DuckDuckgo

hazelnut

• Moderators

After reading about this elsewhere I have been using this as my default search engine for the past few days, and I like it.

http://www.duckduckgo.com/

It is very configurable as you can see, has loads of options and brings up very good search results.

Their illustrated guide of what happens when you use google is quite interesting to say the least!

http://donttrack.us/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Very interesting info Hazelnut, I shall give it a run as of now.................thank you. :)

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

Nice one, Hazel. A feather in your cap for sharing it. :-)

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

For a while now I've been toying with the idea of checking out other search engines (I've been using Google for a long time). My primary browser is Firefox.

One thing I noticed regarding DuckDuckgo is that the Web Of Trust icon does not appear after each entry in the search results like it does when I'm using Google or IE or Startingpage.

I'm not sure if this is due to a setting that I need to change or if it's a bigger problem than that. Thought I'd mention it to see if others who may use FF and WOT are noticing the same thing.

Edit: I figured it out. There is a setting that shows the WOT rating for listings appearing in DuckDuckgo searches. For those interested, I have included a jpg below.

post-23766-0-59828900-1307725672_thumb.jpg

Haven't tried DuckDuckGo for more than five minutes myself so did not really give it a chance. Instead I am still using Google but with the GoogleSharing add-on for Firefox which mixes your searches with other GoogleSharing users so that Google cannot track what you have been searching for.

Just so you know ;)

I'm actually liking Starting Page a bit more, simply for the fact is WOT shows up the little safe/unsafe icons all the time versus what it shows on DuckDuckGo.

cc1

I figured it out. There is a setting that shows the WOT rating for listings appearing in DuckDuckgo searches.

This got me looking at the settings and decided I wanted to change a few. I like that you can save your settings without a cookie for both DuckDuckGo and starting page. They both will generate a URL that you can save as a favorite or set as your home page.

This got me looking at the settings and decided I wanted to change a few. I like that you can save your settings without a cookie for both DuckDuckGo and starting page. They both will generate a URL that you can save as a favorite or set as your home page.

Yep. I recently figured that out too. And as Andavari mentioned, with StartPage, the WOT icons appear all the time. So that feature, plus being able to save my settings via a URL, have caused me to give StartPage a try.

Yep. I recently figured that out too. And as Andavari mentioned, with StartPage, the WOT icons appear all the time. So that feature, plus being able to save my settings via a URL, have caused me to give StartPage a try.

If you set DuckDuckGo to show "All WOT + favicons (both)", the WOT icons appear all the time. Trust, caution or warning for each result respectively.

If you set DuckDuckGo to show "All WOT + favicons (both)", the WOT icons appear all the time. Trust, caution or warning for each result respectively.

Thanks Jamin4u. Unfortunately, that's not completely how DuckDuckGo works on my system.

To clarify, I have it installed as a Firefox add-on. Since all cookies are deleted when I close FF, I am using the URL feature in DuckDuckGo to save its settings.

Here's what happens on my system. As shown in image 1, when I use the search box shown by the arrow, then WOT icons appear.

Image 1

post-23766-0-84164200-1307937062_thumb.jpg

But if I use the seach box shown in image 2, then WOT icons do not appear.

Image 2

post-23766-0-11010200-1307937152_thumb.jpg

When I use StartPage, the WOT icons appear regardless of the search box that is used.

• 2 months later...

So what's the go with DuckDuckgo?

Should I add the 1st (DuckDuckgo) or (DuckDuckgo SSL) to my search engine list?

• 2 months later...