SUPERAntiSpyware v5.0 Final Released

Andavari

• Moderators

SUPERAntiSpyware v5.0 Final Released (2 August 2011)

http://www.superantispyware.com/

They still offer the Free Edition!

To name a few changes it has a completely redone interface which is vastly better looking, and the scanning times are drastically faster. The one thing I don't care for is the new background service SASCore that always needs to be left running even if disabling the SysTray icon and disabling the startup when Windows does.

If anyone is still sporting the old version it's worth updating!

Hi folks. Just curious...For those of you who are using the new version 5.0, did you completely uninstall the previous version and do a clean install of 5.0? Or did you install 5.0 on top of your previous version?

• Moderators

I always do a clean install with such big version jumps, and there are some differences I think that may warrant an uninstall, reboot, then install of the new version. Although you could probably just upgrade through your older version if you wish.

I always do a clean install with such big version jumps, and there are some differences I think that may warrant an uninstall, reboot, then install of the new version. Although you could probably just upgrade through your older version if you wish.

Thanks. I was leaning toward the clean install approach.

A follow-up: SAS has an uninstall assistant that's advertised to be used if problems are being experienced. What process did you use to uninstall?

http://forums.superantispyware.com/index.php?/topic/1345-how-do-i-uninstall/

• Moderators

I uninstalled this way:

1. Revo Uninstaller.

2. Reboot.

3. Total Uninstall to remove any remnants.

4. Manually removed on the hard disk and in the registry what Revo Uninstaller and Total Uninstall couldn't remove.

This is basically what I always do when removing anything!

If you run a tight ship and don't surf pr0n, completely uninstalling an app and purging all hive files can be considered anal retentive, can't it? :huh: I very rarely completely uninstall apps to upgrade. (I don't have Java anymore, I could see the reason with that app, or QuickTime, etc..) But other popular common apps from Filehippo, I really don't see the need.

Maybe I got it wrong and there's a big update difference between XP & 7 that I don't know about but that's just me.

• Moderators

completely uninstalling an app and purging all hive files can be considered anal retentive, can't it?

When dealing with security-based apps like antivirus, antimalware, etc., I always like doing a clean install.

When dealing with security-based apps like antivirus, antimalware, etc., I always like doing a clean install.

I concur.

Some security software hooks in deep for a secure foundation from which to repel all comers.

When it updates then what was hooked in needs to be replaced and Windows may prevent removal.

Then a total removal and clean install is needed but Windows may still hang on to old items that prevent the new.

Also when changing software if the old is not purged then Windows Security Centre may prevent installation of the new whilst it still sees bits of the old.

FileHippo is a valuable resource but is not relevant here.

It not only provides nice portable software,

but you can also get Security Software such as Comodo,

and even worse there is no end of bloat that gets nowhere near my machines such as

Adobe Reader 10.1 down to Adobe Reader 6.0

I very rarely completely uninstall apps to upgrade.

Agree w/ Andavari. Winxp here. I do the most complete removal I can manage.

Whether we notice it or not, wxp sloooows down over time.

Not sure what causes that, but it happens much more slowly if I do a complete uninstall every time.

Learned that the hard way. :)

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

I uninstalled this way:

1. Revo Uninstaller.

2. Reboot.

4. Manually removed on the hard disk and in the registry what Revo Uninstaller and Total Uninstall couldn't remove.

This is basically what I always do when removing anything!

I've got Revo (portable version). I haven't used it to uninstall apps yet, but certainly don't mind trying. What settings do you use?

Regarding #4, I'm not afraid of the registry, but I don't have tons of experience there. I do know about backing up any changes that I make there, and have done so. Plus, I make a restore point before going in and I perform regular images of my hard drive just in case. But up till now, the changes I've made to the registry were from step-by-step instructions or guides. So, this may be a naive question, but when you are looking for remnants to remove, do you simply conduct a registry search (keyword = superantispyware). Or some other approach?

• Moderators

cc1 I have nothing against Revo etc but would suggest that when uninstalling security type software that you use that softwares uninstaller first.

Sometimes if you use a 3rd party uninstaller on Security software.. bad things can happen.

Just a slight difference of opinion to Andavari's :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I use Regscanner from Nirsoft to search.

It RAPIDLY produces a list of all matches and you can select any result and use built-in options.

One option is to launch RegEdit pointing straight at your target.

Infinitely superior than using RegEdit to painfully peek and poke at each key one at a time.

Sometimes if you use a 3rd party uninstaller on Security software.. bad things can happen.

Good advice in general.

My experience with Comodo Internet Security is that until recently their uninstaller does not always get rid of all that it attempts.

The Comodo User forum had a user generated BAT script that targeted known "bits that stick" and nothing else.

My preference was to use Revouninstaller to initially launch the official Comodo Uninstaller,

and from its observations Revo could detect related items that should have gone and attack those as well.

After that I launched the user script which would seek and zap the same expected residuals regardless of what Revo may have done.

My feeling is that Revo may see things unknown to the script,

and the script has user experience of what could be remote from the action and out of site of Revo.

There is a recent Comodo user contributed cleanup tool which promises to be better,

but I have not yet had the "pleasure".

• Moderators

So, this may be a naive question, but when you are looking for remnants to remove, do you simply conduct a registry search (keyword = superantispyware). Or some other approach?

No, because I used Total Uninstall to track the installation of everything so I know exactly where they've put everything, so there's no guesswork. The only reason I manually clean the registry after removing security software is because just about every antivirus/antimalware/firewall places keys in the CurrentControlSet area of the registry - now it hurts absolutely nothing leaving those keys in there but I myself get rid of them. Note that the CurrentControlSet area of the registry isn't a place to be messing with if you don't know what you're doing.

Using something like Revo Uninstall or IObit Uninstaller shouldn't cause issues with SAS. However like you've pointed out they definitely can't be used on everything such as some firewall and antivirus software.

No, because I used Total Uninstall to track the installation of everything so I know exactly where they've put everything, so there's no guesswork.

Andavari - are you still using Total Uninstall v2.35 (the last freeware version)?

• Moderators

Andavari - are you still using Total Uninstall v2.35 (the last freeware version)?

Yes. I'm still on XP where it works perfectly fine, however I don't know how that old ancient version works on Vista or 7.

1. Revo Uninstaller.

2. Reboot.

How much free space is LOST by the use of Total Uninstall ?

i.e. You gain 1 MB for every MB which T.U. cleans that Revo failed to remove,

but how many MB is held in the logs that T.U. uses to track installations,

and after T.U. has uninstalled does it purge the relevant logs ?

A few years ago I was not happy when I saw a large T.U. data-base which seemed to me to be good at removing empty folders ! !

• Moderators

For me it doesn't find much else leftover after using Revo Uninstaller, sure there may be little bits here and there but the majority of the leftovers it deals with on my system are registry settings which Revo doesn't always seem to find when using it in a saner/safer removal mode.

As for how big the tracking logs are totally depends upon how much something installs since it will track everything, I currently have logs ranging from 2.35 KB up to 3.91 MB.

After you've uninstalled something and used TU to remove leftovers you can configure it to automatically remove a log from a successful uninstall, or what I do which is manually remove them because as I've stated after using it I then manually remove any leftover registry data in CurrentControlSet (if it's security software), etc., and I need to look through the log to find out where in the registry I need to browse to. The reason I do this is because locations in the registry like CurrentControlSet are those which TU doesn't have the Admin rights to remove anything due to the permissions of those registry keys.

One caveat is don't use it when uninstalling drivers such as graphic drivers, etc., or else it could really botch up the system.

• 4 weeks later...

Never had it before, tested it a few hours ago, cant say anything bad about it, the opposite. Even if it was only a tracking cookie, it found 1 that even spybot, ad-aware(deinstalled by now, now as good as it was before in my oppinion) and even MBAM couldnt find. Also I noticed its fastness in running and updating, though scanning fastness was about the same as most scanners. As a additional scanner for spyware my rating: excellent.