't more than 2-3% but when new users starting compare their drives above 160GB then it has a great impact on an eventual reaction when realise much of the capasity has disappeared somewhere :) Next thought..This drive may be broken :unsure:

A reminder for the software industry.

Otherwise, +1 for the suggestion

When I look at the Analyse results my eyes are drawn to the big items.

I take notice if CCleaner is prepared to wipe out a 6,789 KB file,

but could easily overlook 6.78 MB sandwiched between 5.67 KB and 7.89 KB

True enough, yawn, but trash is trash, eh?

Do we really need to analyze a 6,000 k file long to realize that is the same as 6 MB, & that a 6 mb FLV file in the internet cache folder is still trash?

Alan, do you selectively save ur internet trash?

LOL!

Kidding!

Hahaha!

Do we really need to analyze a 6,000 k file long to realize that is the same as 6 MB, & that a 6 mb FLV file in the internet cache folder is still trash?

A junk file of 6 kB is not uncommon.

A junk file of 6000 kB is not so common, and I have to ask what was the purpose of something that would fill 30 % of my first 20 MB HDD,

and is that purpose still valid,

i.e. did CCleaner make a mistake ?

Comparing 6 kB with 6000 kB involves one numeric variable.

Comparing 6 kB with 6 MB or 6 GB involves a second and non-numeric variable - dangerous when my eyes are tired.

This is why I would prefer absolute value sorting so that all the kB and MB and GB sizes are not jumbled together.

I do not know how CCleaner is now,

but one of my first posts here was to complain that had I not recognised the folly,

then Registry Cleaning would have destroyed a Microsoft "Teach yourself XP" course

The Microsoft numbskulls configured the CD to install the course in a user profile,

but idiotically configured with registry keys in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,

and when I used the profile which lacked the installation CCleaner wanted to zap "redundant" keys,

and I guess those keys had a purpose for the other profile.

Stuff happens ! !

A junk file of 6 kB is not uncommon.

A junk file of 6000 kB is not so common, and I have to ask what was the purpose of something that would fill 30 % of my first 20 MB HDD,

and is that purpose still valid,

i.e. did CCleaner make a mistake ?

I agree with u that it would be confusing, perhaps, especially if you were tired, and especially if you were saving temp files for some reason.

I haven't had any prob with CCleaner though, yet. I mean, nothing major, at least. Course, I haven't really had need to save temp files.

I could probably be greatly enlightened, if I knew more about the type of temp file your trying to preserve perhaps, to understand more the significance of it.

Of course, optionally, perhaps, give users the KB to MB update as default, & allow users who wanted to revert (such as you) the option under advanced options to do so, if they wished.

This would appear to be the solution to both problems, would it not?

Edit: You have a 20 MB drive? Are you serious? LOL! I mean, I am not laughing AT you, I just, that's hard to imagine that anyone still uses those! Just wondering, what on Earth do you use something so SMALL for? I am very curious. 20 MB? AVG free is fast approaching 200 MB! Do let us know pls! I never imagined u could still actually have a use for a 20 MB drive, so maybe I will learn something!

Edit: You have a 20 MB drive? Are you serious? LOL! I mean, I am not laughing AT you, I just, that's hard to imagine that anyone still uses those! Just wondering, what on Earth do you use something so SMALL for? I am very curious. 20 MB? AVG free is fast approaching 200 MB! Do let us know pls! I never imagined u could still actually have a use for a 20 MB drive, so maybe I will learn something!

I don't think he still has that 20MB drive.

At the E-Cycling drive a year or two ago, I threw away 2 10MB drives, a bunch of ZIP drives, 2GB tapes and a tape deck, amongst some other ancient pieces of computer hardware (floppy discs that were actually floppy too ! :o)

also, a bit late but

Incidentally w.r.t. 5,698,852 kb,

my mother would have said that anyone who gets his computer that dirty does not deserve to have a computer ! ! !

My firefox cache, amongst other cleaning paths frequently makes it into the gigabyte range.

I cleared my recycle bin of 1,200,000 files a few weeks ago, summing 54GB :lol:

The pro version of Macrium includes in the licence fee a one-time download of a WinPE msi installer.

A big download that appear in the Internet Temporary files.

I did not let CCleaner sink its teeth into that until after I had verified that this was a secondary by-product of a download to some proper destination,

and that the proper destination had functioned and installed what I needed.

Had CCleaner zapped and the intended destination failed it would have cost money for an extra download.

I do not pay too much attention on the location, temp or otherwise.

The size however just possibly might be related to any extensive capability contained there-in.

If CCleaner should take out a 1,000,000 kB file I have not lost a simple text editor,

unless of course it came from Adobe the King of Bloat ! !

I just like to keep my finger on the pulse.

I know what sort of things to expect, and anything unusual is of interest.

I cleared my recycle bin of 1,200,000 files a few weeks ago, summing 54GB :lol:

I thought I was the cautious one, but I crown you the king of caution.

I "never" delete to the recycle bin. When I decide it is time to go it goes.

My very first P.C. was a Compaq Luggable - too heavy for a typist to carry.

The basic had two flappy floppy discs,

The business model had 1 floppy plus a 10 MB drive.

I had second hand an ex-lease deluxe model with floppy and a 20 MB drive.

In my formative years every application was judged by how much of my 20 MB it would seize.

Even though I now have a 1000 GB Primary drive, in the core of my being a 1 GB application is felt as being 50 Hard drives.

I thought I was the cautious one, but I crown you the king of caution.

It's more out of laziness recently, I do a lot with many small files and zip files, and it generates a lot of clutter so I usually hit DEL and ENTER in rapid succession, to send it to the recycle bin. Then I forget to clear the bin.

Also stuff like this happens:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14823386/2011-06-20_131516.png

Someone set my headset down on PRT SC, which I have set to automagically take a screen shot and save to a file. It took one every second for about an hour and a half. :lol:

Your very brave, man!

I always delete to the recycle bin, because:

- Sometimes something will bang the DEL key (dropped book, cookie, whatever) & cause it to activate long before u really need it.

- Sometimes, when kids come over, they may decide to get happy (& delete things before you catch them)

- Sometimes, malware apps may run amok, hence the recycle bin recovery of things...

Although, u may not need it, it does at times save my hide!

Every so often, I empty the recycle bin, after I am sure that I do not need said items.

But I leave it on.

Speaking of which:

Sometimes, if i connect my 1 TB drive with multiple partitions, then I remove it & plug in a flash drive, the recycle bin gives the flash drive a recycle bin of its own.

On checking, it seems it is because Windows sometimes fails to fully consider the old drive removed, so when you connect a flash drive, it inherits the "properties" of the old drive. IE, if it is assigned the partition letter of a 500 GB partition that USED to be connected, then windows says the flash drive is 500 GB (& also assigns it a recycle bin, which is much bigger than the entire flash drive itself!).

This is pretty weird, & although I presume that recycle binning does indeed work, I dare not test it while I have a flash drive with valuable info on it. Who is to say whether it will be properly recovered, or it is, if it might overwrite some existing application?

Definitely very interesting!