Tray Notification Cache CCleaner 3.07.1457

RPL

Hi everyone and to the Piriform Developer Team,

I used Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, 32 bits and CCleaner 3.07.1457.

ccleaner.ini

[Options]
Language=1033
WINDOW_LEFT=624
WINDOW_TOP=73
JumplistTasks=0
BackupPrompt=0
WINDOW_WIDTH=733
WINDOW_HEIGHT=525
WINDOW_MAX=0
UpdateKey=10/30/2010 07:47:11 PM
DelayTemp=1
MSG_CONFIRMCLEAN=False
(App)Game Explorer=True
(App)Windows Error Reporting=True
(App)DNS Cache=True
(App)Start Menu Shortcuts=True
(App)Desktop Shortcuts=True
(App)FTP Accounts=True
(App)Menu Order Cache=True
(App)Window Size/Location Cache=True
(App)Custom Folders=True
(App)Thumbnail Cache=False
(App)Google Chrome - Cookies=False
(App)Google Chrome - Download History=False
(App)Google Chrome - Internet Cache=False
(App)Google Chrome - Internet History=False
(App)Google Chrome - Session=False
(App)Tray Notifications Cache=True
(App)MS Search Helper Extension=True
(App)Mozilla - Internet Cache=False

I'm experiencing possible bug in which the "Try Notification Cache" feature is not working. After trying several times with this option enabled. None of this obsolete notification cache where removed.

I wonder if it is really a bug or this feature is not available in my Windows Version.

If this is found to be a bug. It will be great to be fixed in the next version

Thanks very much.

RPL

Hi, and welcome to the forums! :)

To clear the Tray Notification cache, you must restart Windows Explorer. Have you done this?

No, but I've rebooted my pc several times and nothing has changed, considering that the notification cached is obsolete. I think it's more than enough.

Thanks, I appreciate your time.

RPL

• Moderators

I confirm that old notifications are not cleared in newer Operating systems.

See correction below

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

You actually have to:

1. Run CCleaner with Tray Notifications Cache ticked/enabled. Remember to untick/disable it after finished since you don't want to have it run everytime when using CCleaner!

2. Use CTRL+ALT+DEL to pull up Task Manager (or right click the SysTray and select Task Manager), and then End Process on explorer.exe

3. Now in Task Manager click: 'File->New Task (Run)': explorer.exe

On Windows XP systems it involves one extra step, otherwise customizations won't be saved:

4. Reboot.

You actually have to:

1. Run CCleaner with Tray Notifications Cache ticked/enabled. Remember to untick/disable it after finished since you don't want to have it run everytime when using CCleaner!

2. Use CTRL+ALT+DEL to pull up Task Manager (or right click the SysTray and select Task Manager), and then End Process on explorer.exe

3. Now in Task Manager click: 'File->New Task (Run)': explorer.exe

On Windows XP systems it involves one extra step, otherwise customizations won't be saved:

4. Reboot.

I confirmed that this steps really works but it seems to be a workaround. It would be great if ccleaner can managed this alone. I'm not saying this because I hate this steps, but instead it will make ccleaner a better tool to everyone.

Thanks for all your help.

RPL

• Moderators

Not a workaround at all since CCleaner has never did an "end process" of explorer.exe, so it's unintuitive how to make it's Tray Notifications Cache cleaning work. You aren't the first person to ask about it though.

It would be great if ccleaner can managed this alone. I'm not saying this because I hate this steps, but instead it will make ccleaner a better tool to everyone.

I think this is wrong and incredibly dangerous, and should not be unleashed on users who trust the safety of CCleaner.

1. On Windows 7 ultimate 4 core 64 bit I have TWO processes with the name Explorer.exe.

They remain two regardless of when I have 4 instances of exploration in 4 different folders, or when I have zero instances.

How do I identify which one of the two processes to zap ?

2. Recently using XP I zapped the Explorer.exe process in a vain attempt at kicking starting an Icon Cache Rebuild.

Everything went crazy until a reboot (but still no Icon Cache).

I recall pre-XP Windows which would have an uncontrolled shutdown if Explorer.exe was zapped.

If a user has not saved ALL his "Work In Progress" files before CCleaner puts Windows into a tailspin he will be one unhappy bunny.

• Moderators

The real simple solution would be to just request a system restart, or log off, etc., of course with a prompt to the user that a restart or log off must be done to clear out the Tray Notifications Cache.

• Moderators

I confirm that old notifications are not cleared in newer Operating systems.

See correction below

Something may have changed on this tick-mark since the last time I tried it. Previously, yes i had been restarting explorer after clean, this feature was not doing it's job on vista/7. I just tried it again, and restarted explorer, and it did work.

I also note that checking this entry does produce a warning telling the user they must restart explorer (using WarningRef)

post-21882-0-90560900-1307476800_thumb.jpg

Below is the current locations cleaned by this entry in ccleaner

[Tray Notifications Cache]
ID=1021
LangSecRef=3004
LangRef=3126
WarningRef=3204
Detect=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects
RegKey1=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify|IconStreams
RegKey2=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify|PastIconsStream
RegKey3=HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify|IconStreams
RegKey4=HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify|PastIconsStream

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

Something may have changed on this tick-mark since the last time I tried it. Previously, yes i had been restarting explorer after clean, this feature was not doing it's job on vista/7. I just tried it again, and restarted explorer, and it did work.

When my OS was Windows XP before, I would not end and restart the process of explorer after using ccleaner instead I restarted my windows and the obsolete notification cached were gone. But when I shifted my OS to Windows 7, when using ccleaner and restarted my OS nothing happens in the notification cached. No matter how many times you done this it won't do it's job until and only your restart your explorer after cleaning and you have to restart the explorer before restarting or shutting down your windows 7 or else notification cached will not be removed.

Yes, I havn't notice the changes in warning untill I ticked and unticked the box I havn't notice this because I'm using my ini configuration since then. When an update comes I usually just replace ccleaner.exe only.

Actually, you just have to delete this two entries in the registry.

HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify|IconStreams
HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify|PastIconsStream

and restart the explorer.

Windows 7 has different approached before shutting down, logging off and restarting in this entries it will write and fetch data from its memory. Therefore, when the notification cached is not cleared from it's memory then nothing will be changed, it will right back all the cached from the memory to the registry. So that's why you have to restart explorer to clear the cached.

• Moderators

Restarting the Computer (as you did with XP) IS restarting Explorer. Restarting explorer was all that was needed in XP (as it follows that it is now what is needed with Vista/Win7)

As you can see the Two reg keys that you say "Actually, you just have to delete this two entries in the registry." are in the items cleaned by this entry, they are already removed.