Operating System Prevalence

login123

Couple of sites showing OS and Browser demographics. Is this a rather sluggish adoption of win 7? Or maybe just a slow economy, where folks don't buy new computers?

buncha numbers w3schools

nifty graphs StatCounter

Edit: StatCounter shows that win 7 has overtaken win xp in North America, but not in Europe. Maybe why one is broke, one is not. :P

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

There's still a good amount of WinXP users I see. I wonder how that will change though after Microsoft dumps supporting it. I for one will just get a new computer when they stop support, or if my current XP system dies before that time or if I run into more applications that really do require more modern hardware to run efficiently because in that respect alone XP is really a dinosaur.

I couldn't care less if Microsoft dumped XP support their updates have mainly been for plugging security issues with internet explorer and outlook express which I never use anyway.

As long as you have a hardware router, software firewall and some AV/HIPS software you really don't have anything to worry about.

People may laugh but I quad-boot with NT4 and 98SE now and again, do I sound bothered just because they're unsupported OSes?? :lol:

I'm sure Windows 7 is a nice and Microsoft would like my money but to be honest I've always preferred functional over flashy when it comes to computers.

Richard S.

• Moderators

As long as you have a hardware router, software firewall and some AV/HIPS software you really don't have anything to worry about.

True but I also consider how slow some of that antivirus software runs even on an XP system with good specs. That's one reason it should be criminally illegal for any company to sell or pitch a computer using words like "future proof" which QVC does often.

• Moderators

I couldn't care less if Microsoft dumped XP support their updates have mainly been for plugging security issues with internet explorer and outlook express which I never use anyway.

This is flawed logic. One need not use these softwares for the sec issues to apply. They are on the computer and can be leveraged. As well as that, as trident (aka Internet Explorer) is the basis for many programs and even windows itself, by not plugging the holes a user is very at risk.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

If your computer is connected to a NAT router there is no "backdoor pass" because no services are exposed to the outside.

Therefore any exploits must be done from the inside, i.e. ARP poisoning (re-routing network traffic to another local machine), infected USB drive, bad web sites, infected email attachments or installing cracked software.

Even if Microsoft plugged all the security exploits to the operating system it won't stop malware or virus infections by other means if the user gets careless.

That is why my personal view on Microsoft dropping XP support won't change a single thing and I certainly won't be panic buying Windows 7 because even they get infected.

Richard S.

• 3 weeks later...

If your computer is connected to a NAT router there is no "backdoor pass" because no services are exposed to the outside.

Therefore any exploits must be done from the inside, i.e. ARP poisoning (re-routing network traffic to another local machine), infected USB drive, bad web sites, infected email attachments or installing cracked software.

Even if Microsoft plugged all the security exploits to the operating system it won't stop malware or virus infections by other means if the user gets careless.

That is why my personal view on Microsoft dropping XP support won't change a single thing and I certainly won't be panic buying Windows 7 because even they get infected.

Richard S.

I tend to agree with you, somewhat, Red.

I have had a Windows 7 64 bit laptop AND desktop I had to repair all in the same day. Both of them were severely infected, & had toolbars/startup items/BHO/malware/viruses/& system hosts file hijackers.

Even though they were using the most up-to-date updates from MS, this does nothing to stop users from running rogue applications. At the end of the day, the most effective forms of prevention still are to alert the people to the dangers of installing toolbars/smileyface applications/clicking facebook scamware ads (you have been infected. please click here to fix the problem, etc)

It takes a combination of firewalls/antivirus/security apps, but they can all still be subverted if the end user doesn't watch what they do.

*Edit -> Most people NOT buying 7, probably are in no rush to do so because of the following reasons:

- 7 Activation problems (annoying to have to keep re-activating stuff you own, as well as being questioned if you do it too many times)

- XP is cheaper & runs just as good as 7, for the most part (why buy newer os, when the old still works great?)

- Some programs do not work well in 7 (yes, some tax/business programs cough in 7, & virtual machining it isn't ideal)

- XP image viewer works with animated GIFS + smooths images when blown up

- XP includes webcam viewer with capability to snap pics from it

- 7 license fees can be steep (why pay again for something that XP does well with?)

Although Windows 7 DOES include many nice features, is faster in some cases, includes 64 bit (XP does too, but 7 64 bit is gonna be supported long after drivers for xp 64 bit are gone), etc...

Also, the fact that Microsoft includes so many versions of each OS, that are trivially different from each other, such as:

- Home (32 + 64 bit editions)

- Business (32 + 64)

- Enterprise (32 + 64)

- Ultimate (32 + 64)

- Etc, etc, etc

Is bound to be very confusion. Coupled with the fact that each of them have very different end user license agreements, which are probably long enough to waste all the ink in your printer if you decide to print out several hundred pages of legalese to review, understand, obey...

It really is no wonder why this situation is. LOL!

This is flawed logic. One need not use these softwares for the sec issues to apply. They are on the computer and can be leveraged. As well as that, as trident (aka Internet Explorer) is the basis for many programs and even windows itself, by not plugging the holes a user is very at risk.

Although, if you use Steady State from Microsoft + Sandboxie, you can eliminate much of the risks...

I tested Steady State for a motel that was having problems once, & it worked great! Users would play games that installed toolbars, or pesky startup items...

Quick reboot, deny all changes, & Windows was back exactly as before!

*Edit - Installed & set Firefox as default browser before running Steady State, + installed most up-to-date flash, + decent antivirus app, etc, etc...

Internet Explorer + active X is too much of a risk!

• Moderators

Although, if you use Steady State from Microsoft + Sandboxie, you can eliminate much of the risks...

I tested Steady State for a motel that was having problems once, & it worked great! Users would play games that installed toolbars, or pesky startup items...

Quick reboot, deny all changes, & Windows was back exactly as before!

*Edit - Installed & set Firefox as default browser before running Steady State, + installed most up-to-date flash, + decent antivirus app, etc, etc...

Internet Explorer + active X is too much of a risk!

While true this does not apply to 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the population and therefor not really helpful in explaining to users that they MUST run these updates.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

As to what is running on my computer, here is what I am running, & why:

- Netbook -> Windows 7 -> Tested XP & 7. Both are fast, but I like the looks of 7.

- Desktop -> Windows XP -> XP trumps 7 because searching external drives is much easier, + image viewer works with animated GIFS & smaller pics don't get pixelated when enlarged.

Love the portability of the Netbook, but hoping eventually to fix the problems in 7.

Anyone know a good file search replacement, & image viewer replacement? Haha!

• 4 weeks later...

Internet Explorer... no thanks! I use Firefox:)

Windows' any version will when needed launch "use" IE under cover in the background.

After running ccleaner you can see that some IE files have been deleted even though IE hasn't been used by the user

After running ccleaner you can see that some IE files have been deleted even though IE hasn't been used by the user

I noticed that a lot. A lot of image and thumbnail caches and quite a few other FF internet files are 'stored' in IE when you use FF. I think it's a way MS can say "See? IE is integrated with Explorer."

I noticed that a lot. A lot of image and thumbnail caches and quite a few other FF internet files are 'stored' in IE when you use FF. I think it's a way MS can say "See? IE is integrated with Explorer."

Well I learned something new today:) thanks Corona.

I also learned that my little tablet pc has limited capabilities when making and trying to edit posts here at Piriform' I can't make a post with a "quote" I think it uses an "opera" based browser, and as for an operating system... I have no idea?

I noticed this dot on my screen and I thought crap not another dead pixel. Then I realized it's the period for the end of your sentence that was a couple lines under what you typed. :lol:

Hi Andervari:)

Yes I made that post with my tablet pc and as I mentioned in my post above it has limited capabilities:)

Sorry about that stray dot LOL

• Moderators

You should all be careful, very careful.

Dots are protected under a new IP Board licence and if more than one dot is harmed or misused the consequences can be severe.

Members with minor dot infringements (such as a dot misplacement) will be known as 'dotterrers' instead of 'members'

Posters with repeated dot infringements will be dotted and no longer allowed to post as they will never be able to end a sentence.

Back on topic. Opera will always be my favourite on XP and I like IE9 on Win7 a lot (sorry craig :))

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

You should all be careful, very careful.

Dots are protected under a new IP Board licence and if more than one dot is harmed or misused the consequences can be severe.

Members with minor dot infringements (such as a dot misplacement) will be known as 'dotterrers' instead of 'members'

Posters with repeated dot infringements will be dotted and no longer allowed to post as they will never be able to end a sentence.

Back on topic. Opera will always be my favourite on XP and I like IE9 on Win7 a lot (sorry craig :))

Sorry hazel :( I'll be more careful wlth my dots err... period ends

Back on topic. When you stop and think about it... we are very lucky to have such choices... Opera, IE, Goo-chrome, FF and so on :)

You can manually type in quotes, here's an example in code:

Thanks Andavari

I think I'll just use my desktop pc for making any post's.

My touch screen tablet is fine for reading post's, just a bit fiddly to use when it comes to typing.