Optimize system startup and shutdown

Scheduled task "Collection of usage data for Windows"

Category: Non-recommended scheduled task

Main program: Windows SQM Consolidator

Manufacturer: Microsoft

Once you agree to take part in the "Windows program to improve user friendliness", a scheduled task is created that collects data about how you use your system. This data is then sent to Microsoft.

Unfortunately, even if you say no to participation, the scheduled task is still created; it just does not do any data collection.

Recommendation

Is recommended that is cancelled this scheduled task. The system does not need it and it does not make sense to run it every time the system starts up.

Solution

As administrator, start the cmd.exe, type and press enter:

schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\Consolidator" /DISABLE

schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\KernelCeipTask" /DISABLE

schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\UsbCeip" /DISABLE

Overwrite the page file at shutdown

At shutdown, Windows can overwrite the page file with zeroes to prevent unauthorized access to private information such as passwords. However, this process significantly adds to shutdown time.

Recommendation

Turn this option off if you have no urgent need for it. Overwriting the page file slows down shutdown and does not fully protect data stored on computer.

For effective protection from unauthorized access, is recommended to enable encrypt of entire hard disk.

Solution

On regedit.exe, go to key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

on ClearPageFileAtShutdown, change the value from 1 to 0.

At shutdown, Windows can overwrite the page file with zeroes to prevent unauthorized access to private information such as passwords. However, this process significantly adds to shutdown time.

Windows clears my paging file at shutdown. I see only a minuscule delay (a few seconds).

How much longer does it take your system to shutdown?

Before this, 6 ~ 10 minutes, after this less than a minute... I'm a developer and use the computer a lot.

Evidently you have a huge paging file (which causes thrashing).

I trimmed my paging file and realised a performance gain cos RAM is much faster than virtual memory.

My settings. 77u8F.jpg

Shutdown is maybe 15-20 secs.

I ran my Windows XP box with no page file. (It had 4GB of ram so there was no point in a page file, since it couldn't even pick up all 4gb, the usage only ever went above 1-2gb when I was running games like WoW)

Once I get my new ram to work with this computer (some spooky happenings that make no sense -> http://forum.corsair...ed=1#post509676 ) I'll probably disable the page file on this computer as well.

• Moderators

I ran my Windows XP box with no page file. (It had 4GB of ram so there was no point in a page file, since it couldn't even pick up all 4gb, the usage only ever went above 1-2gb when I was running games like WoW)

Once I get my new ram to work with this computer (some spooky happenings that make no sense -> http://forum.corsair...ed=1#post509676 ) I'll probably disable the page file on this computer as well.

Bare in mind that with no page file on the boot volume you won't be able to produce dump files.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

@ Kroozer

I was taught to set the page file min and max to the same figure to avoid fragmentation.

Does Windows 7 need the defragging exercise ! !

I have a picture in my mind of your pagefile expanding and contracting and writhing from one end of the partition to the other,

like a snake travelling down a gravel footpath.

I will blame your pagefile if I get nightmares tonight ! !

I've heard of trubbs with frequency mis-matches. All the sticks should be the same speed.

Actually after I here I went into BIOS and manually set my frequency and timings and got it to work.

I shouldn't have had to do this, they are the exact same models, the only difference being one set is 2x2gb and one is 2x4gb

All is well now though, got my 9-9-9-24 timings back :)

Yes, that wisdom prevailed in the days of pricey RAM.

Shane's pc runs without the impediment of a paging file. Post #174

While this is true, Kroozer, it is also true that if you are running a computer with no paging file, that instead of Windows switching to virtual ram when RAM is full, it will simply bluescreen & you will be unable to use Windows again till you reboot.

Although if you have a large amount of ram, this may not happen too often, it is certainly not good on your computer. Examples of how this can happen are:

Running multiple programs concurrently that invest a lot of time either in decoding/ripping/watching/converting video files, audio, whatever...

Before you say "but this could never happen!", remember that opening a lot of tabs in Youtube takes a lot of memory, as well as other activities...

I would think it best to let Windows handle the page file limit, since it can automatically increase the size if need be, & although the PC may slow, it won't bluescreen.

Years ago I read that some application developers are so ignorant that they think RAM is to valuable for their gadget to utilise,

so they code it to demand a chunk of pagefile.

(I hope they are out of business now)

I wonder what would happen to said applications when faced with a computer that has no pagefile.

I guess it was business as usual Windows style,

i.e. BSOD after BSOD ! !