Avira..Uniblue and the Ask Toolbar

hazelnut

• Moderators

There is a lot of talk going on at the Avira forum and elseware on the net about what is happening regarding Avira teaming up with Uniblue and Ask.

http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=131604&pageNo=1

http://www.avira.com/en/support-for-home-faq-detail/faqid/861

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I can guarantee if I see any of that crap appear in my installed Avira it will be poof they're gone and I'll solely use Microsoft Security Essentials on all our computers!

All I can really think about Avira going that route is DUMB ASS, they will lose hordes of people to Avast, MSE, etc., especially to MSE since it doesn't offer any third-party crap at all.

Although Avira Free was technically already "adware" with that stupid pop-up during updating which damn near everyone and their uncle and their dog with one leg hated for several years.

-------------

Edit:

Instead of waiting to see what happens I'm switching to Microsoft Security Essentials right now!

• 3 weeks later...

Unbelievable how unaware, uncaring or just plain ignorant Avira is for this policy change. A product designed to stop stuff just like the Ask toolbar is now installing it their self. It was on Avira's list of malware, at least intil they got paid to trick people into installing it. Reputation destroyed and rightfully so.

They deserve to completely go out of business and I hope they do.

Although Avira Free was technically already "adware" with that stupid pop-up during updating which damn near everyone and their uncle and their dog with one leg hated for several years.

-------------

Edit:

Instead of waiting to see what happens I'm switching to Microsoft Security Essentials right now!

Now, don't hold back, Andavari, say what you mean. 1.gif

But seriously, do you not like Avast?

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

But seriously, do you not like Avast?

Avast Free still gives me random BSOD's at boot that started in version 5 and continues in version 6. Plus it really doesn't like some of my perfectly clean software wanting to "auto-sandbox" it one in particular which I'm always using is Metapad which is my Notepad replacement - seriously a text viewer/editor is "suspicious" to it - god forbid it can modify text documents! Telling it to ignore the software works, but it still causes the software to take forever to start so it isn't worth the trouble.

Summary I won't use Avast Free or AntiVir Free ever again, and AVG Free is even worst in my opinion.

@ Andavari. Yep, that auto sandbox is annoying, seems to have started with this last program update. At the next restart I'm gonna turn it off, don't need it. Hadn't thought about it 'till you mentioned it.

Otherwise Avast gives no problems here...does run a bit heavy.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

The Avira AntiVir toolbar ("Ask.com") toolbar has arrived, even for paying Premium users.:(Source.

Now that this has been confirmed, like Andavari, I too may have to make a change from Avira (Premium), which by the way has served me very well for a number of years.

I've been looking at Avast and MSE? Which do you think would be the best choice -- and why?

• Moderators

I've been looking at Avast and MSE? Which do you think would be the best choice -- and why?

A verses B never really answer it best Tom.

Try both (not at the same time of course!) and see which suites you, your machine, and your other software best. They are both good really.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

A verses B never really answer it best Tom.

Try both (not at the same time of course!) and see which suites you, your machine, and your other software best. They are both good really.

Point well taken, Hazel. Just curious, what are you currently using?

• Moderators

I assume this is some BHO crap you can uninstall later, or would that cripple Avria??

According to reports users of AntiVir Free are getting constant update reminders to install the toolbar. Oh well, there's nothing like digging a hole and then jumping in it, farewell Avira!

Try both and see what you like. I personally like MSE, there's also Panda Cloud Antivirus Free, so don't forget that one. MSE however is the only one that doesn't show any ad's, and doesn't try to install any 3rd party stuff, etc., the only 100% clean in my opinion free antivirus.

It's companies like Avria that make me want visit astalavista and search for "patch" :D

I'm sure the toolbar can be crippled without it complaining but I won't bother since I don't use Avira anyway.

Richard S.

I get lots of e-mail on a daily basis and use a pop3 e-mail client. Do any of these three AV programs (Avast, MSE or Panda Cloud) offer real-time e-mail/attachment protection?

As far as I'm aware AVG has a built-in email scanner but it should be noted that it's capability of generating false positives is quite shocking.

Richard S.

@ Tom AZ: ...Do any of these three AV programs (Avast, MSE or Panda Cloud) offer real-time e-mail/attachment protection?

Here is a picture from the setup routine, shows a "Mail Shield". Cannot say how effective it is, never used it, just ran the installer 'cause I thought I remembered seeing it. Seem to remember turning it off to speed up performance...

th_avast-setup.jpg

• Moderators

As far as I'm aware AVG has a built-in email scanner but it should be noted that it's capability of generating false positives is quite shocking.

That's the least of its problems. The last time I tried it, it would never enable the resident shield during start-up.

Edit:

I know Panda Cloud Antivirus Free doesn't have a dedicated email scanner/email shield, it's pretty barebones basic actually however it's super-lite on system resources.

That's the least of its problems. The last time I tried it, it would never enable the resident shield during start-up.

Edit:

I know Panda Cloud Antivirus Free doesn't have a dedicated email scanner/email shield, it's pretty barebones basic actually however it's super-lite on system resources.

I don't know which version of AVG you tried.

But I have no problems with it at the moment.

Resident shield always loads on mine. The 2011 version seems some better at protection than 2010 & 2009 versions of it.

Sure, there are occasional false positives such as Vispa settings changer being flagged falsely as a virus, but it doesn't auto delete it and lets you whitelist it. It simply show it suspicious. Now, I know no antivirus is perfect, but I will say this.

-> Avira -> Annoying advertisements, but you can block the update reminder part of the program in the XP group policy editor. I assume you can in Vista & 7 as well. Boom! No more spamvertising.

-> Avast -> Too many false positives at last check. Occasional system crashes on computers you install it on

-> AVG -> Sometimes has a false positive, but in general, seems to be the free antivirus that is easier to set up without problems. Seems pretty decent for normal users when used in conjunction with non IE browsers & a good firewall

At the moment, I use AVG, because it seems to encounter fewer problems when you try it on multiple computers, & it seems to work pretty decent with little fuss.

Vipre av on xp which I won in a competition. MSE on Win7.

hazelnut,

How are you liking Vipre? Is it working ok for you? Comments?

I had been using avast, but suddenly it started to freeze my mouse when starting a scan, very mysterious. And it is avast , as AVG works perfectly, but it isn't my favorite. Avira works perfectly too, but with the new problems it has, I wouldn't even consider it.

So, basicly, I'm looking for a good AV for an older XP system, AMD 3000+, 2 gigs and I wouldn't mind paying for one, if it works well and doesn't slow me down.

Thanks.