Firefox 5 out now

JDPower

• Moderators

That's interesting given that's the exact opposite of what they are claiming V5 is supposed to do :blink:

To rephrase and what I should've wrote is: When going from v3 to either v4 or v5 it uses allot more RAM.

Also the last version 3 I used never once crashed on me, can't say the same about v4 and v5.

To rephrase and what I should've wrote is: When going from v3 to either v4 or v5 it uses allot more RAM.

Also the last version 3 I used never once crashed on me, can't say the same about v4 and v5.

Ah, I see what you mean now. Weren't you just saying there was no reason not to update :P

I got randomly BSOD such IRQL ...? if I update through built-in updater. For that reason,I always do clean install every new version is out! in my xp machine.That never happen with W7. Btw, I have dual doot,XP Pro Sp3 and W7 Ultimate.

any thoughts ? hardware or driver issue ?

in W7, cold start now quicker than previous build.

• Moderators

Ah, I see what you mean now. Weren't you just saying there was no reason not to update :P

Meant that of course security-wise. If you like how version 3 looks and many people do check out this theme which also works in version 5: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/firefox-3-theme-for-firefox/

I like FF5 enough where I've finally dumped Opera after 5 or 6 years. Opera 11 is fast and very good, except for site compatibility. The list of regularly visited sites that don't work well for me in Opera is huge. Primarily Facebook. Awesome browser, but I just got sick of site problems. I've now upgraded Iron from my backup browser to primary, and Firefox is my new backup.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

there is also thunderbird 5, number 4 was not released, I've heard ;)

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

I use Fx7 as my main browser (though I've been running 6 so I can watch netflix shows while I play my games...silverlight <_<) I'm excited to see this happen. It's good to see those investigations are working, as that's long been a major quip I've seen people have against Firefox is it's memory usage issues.

• Moderators

It's good to see those investigations are working, as that's long been a major quip I've seen people have against Firefox is it's memory usage issues.

It takes forever to fix some things though (or acknowledge there's a problem), it's had a heavy memory footprint for a good while now.

Well they only recently started addressing it on a moz.dev.platform thread, so it's good to see relatively quick results :lol:

Yeah, FF sure does leak memory. Nice to have 6 gigs though.

New in Firefox Aurora:

• Performance Enhancements: Faster startup time on Mac, Windows, and Linux
  • Optimized Memory Use
    • Improved memory management: for many users, memory use is reduced by 30 percent or more, responsiveness is enhanced
    • The JavaScript garbage collector runs frequently to free up more memory when Firefox is idle

It seems that the new improvement has been pushed :)

How to tell what version of Firefox is right for me:

-> Concerned about memory use, or have a small amount of memory? -> Use latest 3.6 series. It uses much less RAM.

-> Have a lot of RAM to use, have a pretty fast PC? -> Use latest version available. Latest versions cache more objects to memory to improve speed.

Features I LOVE that FF added to their latest versions:

-> Ability to highlight a link & right click + search google, or open in a new tab. Great time saver!

-> Better use of the full screen. Much more screen real estate available.

-> Faster. Always nice!

Features I have reported to Firefox that I hope get fixed!

-> Right-click + T on a web link opens it in a new tab. DON'T right-click + T on your bookmarks, or it will delete them! Very confusing! Needs standardizing!

-> When you are on a web link, & your DSL/Cable/Internet goes out, anything that causes a webpage refresh during that time will result in you losing your website(s) that you have open. They will be replaced with the standard error message about your DSL being out, etc, etc. The back buttons are greyed out, leaving you with no option to return to that page. You can only either rummage through history, saved bookmarks, or try to remember which one it was from memory!