CCleaner Suggestion

Hi everyone, its my first topic, I would like to give a HI to forum, and make a little and in my opinion very useful suggestion for CCleaner. I see that CC is making very good progress with newer and newer versions, and i really love it, its very very useful, BUT the one and only thing that bothers me and make me use some other software with it is that CCleaner does not have REGISTRY SEARCHER, I beleave that many of you people after performing some deletion of some sowtware in windows want to delete also enterings in registry, because somethimes and many times there`s files that are NOT deleated from registry, and you must manualy delete it. I would not suggest you to copy some other software like this - image - http://goo.gl/nY1Cc , who exacly does searching registry, I want just to give you hint for adding something close to this, some option for search in "registry" option and option for selecting sometning and delete it. Sometimes after cleaning ALL of the registry something might go wrong, after deleting some system file... thanks in advance, I hope that I helped a little in this suggestion.

People who do not know better sometimes advise those who know less to clean up computer registry problems with CCleaner.

It is unfortunate that sometimes novices delete keys without backup and things fail because the "unused" key was needed.

A novice who never used CCleaner before might type "Opera" and he will do far more damage if he is on the Registry Seeker menu instead of Registry Cleaner.

Dangerous and not related to existing objectives.

People who do not know better sometimes advise those who know less to clean up computer registry problems with CCleaner.

It is unfortunate that sometimes novices delete keys without backup and things fail because the "unused" key was needed.

A novice who never used CCleaner before might type "Opera" and he will do far more damage if he is on the Registry Seeker menu instead of Registry Cleaner.

Dangerous and not related to existing objectives.

I agree with first, and would never suggest for beginner to use CCleaner`s any of options, I`m installing it on every pc I rebuild just for case and easy setup for me.

I did not understand this "opera" and "damage", maybe you didn`t understand me, I wanted to say that for example if you delete lets say media player classic from k-lite pack and want to secure delete it, instead of running "regedit" and CTRL-F (finding) entries, delete and delete ande delete twenty-fifty or no-matter how many entries, you just type in search "mpc" and CCleaner find for you ALL the entries which suppose to be dissapeared but NOT and you manualy select it an DELETE it and thats it, no errors, just clean erase of unessesary `non-existing` files and somethimes potential problems...

I beleave this solution is less dangerous than performing FULL CLEAN of Registry, according to this it might be dangerous espetially for novice, maybe is smart to put an option "EXPERT" or "ADVANCED" which displays SEARCH OF REGISTRY option, thats SAFE you agree.

I was suggesting "Opera" as a browser that some-one might have issues with that might need a gently fix,

and it might be appropriate to clean a few registry issues which CC suggest as meriting removal.

These may be removed without damage to the Opera installation.

If the novice misunderstood the advice from his "friend" he might type "Opera" into the registry seeker,

and then he is only a few clicks away from destroying all the registry keys he needs for connecting to this forum and asking for help ! ! !

Also I do not believe secure deletion is any better than normal deletion for removing a hindrance to installing and removing applications.

It only affects whether a tool such as Recuva is able to bring it back to life.

Finally, I do not think it possible to securely delete a registry key, unless you can zap the registry hives in

C:\Windows\System32\config

You still do not understand me, I meant to give that option for REMOVE\delete registry enter for ADVANCED users, not users of course, and that is meant for solving problems after uninstalling some sotware IF there is any problem (example: I deleted k-lite codec pack and when tried to install newer version, error popped up with "you must remove haali plugin before performing installation") I couldn`t proceed and then I was able with RegSeeker to remove all registry entries with "Haali" plugin, in order to solve the problem, it was pretty succesful and easy. And what do we have in CC, in registry tab, "Scan for issues" and "fix issues", yes its very easy and in some reason MAYBE we want to know what cc is cleaning(fixing), maybe somethimes it fixes sometning that is NOT asking to be fixed, in that order its good to have also manual not FIX but DELETION, removal option for searched item(registry entry), instead of exploring to c-windows-system32-config, why to do that when you have software like RegSeeker to it for you precise and fast? I`m wondering why that options still does not exist..

here is example, you deleted with uninstall nVidia driver, you want to see if any entry is still existing, you type in registry search engine "nvidia", and it finds couple of entries, you select it and delete it and thats secure cleaning of everything tied to driver, you CAN now proceed installing new driver etc. pic - http://goo.gl/7ZGwU SO, not cleaning the all registry, BUT just specific entries, I hope I`m clear now.

• Moderators

imarkovic as you know this is an area for ccleaner suggestions. You have made yours so I would be greatful if you would now stop linking to Regseeker and using them of an example of how to get what you want.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I was unable to use the link because I have been virus/malware free for the last 20 years since my Son stopped bringing home games on floppy discs from college friends.

To maintain that status I need exceptional good trust in any link before I click it,

and when I hovered over the offered link I was given no further information on where it was going or what I would find there.

I would not have needed to see the destination if you had said it was RegSeeker from Nirsoft - I already use it and have full trust in it.

EDIT

OOPS, MY BAD, Still recovering over transition from XP to Win 7

Regseeker is from Hoverdesk and has the defect that it will announce success at deleting a registry key even if it failed due to permissions issues.

Nirsoft provide Regscanner which is now my "Go To Tool", and is much faster than Regseeker.

Without that link I fully understood that you wanted to track down every instance of some whatever, such as the Opera Browser.

Perhaps I should have said Google Chrome or Adobe Flash to make it more plain to you.

If some-one wants rid of Google Chrome then something like RevoUninstaller will improve the cleanup.

If CCleaner had the facility for the novice to Type Google and have a Regseeker type search and then destroy every instance of Google,

that will give optimum "laxative" purging of all traces of Google Chrome in the registry,

but it would also profoundly damage/destroy Gmail and any other Google Goodies.

Trying to purge Adobe Flash could have consequence on many expensive Adobe installations.

It is far safer to use CCleaner as-is for detecting and removing registry items which it recognises as not being in use,

rather than providing a "Registry Devastator" to the average instant chat/internet browsing user who knows nothing about the Registry.

The only penalty is that the registry holds a few redundant keys that on average are much less than 4 KB - the "Size on Disc" of a very small file.

Whilst deleting 128 off 32 byte files increases free space by 512 KB,

I guess deleting 128 off 32 byte registry keys will only leave 4 KB extra free space in the registry hives,

and then we have a debate about the merits of defragging and compacting the registry to shrink the hive and add 4 KB to Disc Free Space.

NB

My reference to C:\Windows\System32\Config was humorous and on the basis that if you want secure deletion of a registry key it cannot be done inside the registry hive,

instead you have to select and secure delete the relevant registry HKLM/HKCU/etc hive file held in the C:\Windows\System32\Config folder.

I think CCleaner can do that for you if it is part of a Bart Boot disc, or if you have a dual boot system and the "Live" Windows can access the "Dormant" Windows,

But Windows will fight you to the death if you try to do that under Windows running Live.

Oh man, you gone way too far, and still going around and confusing me, you and maybe someone else :)

first, I do not agree with you about what you`re saying after deleting everything according with chrome, Gmail damages, you`re wrong, Gmail is mail server, it not depends from chrome, doesnt matter, I maked my poing here with suggestion, lets stop here and wait, maybe my wish will come true about that small little tiny thing in search registry..

I think you misunderstand me.

Google is responsible for Gmail and also for Google Chrome,

therefore if the naive user types "Google" into the Registry Destructor he may take out chunks of his email system as well as his browser.

I am not confused nor trying to confuse others,

but the naive user may fail to recognise his choice of Registry Keys targets may inflict unexpected irreversible collateral damage.

I concede that you want something to help the skilled user who may have many machines to fix,

and your suggestion is a worthy addition for the Network Version.

It may reasonably be assumed that the license paying user has above average skills in using high power tools,

and has adequate backup provision to take care of disasters.

Oh man, you gone way too far, and still going around and confusing me, you and maybe someone else :)

first, I do not agree with you about what you`re saying after deleting everything according with chrome, Gmail damages, you`re wrong, Gmail is mail server, it not depends from chrome, doesnt matter, I maked my poing here with suggestion, lets stop here and wait, maybe my wish will come true about that small little tiny thing in search registry..

Imark, to be honest, you are not the first to request this feature.

I myself have drooled over the idea of this, simply because some programs run their uninstaller routine & still leave hundreds of entries, or thousands even, that CCleaner reg cleaner never touches.

Although the software may be removed, it simply is left behind... Slowing the computer.

To be honest, a pro like me would never see the danger of this approach, since it would be a pie job to reference the locations of the left over Norton/McAfee/Whatever locations to verify they are genuine trash.

Alan likes to use big words, but I think he failed to make it plain to you... I think what he is trying to say, is that if this were built into CCleaner, then someone may search for "deleted" or "uninstalled" software (such as Opera, for example) but may end up instead of just removing a left over "Opera" installation, removing other areas unrelated to is (say, if they had software that used Opera Mini, or some other variant, & all traces got removed... Even those unrelated to the one you wished to remove).

The theory is, that an inexperienced user may crash a system by running a search for something far more sinister, that may cause the computer to either fail to work, or stop working the proper way.

While I would love to see this implemented, others here feel it is too great of a risk due to the above explanation.

@Super Fast

Agree with you, I`m also not a beginner or amateur, I`m also doing this for money like you(pro), and understood Alan what he tried to say, but I suppose when I suggest something like this then I`m a not a beginner, and he was explaining and explaining and I catch him but I`m not a beginner, so lets say I know what I~m doing when deleting reg entries, les use opera example, when you uninstall opera and want to erase entries for good after that, in search when you type "opera" in most softwares or windows registry you discover some files attached to opera in windows and that opera mini or some other variant and you dont CARE about it, because, in other column you see something like "c-program files-opera" "c>documments and settings>user>" blabla and you KNOW what you want to delete and what you dont or CANT or MUST NOT DELETE. Do you agree? I think yes. In order of that problems doesnt exist. Of course this is meant for advanced users ONLY.

Why do things have to turn into a long babbling back and forth book length discussion about a mere suggestion someone made.:rolleyes:

+1 for Andavari.

Hi, imarkovic, and welcome. :)

IMHO, even a suggestion not followed is a contribution.

Other registry cleaners I have used, including those mentioned here, are waaaay too agressive for most users. That's probably why the CCleaner developers have never included such functions.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

imarc, sadly, while this is an excellent idea (for advanced users), the people of piriform are trying to keep all people safe.

They believe that if you let just anyone have powerful tools to run nilly willy with, it will ruin a system & they will then try to blame piriform.

I too would love this feature, but for the sake of those who would just use it to ruin their computers, I think piriform may possibly decline this.

It is not that this isn't a very excellent suggestion, just that they don't want someone to ruin a computer.

People who ruin computers are very prone to start pointing fingers & making blames & they wish to avoid being tarnished in the process.

I sometimes hate this, LOL! Because I want some things so bad, but I can see their point, certainly.

CCleaner developers try to make it safe for everyone to use.

B)

imarc, sadly, while this is an excellent idea (for advanced users), the people of piriform are trying to keep all people safe.

They believe that if you let just anyone have powerful tools to run nilly willy with, it will ruin a system & they will then try to blame piriform.

I too would love this feature, but for the sake of those who would just use it to ruin their computers, I think piriform may possibly decline this.

It is not that this isn't a very excellent suggestion, just that they don't want someone to ruin a computer.

People who ruin computers are very prone to start pointing fingers & making blames & they wish to avoid being tarnished in the process.

I sometimes hate this, LOL! Because I want some things so bad, but I can see their point, certainly.

CCleaner developers try to make it safe for everyone to use.

B)

I would agree with you on this. I think we have to consider Piriform's target marketplace - the novice or inexperienced user. Putting too powerful a tool in the hands of a novice is inviting trouble. You would see a whole different kind of posts showing up on the forum from these users after they clobber their systems and blame CCleaner.

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

@Super Fast - YES, I apsolutely agree with you, you got point, and yes its logic, Alan wanted to say something like this in other words but you`ve sad it well, now I see that mu suggestion will never be accomplished or accepted because of possibility of system crash by `user` and I respect it from Piriform, I will still use replacing sw like `regscanner` for this and ccleaner for other doings and admins may lock this topic. Thanks everyone for good will and suggestions.