Avira..Uniblue and the Ask Toolbar

hazelnut

Vipre works okay on XP for me. I have had no real problems with it.

Other ones you might consider are Microsoft Security Essentials or Prevx.

So, it it worth buying? does it slow you down?

Thank you for the comments.

• Moderators

I don't know which version of AVG you tried.

But I have no problems with it at the moment.

Resident shield always loads on mine. The 2011 version seems some better at protection than 2010 & 2009 versions of it.

I have tried and tested every major version they've released for at least the past six years (maybe longer), including the newest 2011 version.

Although it works perfectly for you that won't be the case for everyone, some people it gives them no problems, however for others it can have issues.

Well, I think Hazelnut would know more about this. I think if you're running XP 64 it might not be so much of a problem, but XP 32 might feel too burdened with it. Or so I've heard.

Look, I'm not wealthy, but I did buy a $600 Win 7 PC because of this and other reasons. I got it at a Best Buy with a "pay as cash" credit program. $50 a month. I can swing that. 18 months to pay it off. No interest. And here I am, after my old XP beast from 1990 died on me about 3 months ago. XP was great while it lasted. But it's gone now like the dodo.

• Moderators

Not what I wanted to hear since I'm still using XP. What's the installed size on Win 7 -- and how about memory use?

Tom I think you are just going to have to try it out for yourself and see how it goes for you.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

MSE seems "heavy" on XP because of its RAM usage but really it isn't a beast on RAM not even on XP:

afbfb3b72923.png

The area where it's annoying on XP is when performing a full system scan, it's rather slow!

MSE seems "heavy" on XP because of its RAM usage but really it isn't a beast on RAM not even on XP:

afbfb3b72923.png

The area where it's annoying on XP is when performing a full system scan, it's rather slow!

Pretty similar to the AVG I'm using (slightly less), but I don't have the mail scanner running, just resident shield and linkscanner.

• Moderators

Pretty similar to the AVG I'm using (slightly less), but I don't have the mail scanner running, just resident shield and linkscanner.

Yeah RAM-wise it's just run-of-the-mill I'd say, really no conversation in its RAM usage.

The big shocker though like I've stated is the full system scan time on XP, anyone switching from Avast or AntiVir will be shocked how much longer it takes.

@ Tom AZ

The installed size is this on my system:

Application Data: 269 MB

Program Files: 16.6 MB

Total = 285.6 MB

@ Tom AZ

The installed size is this on my system:

Application Data: 269 MB

Program Files: 16.6 MB

Total = 285.6 MB

Thanks, Andavari, that's the info I was looking for. Would love to know if there's anything out there that's really lightweight in overall resource usage.

• Moderators

Would love to know if there's anything out there that's really lightweight in overall resource usage.

Currently Avast is. Note that Panda Cloud Antivirus "seems lite," but really it was only using just a small bit less ram than MSE - of course talking about an XP install with those.

Thanks for the info. I'd really like to use avast, but for some reason, the mouse freezes when starting a scan.

Vipre is touted as being resource friendly. It would be nice to have some input on that.

For me now, AVG is ok, but not the best.

I get lots of e-mail on a daily basis and use a pop3 e-mail client. Do any of these three AV programs (Avast, MSE or Panda Cloud) offer real-time e-mail/attachment protection?

IMO email scanners, webguard, webguard toolbars etc.. are all extra crap that does not help anything, they are unneeded. The realtime resident protection of any anti-virus should handle these attacks before your system is compromised.

They add these things to make people think they are getting more protection, they're not. You are either protected against malware/virus or not. It's kinda like adding a check point at your street corner when your driveway and house already have a impenetrable gate and fence around it.