Same registry issue is reported

When I run registry for the first time (once a week), I'm always notified of an "Unused Extension - {". Why does this continue to pop up? Is there any way to determine what program or what is causing this? It doesn't seem to be an issue, just an annoyance.

Why does this continue to pop up

Because CCleaner's unused file type detection is badly broken and shouldn't be trusted.

I've already mentioned it, complained about it, posted a video demonstrating this bug but still no response from the coders.

The simple solution is to either use an earlier version or CCleaner or untick unknown file type detection until a fix has been issued.

Richard S.

• Moderators

Because CCleaner's unused file type detection is badly broken and shouldn't be trusted.

That's why I use an older version I trust. Unfortunately our complaints about it are falling on deaf ears!

• Moderators

there should be zero reason to be doing registry integrity so often. Also I hope in doing so you practice safety (see my signature)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

That's why I use an older version I trust. Unfortunately our complaints about it are falling on deaf ears!

What older version do you find you trust? What's involved to going back to an older version if I'm on the current one?

• 3 weeks later...

When I run registry for the first time (once a week), I'm always notified of an "Unused Extension - {". Why does this continue to pop up? Is there any way to determine what program or what is causing this? It doesn't seem to be an issue, just an annoyance.

Do have more than one account on your pc?

I found that cleaning on one account does not clean what is under another account, so do the clean and then switch accounts and do the clean again and see if the entry is still appearing.

there should be zero reason to be doing registry integrity so often. Also I hope in doing so you practice safety (see my signature)

I do, I always use a condom when doing a clean :)

• Moderators

What older version do you find you trust? What's involved to going back to an older version if I'm on the current one?

3.03.1366 available on Filehippo here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/9167/

Probably a clean install is necessary to go back due to new versions changes, etc., i.e.;

1. Uninstall.

2. Restart Windows.

3. Install.

it is nothing to worry about.. you will see that after clicking on any files on your computer.. that is where they come from..

This has already been discussed to death with the file extensions newer versions of CCleaner finds, sorry I just don't trust the registry cleaner part anymore. I've used tons of registry cleaners over the years and it's very troubling when even very aggressive ones don't find the file extensions that CCleaner does and I'm only referring to currently registered and working extensions for the software installed on the system.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Spam links removed member banned

Edited by Nergal
Spam

Moderation: The user was banned for putting in spam links and the post was removed.

Unfortunate.

If you want advice please use "Start New Topic" at lower right corner.

Your problem seems totally unrelated to this topic.

• 2 months later...

Try Acelogix Registry TuneUp.

• 3 weeks later...