Anyone having problem with Trend Micro Housecall?

englishmen

• Moderators

HouseCall hasn't worked on either of my two systems for the past year or so even when using it with Internet Explorer, it was constantly having problems either updating, initiating, and giving an analysis after scanning was completed. I've completely given up on it.

• Moderators
I don't have IE on my pc so ill think ill keep trying Housecall 6.5 for now. Maybe ill email them if it does not start working soon.

23025[/snapback]

Umm...

Why did you get rid of IE? You still need it for some sites and to visit the windows update page. Anyway did removing IE give you any problems?

I got rid of IE because i have not used it since i got firefox, there were no sites the i used that was not compatible with firefox apart from as you say Windows Update. I now use WindizUpdate and while i sometimes have problems when it install the update i.e. it doesn't. They are downloaded so i just manualy install them which is no problem. The only other thing i used IE for was on-line virus scan but trend micro supports firefox so that's that.

I have been without IE for about 4 months now without any problems :D . I used Nlite and RyanVm'sUpdate pack which integrates all available post sp2 updates straight onto my custom xp installation disk so all available hot fixes are directly integrates into xp.

• Moderators

I got rid of IE once on my Win98 system a few years back and to my amazement Win98 seemed like a bland piece of crap after removing it, sure it ran faster but allot of the functionality I was used to was gone. Reinstalling IE on a system that is without it can be a tricky thing.

I got rid of IE once on my Win98 system a few years back and to my amazement Win98 seemed like a bland piece of crap after removing it, sure it ran faster but allot of the functionality I was used to was gone. Reinstalling IE on a system that is without it can be a tricky thing.

23109[/snapback]

When you got rid of the IE did you also get rid of the IE Engine? because if you did it affects a load of stuff more or less everyone uses weather you actualy use IE or not. With nLite i only removed the IE application not the Engine. So things like html documents , windows update, control panel user accounts etc are still usable if you did remove the Engine as well the mentioned things will not work.

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I had to do on my PC to get past the stupid API warning:

Search for and delete the "Sun" folder (assuming the only thing in yours is Java files and Java related files).

Search for *ousecal* and delete all the entries that are found including any temp files. (.housecall, eu-housecall, various "hc" entries, etc).

Search for "hc" and delete any files you are sure are housecall related.

Delete any Netscape Navigator files (assuming you don't use Navigator. However, this step appears crucial).

Basically, you do not want any Java files, any Housecall files, and any Netscape Navigator files on your PC BEFORE you visit the Housecall site for the first time. If you have multiple Java versions or an outdated Java version, an old Navigator version or ANY Housecall files you had when Housecall did not run properly, HCall will not work. Apparently it remembers your first visit and insists on reusing the files it initially loaded, whether or not they worked :blink:.

Visit the Housecall site. You should receive a notification that you need additional plug-ins for the site to display properly. This will be the latest version of Java which will now download after you give it the OK (large file).

If for some reason you don't get the plug-in message, you can download Java via the Java website.

NOTE: On my ancient PC, Housecall will not run via Firefox. I did get past the Native API warning after following the above steps, but I keep getting a file error during download which I believe is because my dial-up connection is so slow. It ran the first time but hasn't since.

If you try this, PLEASE let me know if it worked so I know whether to blame my PC.

THANKS AND GOOD LUCK!

Thanks for the info Mike, however that sounds like a pain just to use one online scanner when Microsoft has their one that works without going through an ordeal.

23944[/snapback]

Thanks Andavari-

I agree completely. I noticed the USA TrendMicro site is now linking to the Euro site when you try to do an online scan. IMHO I think that's a mistake because the US site always worked quickly and easily.

BTW, THANKS for the link to MS's online scan, I used it before and liked it but I couldn't remember where it was.

• Moderators
The trend micro scanner is much faster. I dont know which detects more but that MS one is slow.

24048[/snapback]

On my system the MS scanner is just as fast as the Trend Micro scanner and my installed eTrust EZ Antivirus, however that's only after disabling installed av resident shields during the online scan which will decrease the overall scan time by 15-25% or more. Also the MS scanner updates much faster (on dial-up) versus the one from Trend Micro. The Trend Micro scanner would take so long to download the signature files on my dial-up that it was a better choice to instead download AVAST, AVG or some other installable AV scanner and then just uninstall it once scanning was completed.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I get the error message "Warning the HouseCall-Api did not define a native binding" any ideas what's causing this?

image12yx.th.jpg

Hi englishmen,

I don't know if you are still interested in the answer to your original post, but thought I might pipe in with my 2 cents worth anyway. Although Trend Micro could be a little more forthcoming with their requirements for running HouseCall on FireFox, here is how you can make it run correctly.

How to fix Housecall so that it works with FireFox.

If you receive the message "Updating and Starting Housecall" but nothing happens, then Tools - Options - Content - Block Popup Windows - Allowed Sites and add "housecall65.trendmicro.com". This is a FireFox setting independent of AdBlock.

If you received "the housecall-api did not define a native binding", that is caused by AdBlock. You don't have to uninstall AdBlock, just change a setting. Adblock - Preferences - Adblock Options - "Obj-Tabs" needs to be activated.

You can also Whitelist the entire trendmicro.com site in AdBlock to prevent it from interfering.

That's it! I have found that Housecall finds more bad stuff than any other online scanner, although I would never recommend anyone rely on it exclusively. It is great for a second opinion however, and very useful when you have some malware which is impeding the execution of other anti-spyware products since Housecall can run in both Java or in ActiveX.

TH.

• 1 year later...

I also got the "API did not define a native Binding" message w/ Housecall 6.5.

On the trendmicro site a little below where you click "Scan now, its Free", look closely. There is an invitation to try out version 6.6.

I did and it worked flawlessly (for me anyway).

Good Luck!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

need info like sp2 Xp IE6 or firefox I get told XP sp2 & IE is min at http://housecall.tredmicro.com/ & some bad seting's to work for firefox http://fr.trendmicro-europe.com/consumer/p...call_launch.php > Run Online scan for both IE & Firefox may be best to try Kaspersky & Norton fist as it the way I got it to work as the help is better, but trendmicro scan is better it was for me. :rolleyes::rolleyes: