Error Code 80070005

Corona

Security Update for .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 for x64-based Systems (KB2478662)

Installation date: ‎6/‎15/‎2011 3:09 PM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 80070005

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system that is running the Microsoft .NET Framework and gain complete control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=211424

Help and Support:

http://support.microsoft.com

------------------

Happened on the 15th. When I Google/Bing it I have 2 choices...download one of two unknown fix-it "softwares" or read posts by people who have no f'n idea what they're talking about. The best they can figure out is that it has to do with permissions.

I have Win7 Home Premium 64bit.

By the way, I never use .NET. So maybe I should just let MS figger out they goofed and send out a future update fix? Sounds like a plan. ;)

Oh this is cute. I tried downloading that exact file from the official MS site and it said I already have that update installed on my computer. I guess it's a glitch in the Windows Update thingy. Sorry about the alarm.

Picard - "All hands abandon ship! All hands aban-"(BOOOOOOM!)

Kinda sorta. Well, I'm just gonna assume that what I found out in my second post is correct and that it did install correctly and the Windows Update app failed to recognize it as so. ;)

You might say it's a complexity of incoherent design. But then you always say that. :P

I just looked at W Update and see that the same update was retried and successful last night. Whether that's because I tried to install it from the MS site and maybe shook WU's memory bank into thinking, "Oh yeah...that.", I'll never know. But it's installed. So, goody. :)