Opera and Flash 10.3.181.22

TeeJay3800

Ever since I upgraded to Flash Player 10.3.181.22, I've been having trouble playing videos in Opera 11.11. A few seconds into the video (YouTube for example), the video will freeze while the audio continues normally. The entire browser freezes and becomes unresponsive during that time. This happens on both my Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7 SP1 computers, and only in Opera and only on the newest update to Flash released a few days ago (videos play fine in IE and Iron). Any ideas?

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

• Moderators

I have opera 11.11 (build 2109) and flash **22.

I have just watched this all the way through as a test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLZRWNdGCUc

Have you had a look at your flash settings (now in control panel) just in case anything strikes you as odd.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Videos play fine for me too with Opera 11.01.

My problem is I can't see them on the forum now, and it isn't my Hosts File, and nothing to do with the update. I'm still looking for a reason when I can remember to do it.

EDIT: I can see it with Firefox, but's that's just an aside as this is Teejays topic.

• Moderators

Just a thought. IE uses a different Flash Player plugin to Opera. Did you go to the download site with Opera?

Maybe uninstall the Opera plugin and install it again.

Download Browser Plugin: Firefox, Safari, Opera:

For those who may not know ...

Opera Plugin is "flash_player.exe"

IE Plugin is "flash_player_ax.exe"

Thanks all. I've uninstalled both versions of Flash completely (IE and non-IE) and re-installed after downloading fresh from FileHippo. Hazel, I too was able to watch that entire video. The first couple YouTube videos I watch play fine, but after watching 2 or 3, the problem begins. When the problem happens, CPU on opera.exe is maxed out at 99-100% until I manually close that tab. I've tried going to Flash settings in Control Panel and clearing all data, but the problem persists. As far as I can tell, it's unique to Flash 10.3.181.22 and Opera 11.11. With the previous version of Flash, YouTube played fine in Opera 11.11, and the latest version of Flash plays fine in Iron and IE. It doesn't seem to be OS dependent as it happens on both XP and 7.

This problem may not specifically be Opera's fault, but nevertheless it only occurs in Opera. I also have other strange issues with Opera, like hitting the back button doesn't return me to the part of the page I was on (this issue is very obvious on Wikipedia). All these things combined and I'm seriously considering dumping it for good. That would be a shame, because it's still my overall favorite. Anyway, sorry for the rant. :)

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

FWIW, I just installed the latest opera and flash, same setup as you TeeJay, and watched some of those music vids. They are jerky here, might freeze for an instant. The older version of opera and flash seemed smoother, and ie8 shows no problems.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

They are jerky here, might freeze for an instant

I bet your CPU is being pegged which is a common problem while using Adobe's ***ty and badly optimised Flash Player.

When the CPU overloads it cannot render all the frames in time and must drop some thus causing jerky video playback.

If your graphics card has h.264 hardware support then enabling hardware acceleration in settings should help.

Flash has never been jerk free for me which I can't understand because I have no problems watching full screen using WMP, VLC or XMBC.

Richard S.

I bet your CPU is being pegged which is a common problem while using Adobe's ***ty and badly optimised Flash Player.

When the CPU overloads it cannot render all the frames in time and must drop some thus causing jerky video playback.

If your graphics card has h.264 hardware support then enabling hardware acceleration in settings should help.

Flash has never been jerk free for me which I can't understand because I have no problems watching screen using WMP, VLC or XMBC.

Richard S.

Thanks, Redhawk. I briefly watched the RAM & CPU with Process Explorer, and all was OK. But I didn't watch it for long, so that could have been the situation. Hardware acceleration is enabled. Newer Opera and flash are is gone now after restart, so it may be a while until I can check it out

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

You are right, Redhawk. Playing that video in Opera requires almost 9 times as much CPU as IE8 (23.28% vs 2.69%) and still uses about 62 percent as much RAM (51,104k vs 81,812k).

That is, If I did the math right. It's been a while. ;)

It did play better this time, maybe because only Opera was running, same setup as TeeJay & Hazel.

• Moderators

TeeJay, I stayed with Opera 11.01 because of a glitch in 11.11, so maybe try reverting to this version to see if it's a combination of Opera 11.11 and the latest Flash update.

I'm more than happy with 11.01 as 11.11 doesn't do anything better or different for me, apart from the glitch with the Speed Dial.