How do I find out when the last time I performed a cleaning was?

Praxium

There is no way, CCleaner doesn't keep a log. Your best bet would be to find a file you know would be deleted and check its creation date, but that may or may not be exact.

Would seem to be a reasonable request to make such an entry in the application event log.

GeoffreyB

BPAA

• Moderators

It's been asked before, and I think my suggestion was to look at the last accessed date for CC in the Prefetch folder. It's not really of any use though, as you can't tell what options were used in the run, or even if the Clean option was run at all.

Let me restate: There is a wonderful feature in Windows known as the "EVENT LOG". In the EVENT LOG there is a section for APPLICATIONS. CCleaner (an APPLICATION), in its process of evolving into an ever better product, could easily make an entry in the APPLICATION EVENT LOG which would include run date and time, and OTHER statistical information.

Such information could be of use to the individual, and would seem to be an excellent addition to the CCleaner Network Edition.

For the OP - there is no easy, straight forward way of getting the information you want. For the forum moderators and members, and the CCleaner developers, questions such as the OP posted, while not having an answer, can sometimes be considered to be excellent suggestions. This is one of those times.

Many other products make such use of the EVENT LOG for recording such information, with good reason. Perhaps CCleaner could join the ranks.

GeoffreyB

BPAA

Let me restate: There is a wonderful feature in Windows known as the "EVENT LOG". In the EVENT LOG there is a section for APPLICATIONS. CCleaner (an APPLICATION), in its process of evolving into an ever better product, could easily make an entry in the APPLICATION EVENT LOG which would include run date and time, and OTHER statistical information.

This would make it a WORSE product. Its mission in life is to reduce junk, not add to it.

Such information could be of use to the individual, and would seem to be an excellent addition to the CCleaner Network Edition.

How is this of use, other than to satisfy curiosity.

I will admit to a System Administrator needing to know what changes have been made, both when and by whom,

but if he has licensed CCleaner Network Edition for use on his corporate computers he is more likely to lock it down so employees cannot use it.

If the employees are able to run amok and damage computers the management response is likely to be to sack the administrator who allowed the situation,

not to examine logs to see when the computers were last cleaned.

The ONLY useful thing the curious can do is launch CCleaner and ANALYSE.

This will tell them how much is available to be cleaned.

That probably takes less time than examining Windows Events logs,

which will give absolutely no clue about how much junk is available for cleaning.

I want a tool that does a useful job,

not something that creates useless statistics.

This would make it a WORSE product. Its mission in life is to reduce junk, not add to it.

Alan, that is the beauty of opinions. You believe it makes a WORSE product, I believe it makes a BETTER product.

We are not talking about bloat here, although bloat is a great fallback argument for those who cannot see the obvious benefits.

GeoffreyB

BPAA

O.K.

Data is NOT Information.

I consider the time when CCleaner was run to be useless data that is only of interest for statistical purposes.

I would be interested in how you could make use of this as information,

and would you want to include which options were active,

and which files and registry keys were deleted ?

O.K.

Data is NOT Information.

I consider the time when CCleaner was run to be useless data that is only of interest for statistical purposes.

I would be interested in how you could make use of this as information,

and would you want to include which options were active,

and which files and registry keys were deleted ?

Alan, you are arguing for the sake of arguing. Expand your argument as much as you want. However, the simple fact is that the statistics (not the entire listing of files) from the CLEANER run have already been generated at the completion of the run.

It is a simple, non-bloat step to write them (the cleaner statistics) to the event log. Let's stay focused - the cleaner statistics are what we are discussing. Expanding the argument to include the registry is a bit disingenuous with regard to the discussion, unless your original argument/opinion cannot stand on its own.

GeoffreyB

BPAA

Alan, you are arguing for the sake of arguing. Expand your argument as much as you want. However, the simple fact is that the statistics (not the entire listing of files) from the CLEANER run have already been generated at the completion of the run.

It is a simple, non-bloat step to write them (the cleaner statistics) to the event log. Let's stay focused - the cleaner statistics are what we are discussing.

You have totally disregarded my question

What use can you see for these statistics.

Please note that I never spoke of bloat in the product.

I am referring to the needless generation of statistics for which no benefit has been suggested.

There have been previous suggestions that CCleaner should add to the proliferation of junk files by creating a dedicated file to record what it has done.

All you have done is add a subtle twist by suggesting that this junk be added to a system event log.

This will use disc space, even if it is not in a dedicated log file,

and is likely to IMPEDE the user when looking in the event log to see what led up to and possibly contributed to a BSOD or other disaster.

Expanding the argument to include the registry is a bit disingenuous with regard to the discussion, unless your original argument/opinion cannot stand on its own.

In no way am I a bit "lacking in frankness, candor, or sincerity; falsely or hypocritically ingenuous;"

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/disingenuous

I CONSIDER IT FAR MORE IMPORTANT WHAT IS DONE BY REGISTRY CLEANING THAN BY THE USE OF CCLEANER FOR ITS ORIGINAL PURPOSE.

This causes more disasters as it reduces the registry contents by a few kilobytes than the deleting of Megabytes of browser caches,

and this is, in my view, the only information that might be relevant when some one is looking at when a problem developed and what caused it.

Would you be arguing that a simple bare non-informative "Piriform Product launched" should be logged regardless of whether it was Defraggler or CCleaner ?

I am NOT arguing for the sake of arguing.

You however seem to want logging for the sake of logging without any apparent use for that data ! !

You have totally disregarded my question

What use can you see for these statistics.

Please note that I never spoke of bloat in the product.

I am referring to the needless generation of statistics for which no benefit has been suggested.

There have been previous suggestions that CCleaner should add to the proliferation of junk files by creating a dedicated file to record what it has done.

All you have done is add a subtle twist by suggesting that this junk be added to a system event log.

This will use disc space, even if it is not in a dedicated log file,

and is likely to IMPEDE the user when looking in the event log to see what led up to and possibly contributed to a BSOD or other disaster.

In no way am I a bit "lacking in frankness, candor, or sincerity; falsely or hypocritically ingenuous;"

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/disingenuous

I CONSIDER IT FAR MORE IMPORTANT WHAT IS DONE BY REGISTRY CLEANING THAN BY THE USE OF CCLEANER FOR ITS ORIGINAL PURPOSE.

This causes more disasters as it reduces the registry contents by a few kilobytes than the deleting of Megabytes of browser caches,

and this is, in my view, the only information that might be relevant when some one is looking at when a problem developed and what caused it.

Would you be arguing that a simple bare non-informative "Piriform Product launched" should be logged regardless of whether it was Defraggler or CCleaner ?

I am NOT arguing for the sake of arguing.

You however seem to want logging for the sake of logging without any apparent use for that data ! !

My, my... I seem to have touched a nerve and caused you to raise your voice.

Alan, using the event log for such purposes is actually what the event log is there for. Perhaps you should take some time to calm down, and review the entries in the event log. For example, look at the logging that Office 2010 does. And, the event log does have control over the size to which it can grow.

And, yes, defraggler should make such entries as well, if they do not already. I do not know if this is the case since I do not use defraggler.

However, let us all kowtow to your absolute (and narrow) view of the situation, since you must have the last word in any discussion, and that your point of view is, of course, the only valid point of view. Actually, it would be better for Piriform to abandon the entire GUI interface and go to a DOS command-line product, which seems best suited for your [limited] needs.

And, since we are throwing around links, here is some suggested reading: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/067141299X/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books

GeoffreyB

BPAA

For example, look at the logging that Office 2010 does. And, the event log does have control over the size to which it can grow.

So you want CCleaner to be an "me too" following in the lines of a bloat ridden Office 2010 ! ! !

However, let us all kowtow to your absolute (and narrow) view of the situation, since you must have the last word in any discussion, and that your point of view is, of course, the only valid point of view. Actually, it would be better for Piriform to abandon the entire GUI interface and go to a DOS command-line product, which seems best suited for your [limited] needs.

You resort to mocking me, my views, and my needs which are shared by many,

and you have read "How to Win Friends and Influence People".

Did that book do you any good ! ! !

I will GRACEFULLY allow you the last word in this discussion as you finally give me the often repeated request for just one benefit to be obtained from logging the use of CCleaner.

I can respect a reason for adding information to the event log if that information is more useful than the oldest information that gets displaced from the event log.

Will you please give a reason why you think anyone would think a CCleaner RUN event ought to displace this type of "soon to be displaced" Application Error

System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Search

[ Guid] {CA4E628D-8567-4896-AB6B-835B221F373F}

[ EventSourceName] Windows Search Service

- EventID 3029

[ Qualifiers] 49152

Version 0

Level 2

Task 3

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2011-04-19T16:44:24.000000000Z

EventRecordID 4926

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 0

[ ThreadID] 0

Channel Application

Computer Alan-Desktop

Security

- EventData

ExtraInfo Context: Windows Application, SystemIndex Catalog Details: The content index catalog is corrupt. (HRESULT : 0xc0041801) (0xc0041801)

Plugin Search.JetPropStore

or this type of "soon to be displaced" Application Warning

+ System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Search

[ Guid] {CA4E628D-8567-4896-AB6B-835B221F373F}

[ EventSourceName] Windows Search Service

- EventID 3036

[ Qualifiers] 32768

Version 0

Level 3

Task 3

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2011-02-19T22:01:29.000000000Z

EventRecordID 1325

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 0

[ ThreadID] 0

Channel Application

Computer Alan-Desktop

Security

- EventData

ExtraInfo Context: Application, SystemIndex Catalog Details: The specified address was excluded from the index. The site path rules may have to be modified to include this address. (HRESULT : 0x80040d07) (0x80040d07)

URL iehistory://{S-1-5-21-2862931192-2792275569-2707853943-1000}/

Please give me a reason why anyone would choose to study event logs for when CCleaner was run,

would they not be better off getting a life,

or at least studying "How to Win Friends and Influence People" ! ! !

Just identify one benefit from such data

Please, I am begging you, give me a reason.

So you want CCleaner to be an "me too" following in the lines of a bloat ridden Office 2010 ! ! !

You resort to mocking me, my views, and my needs which are shared by many,

and you have read "How to Win Friends and Influence People".

Did that book do you any good ! ! !

I will GRACEFULLY allow you the last word in this discussion as you finally give me the often repeated request for just one benefit to be obtained from logging the use of CCleaner.

I can respect a reason for adding information to the event log if that information is more useful than the oldest information that gets displaced from the event log.

Will you please give a reason why you think anyone would think a CCleaner RUN event ought to displace this type of "soon to be displaced" Application Error

or this type of "soon to be displaced" Application Warning

Please give me a reason why anyone would choose to study event logs for when CCleaner was run,

would they not be better off getting a life,

or at least studying "How to Win Friends and Influence People" ! ! !

Just identify one benefit from such data

Please, I am begging you, give me a reason.

Alan, I need not do any of the things you are requesting. It is you who immediately attacked my opinion on the event log issue, which shows how little respect you have for others and their ideas. My position and opinion is that CCleaner should provide an event log feature, whether or not you see the value. Thankfully, the feature set of CCleaner is not for you to decide. If it were, it would not be the product that it is today.

And, throwing a tantrum and holding your breath until you turn blue is rather immature.

I will leave the last word to you.

GeoffreyB

BPAA

Alan, I need not do any of the things you are requesting. It is you who immediately attacked my opinion on the event log issue, which shows how little respect you have for others and their ideas. My position and opinion is that CCleaner should provide an event log feature, whether or not you see the value. Thankfully, the feature set of CCleaner is not for you to decide. If it were, it would not be the product that it is today.

And, throwing a tantrum and holding your breath until you turn blue is rather immature.

I will leave the last word to you.

GeoffreyB

I accept

Shouting in BOLD is not a tantrum, I was emphasising the devastating capabilities of Registry cleaning over junk file cleaning.

I can and do respect those with different views, even if they are wrong.

You however started an attack by saying I was "a bit disingenuous" which is close to saying I am a liar.

But I can live with your disrespect.

My last word is that no reason has been offered for how this feature.

The ultimate final word will be if Piriform consider that there is any reason to add a log event to a product that should remove footprints from Windows and not add them.

Have a nice day.

• Moderators

Moderator having the last word occured above

No more baiting please, just discuss and respect other opinions.

Thus since the baiting, and all-out uncivil behavior,did not end I've closed this thread.

To the Original Poster: the developers do read all suggestions and take each one into consideration

My Opinion: because of the fact that event logs are a cleanable item via ccleaner, and the idea behind ccleaner is to not leave behind any junk (including error logs) that this is unlikly to be put into action, that said anything is possible and the above statement about the developers stands so it may happen.

(Last word in this thread is thread)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com